VM wont start internal error: Did not find USB device 1c4f:0048

I have a Linux Mint 19 xfce VM that now wont start,  Ive tried changing the  [USB Controller:]  setting and turning off [USB Devices:]

This VM installed and worked fine. Havent started it for a few months,  now getting back to it,  it wont work!
I would just create a new VM,  but this seems to be a common issue,  so need a permanent fix.

@casperse Which Xml file did you edit?

Get error:

Execution error

internal error: Did not find USB device 1c4f:0048

lsusb reports:

Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:8001 Intel Corp.
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
    Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:8009 Intel Corp.
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
    Bus 003 Device 003: ID 0b05:17cf ASUSTek Computer, Inc.
    Bus 003 Device 002: ID 0951:1665 Kingston Technology Digital DataTraveler SE9 64GB
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Libvirt Log:

2019-05-02 11:18:08.884+0000: 4522: warning : virHostdevReAttachUSBDevices:1875 : Unable to find device 000.000 in list of active USB devices
    2019-05-02 11:18:08.884+0000: 4522: warning : virHostdevReAttachUSBDevices:1875 : Unable to find device 000.000 in list of active USB devices
    2019-05-02 11:19:01.447+0000: 4522: error : virDomainHostdevSubsysPCIDefParseXML:7440 : internal error: unknown pci source type 'vendor'
    2019-05-02 11:19:42.466+0000: 4529: error : virDomainHostdevSubsysPCIDefParseXML:7440 : internal error: unknown pci source type 'vendor'

And cant save changes to VM settings,  but get error:     

VM creation error

internal error: unknown pci source type 'vendor'

It looks like the USB IDs have changed and the VM controller is not updating them?
Does anyone have suggestions as to a permanent fix?

Edited by lemoncurry

Ok,  found an issue with  /etc/libvirt/qemu/LinuxMint-XFCE.xml

There were duplicate entries for <hostdev mode='subsystem' type='usb' managed='no'>

<hostdev mode='subsystem' type='usb' managed='no'>
      <source>
        <vendor id='0x1c4f'/>
        <product id='0x0048'/>
      </source>
      <address type='usb' bus='0' port='3'/>
    </hostdev>

<source>
        <vendor id='0x0b05'/>
        <product id='0x17cf'/>
      </source>
      <address type='usb' bus='0' port='1'/>
    </hostdev>

After removed the offending entry for 1c4f:0048 it boots up,  but as yet wont see any usb drives plugged in.

The remaining questions are ..
How did this entry become incorrect, get inserted etc.?

Will this be an ongoing issue.?

Edited by lemoncurry
  • Thanks 2

Ok, Thanks,  that is interesting.  1c4f:0048= SiGma Micro most likely a Keyboard.
So given the many other reports of VM start-up issues that seem to be caused by Unraid being  "Unable to find device",  clearly there are fundamental issues with the  process UnRaid is using. In presence06's case,  not having a particular removable USB device plugged in should not prevent a VM from starting!  I can understand such issues relating to GPU and more permanent peripherals,  but to fail on an un-found removable device comes under the "bug" category. This is a Bug.

Edited by lemoncurry
  • Upvote 1
  • 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Dear All

I'm new with Unraid :)

I've got the same issuen. I have a Linux VM that now wont start,  I've tried changing the USB Controller setting and turning off USB Devices

This VM installed and worked fine. I've changed my cuomputer form intel nuc with celeron to intel nuc with i3. Now it won't work!

I've got an: execution error

internal error: Did not find USB device 8087:0aa7

lsusb looks like:
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0781:5583 SanDisk Corp. Ultra Fit
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 8087:0aaa Intel Corp.

After removed the offending entry for 8087:0aaa it boots up,  but as won't see any usb drives plugged in.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
On 4/16/2020 at 6:37 PM, wojcioo said:

Dear All

I'm new with Unraid :)

I've got the same issuen. I have a Linux VM that now wont start,  I've tried changing the USB Controller setting and turning off USB Devices

This VM installed and worked fine. I've changed my cuomputer form intel nuc with celeron to intel nuc with i3. Now it won't work!

I've got an: execution error

internal error: Did not find USB device 8087:0aa7

lsusb looks like:
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0781:5583 SanDisk Corp. Ultra Fit
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 8087:0aaa Intel Corp.

After removed the offending entry for 8087:0aaa it boots up,  but as won't see any usb drives plugged in.

it could be a different set of problems. you need to pass through the USB port to the VM to see the USB drives connected.

• 1 month later...
On 5/2/2019 at 7:25 AM, lemoncurry said:

Ok,  found an issue with  /etc/libvirt/qemu/LinuxMint-XFCE.xml

There were duplicate entries for <hostdev mode='subsystem' type='usb' managed='no'>

<source>
        <vendor id='0x1c4f'/>
        <product id='0x0048'/>
      </source>
      <address type='usb' bus='0' port='3'/>
    </hostdev>

<source>
        <vendor id='0x0b05'/>
        <product id='0x17cf'/>
      </source>
      <address type='usb' bus='0' port='1'/>
    </hostdev>

After removed the offending entry for 1c4f:0048 it boots up,  but as yet wont see any usb drives plugged in.

The remaining questions are ..
How did this entry become incorrect, get inserted etc.?

Will this be an ongoing issue.?

this worked for me.  thanks for the post - saved me many hours of trying to figure it out/reinstalling my VM.

• 10 months later...
3 hours ago, Kevin Marchese said:

it's 2021, same issue. 

If you use my USB_Manager plugin then you can remove USB assignments from the VM template and the plugin will automatically attach the USB at VM Start if specified. Also it will auto connect devices if you have defined them when you disconnect and reconnect them physically if the VM is running. Port mappings are also posible so any USB device connected to a specific port is attach to the VM is running.

I plan to investigate if I can create mappings in my plugin from the template still WIP.

• Like 1
On 7/4/2021 at 3:37 AM, SimonF said:

If you use my USB_Manager plugin then you can remove USB assignments from the VM template and the plugin will automatically attach the USB at VM Start if specified. Also it will auto connect devices if you have defined them when you disconnect and reconnect them physically if the VM is running. Port mappings are also posible so any USB device connected to a specific port is attach to the VM is running.

I plan to investigate if I can create mappings in my plugin from the template still WIP.

@SimonF Thank you, off topic - I had many issues coming back online with Unraid. I was very overwhelmed for the past 2/3 weeks trying to get this all back online again. You all have made amazing improvements since I last used it and I was just frustrated honestly. However, C-states was really messing me up in my bios settings. I couldn't believe that Unraid would just go offline until I realized that some Bios low power setting (or c-states apparently ) was causing me to go insane. I apologize for my ignorant frustrations, I have a world to understand. Once you familiarize yourself with your set up along with SpaceInvader one's absolutely critical tutorials it starts to make more sense. Unraid is amazing and its actually helping me better understand more advanced computing and I can't thank you all enough for that. 

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...

A google search led me to this thread.   Not to be too much of a smart Alek, but how is this still a thing?   I pulled a USB device from my system (because my Home Assistant OS just can't seem to make my Zigbee dongle work).   So, simply reinserting it and now the VM launches again.   Someone needs to fix this.   🙂 

• 1 month later...