Parity bunked SHARES EMPTY!! HELP PLEASE!

I purchased two new hard drives to add to my service. The 6TB drive came first so I installed it to replace a 2TB drive.  I SO STUPIDLY and impatiently stopped the data rebuild of the 2TB drive with the new 6TB drive because I received the 8TB drive the same day the 6TB pre-clear finished and I started the drive replacement.  As I started my "auto start array" server with the 8TB drive added and no other drives removed, except for the 2TB drive that was previously removed, the array started with my second parity dead and lost and the 8TB drive in the unassigned disk area of the GUI.  I then stopped the array and replaced the second and suddenly not working parity drive with the 8TB drive.  At this point the array is rebuilding with the new 6TB drive to be rebuilt with the data of the 2TB drive and the 8TB drive as the second parity drive.  The parity sync has finished but a majority of my shares no longer contain the family pictures and movies I have accumulated over the years.  

I still have the 2TB drive as it was when it was removed from the server.  The original 6TB second parity drive has been reformatted and is now apart of the array as a data drive UDMA error count of 7.  The data still exists between the server and the 2TB drive but I cannot access any of it via the command line or GUI.

Please help me recover the shares.  I am not afraid of the command line.  I am going to shut down the server indefinitely in order to preserve any chance of recovering the data.  I understand the parity is bunked but all of the data still exists between the array and the 2TB i previously removed which is still intact and in my possession.

Thanks in advance,

djhunter67

I was thinking of putting the 2TB HDD back in and rebuilding the parity through the settings tab option. Bad idea?

tower-diagnostics-20190505-1708.zip

Edited by djhunter67

If there's still disk acvtivy yes, but that looks like a very corrupt filesystem, it's not quite clear to me from the OP if the rebuild of that disk finished or not, it it never finished it will be corrupt, and in that case you're better of using the old disk and re-syncing parity (or format the new disk and copy everything from the old one).

I am so willing and able to use the 2TB to correct everything I am just unsure of the best method to go about doing that? Delete the contents of the 6TB disk 7 and put the 2TB onto the array along with the formatted 6TB or take the 6TB out, use another system to copy the contents exactly from the 2TB ( I do not know how to do that, I do have a bare metal Fedora 30 machine).

Re-syncing the parity is really appealing to me but I am not sure how that works.

Edited by djhunter67
2 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

If the idea is to keep the new 6TB disk in place and you have a spare SATA port to connect the old one, just format the new disk and mount the old one with the UD plugin, then copy the data to the array.

I want to be exactly clear about this so I do not mess it up.  Add the 2TB to the server, let it sit in the Unassigned devices.  Move the 6TB to Unassigned Devices, format the 6TB, while the array is down.  With the terminal use "cp" or "mv" or "rsync" to get the data from the 2TB to the 6TB?  Should I then parity sync afterwards?

Edited by djhunter67
Just now, djhunter67 said:

Format the 6TB while it sits as apart of the array, while the array is down. 

Format is done with the array running, if disk7 si still mounting, stop the array, click on it and choose a different filesystem, start the array and format, then repeat the process and format again to get it back to the original filesystem.

2 minutes ago, djhunter67 said:

With the terminal use "cp" or "mv" or "rsync" to get the data from the 2TB to the 6TB?  Should I then parity sync afterwards?

You can use your favorite command/util to do the copy, assuming parity is valid no need to do a sync, you can always run a parity check.

1 hour ago, johnnie.black said:

Format the 6TB while it sits as apart of the array, while the array is down. 

Format is done with the array running, if disk7 si still mounting, stop the array, click on it and choose a different filesystem, start the array and format, then repeat the process and format again to get it back to the original filesystem.

I'm sorry. I have no idea how to format the disk. It is seen as apart of the array and I have stopped and started the array several times trying to figure out to format disk number 7, the 6TB.  Could you explain further please?

I understand I have to format to a different filesystem first and then back to XFS but I do not see the option anywhere to format the disk.

The array keeps wanting to sync the 6TB drive everytime I add it to the array. I'm not sure what to do. And I can't mount the 2TB in unassigned devices because the filesystem is xfs.

Edited by djhunter67
57 minutes ago, djhunter67 said:

I'm sorry. I have no idea how to format the disk. It is seen as apart of the array and I have stopped and started the array several times trying to figure out to format disk number 7, the 6TB.  Could you explain further please?

I understand I have to format to a different filesystem first and then back to XFS but I do not see the option anywhere to format the disk.

Click on the disk to get to its page. There you can change its filesystem.

16 minutes ago, trurl said:

Click on the disk to get to its page. There you can change its filesystem.

while its apart of the array and the array is active?

Also, the disk is now in an emulated state since I reformatted it in Unassigned Devices. Does that matter?

5 hours ago, djhunter67 said:

while its apart of the array and the array is active?

Also, the disk is now in an emulated state since I reformatted it in Unassigned Devices. Does that matter?

You should have done it while it was part of the array. Since you removed it from the array then you will have to rebuild it then reformat it while it is in the array, or you will have to set a New Config and rebuild parity instead.