Will my Config run 2 Gaming VM's ?

Hey Guys, I just wanted to know if I would be able to run 2 VM's for Gaming. Since I am having a doubt with regards to my CPU's Core/Thread Count. 

Would it be sufficient to power up to two VM's?

These are the Specifications:

CPU: i7 6700K (Skylake) - 4 Core/8 Threads.

GPU 1: MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
GPU 2: ZOTAC GTX 960

OnBoard Graphic: HD 530
RAM: 16 GB (8x8GB)

CPU.png

More and more games these days are benefit from multicore CPUs. You will see better performance with more cores on modern titles. Unraid itself always uses core0+HT so you left with 6 threads you can use for your VMs. Best performance you will get by isolating these cores, means prevent everything else from using them. You will end up with 2x3core VMs or 1x2 and 1x4. Is that enough for the game you wanna play??? How much RAM your game needs? Next question. 6GB for each VM and 4GB for Unraid itself? You can test Unraid 30days without limitations if you're interested in Unraid and see if the performance is OK for your needs. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, bastl said:

More and more games these days are benefit from multicore CPUs. You will see better performance with more cores on modern titles. Unraid itself always uses core0+HT so you left with 6 threads you can use for your VMs. Best performance you will get by isolating these cores, means prevent everything else from using them. You will end up with 2x3core VMs or 1x2 and 1x4. Is that enough for the game you wanna play??? How much RAM your game needs? Next question. 6GB for each VM and 4GB for Unraid itself? You can test Unraid 30days without limitations if you're interested in Unraid and see if the performance is OK for your needs. 

I want to run modern titles at 1080p so what would be my Core/Thread Count per VM excluding Unraid! 
7GB Minimum RAM would be required.

I would not be using Docker

Edited by Shane.Menezes
needed to add more info

@Shane.Menezes In this case you can forget the idea of playing AAA titles on 2 VMs at the same time. One VM with 6 threads and 2 threads for Unraid is ok, but splitting this between 2 VMs? You won't be happy with it. Play some games and check your CPU load. If it's 50%, double it and you have your CPU in the best case with 2 VMs at it's max, without counting in some ressources Unraid needs. I hope you understand which direction I try to point you. Every system behaves differently, and every user has different expectations. 2-3 VMs for Office stuff and media consumption your system is fine. A gaming VM + a lightweight VM should also be no problem but modern games are more and more make use of more CPU cores. Less CPU cores = less performance = less graphics quality and fps. Some games have a minimum of 4 cores as requirement to even run. Just sayin