unRaid Parity sync/Data rebuild only running at 5.2 MB/s

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Okay... so I had a drive start to go bad. I was running on an old AMD FX 9590 CPU on a Sabertooth Motherboard. I have 10 drives with 2 Parity Drives. I moved the whole system over to a dual Xeon x5670 system with 32GB of ECC Memory on a SuperMicro X8DTH Motherboard. I have a 1070 and a 1070ti GPU. All of this just to run Plex and a VM. I also have 2-240GB SSDs for cache. All of this power, and when I started the new system, it detected an error on disk 1. So I bought a new 8TB HDD and replaced the disk and started the parity/sync rebuild. All of this information and diagnostics info to ask why the heck my rebuild is this slow? I have more than enough processing power, and the speeds of all of the drives should be fast enough. So what's the issue?

server-diagnostics-20190503-0217.zip

1 hour ago, Yeremyah777 said:

Okay... so I had a drive start to go bad. I was running on an old AMD FX 9590 CPU on a Sabertooth Motherboard. I have 10 drives with 2 Parity Drives. I moved the whole system over to a dual Xeon x5670 system with 32GB of ECC Memory on a SuperMicro X8DTH Motherboard. I have a 1070 and a 1070ti GPU. All of this just to run Plex and a VM. I also have 2-240GB SSDs for cache. All of this power, and when I started the new system, it detected an error on disk 1. So I bought a new 8TB HDD and replaced the disk and started the parity/sync rebuild. All of this information and diagnostics info to ask why the heck my rebuild is this slow? I have more than enough processing power, and the speeds of all of the drives should be fast enough. So what's the issue?

server-diagnostics-20190503-0217.zip 149.99 kB · 0 downloads

Your diagnostics show that you are continually getting resets on the drive with serial ‘WDC WD80EMAZ-00WJTA0_7HJXXEMF‘  (ata8) which will explain the slow speed.    You might want to check all cabling to this drive.

2 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

Your 10 port SATA controller is in reality a 2 port controller with 2 SATA port multipliers, this is very bad news both for performance and reliability, suggest you get an LSI HBA instead.

Ouch yes that is a huge bottleneck for this system. 

2 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

Your 10 port SATA controller is in reality a 2 port controller with 2 SATA port multipliers, this is very bad news both for performance and reliability, suggest you get an LSI HBA instead.

I have 2 of these (Gigabyte GC-RLE086-RH LSI 1068E HBA card 8-port SAS /SATA PCI-E array card=3081e) enroute to me. will these be good enough, or should I go for something like this? (LSI SAS 9211-8i 8-port 6Gb/s PCIe HBA RAID SATA Controller card=M1015)

Okay... here I am a week later, $100 spent on some newer tech, flashing the Mobo SAS to IT mode as well. and now I have the same issue. It's now 5.9MB/s and hits as high as 8MB/s, but I think this is still too low. I openly admit that I am VERY new to this, bu love this software solution and appreciate any advice I can obtain to tune this system to perform at peak performance.

dunham-server-diagnostics-20190511-0436.zip

• Solution

There is no SMART info for any disk, go to settings -> disk settings and reset SMART options, alternatively delete /boot/config/smart-all.cfg and reboot, then grab new diags.

Also a good idea to update the firmware for HBAs, two are very old and another is running a release with known problems.