[Support] Josh.5 Docker Templates

The lancache is working amazing for me now.  And it's much faster than the other steamcache docker.  I can actually get this to run at lanspeed (gigabit for me at present) which never happened on the steamcache docker.

Thanks so much for this.

One thing I was wondering, it does windows updates, what about apple?  I haven't seen anyone doing this, so am wondering if it's possible.

The lancache is working amazing for me now.  And it's much faster than the other steamcache docker.  I can actually get this to run at lanspeed (gigabit for me at present) which never happened on the steamcache docker.

Thanks so much for this.

One thing I was wondering, it does windows updates, what about apple?  I haven't seen anyone doing this, so am wondering if it's possible.
For the apple caching, you will need to make a request at
https://github.com/uklans/cache-domains/

3 hours ago, jbartlett said:

I'd try setting up lancache to use different ports (under show more settings) and point it to the Pi-Hole IP for it's DNS.

In the setup for the lancache docker it specifically says not to change ports 53, 80, or 443. I think both it and Pi-Hole need to listen on those ports because they are filtering web traffic, right? I'm certainly not a networking expert, it just seems logical to me that they both do the same thing to the extent that they process DNS traffic on those ports?

3 hours ago, Marshalleq said:

Or possibly set them up on their own IP addresses by using the bridge option.

I tried changing it to bridge mode (from using br0 with its own IP previously) and this is what I got:

/usr/bin/docker: Error response from daemon: driver failed programming external connectivity on endpoint lancache-bundle ( ... ) Error starting userland proxy: listen udp 0.0.0.0:53: bind: address already in use.

Edited by NostalgicGnome

Yeah, I don't know why Bridge mode is called Bridge, because in Unraid it's actually referring to NAT as far as I know.  I have a vague recollection it might be some confusing docker terminology.  I'd suggest you set up both containers using br0 with their own IP address.  Then you can point one to the other.  'Bridge' mode can only have one container within the whole bridge with a specific port.  Br0 on the other hand could have the same port on multiple IP addresses.

3 minutes ago, NostalgicGnome said:

I tried changing it to bridge mode (from using br0 with its own IP previously) and this is what I got:

You have to setup the lancache as your DNS server and then have PiHole as the upstream DNS

My PiHole was set to Custom: br0 and I set an IP address of 192.168.200.2

For my Lancache I setup as Custom: br0 and set the IP address as 192.168.200.3

My Lancache was setup to connect to 192.168.200.2 for DNS, my network was setup to give only 192.168.200.3 as the DNS server.

PiHole got DNS from outside sources. (1.1.1.1, 8.8.8.8)

Awesome container mate, been working wonderfully.

I did have a question about making a copy of the cache and if that was possible, forgive me, I'm very new to nginx.
background-

I have unraid doing all the things, can't really pick it up and bring it with me.

I have a synology nas I would buy that I plan on installing your container on to bring with me to lan parties.

Is it possible to copy or sync the cache from unraid to synology and nginx will pick it up and just work?

Edited by JonnyDrive

Hi all.

Has anyone successfully migrated over their exsisting cache from Steamcache to lan cache?

I disabled Steamcache docker and downloaded lan cache.. I then gave lancahce the same fixed ip as steamcache docker had before and pointed the data file to the old steamcache folder where all my old downloaded cache was..

I tested a new download and that seemed to work fine after uninstalling/resinatlling in steam i see the download rate higher BUT for games i am sure are on the cache they seem to be downloading a fresh copy... is maybe the structure inside the steamcache folder different?

Also maybe another silly question but in the logs of steamcache you would see hit/miss items dependent on whether the game is in your steam cache.. all i see when i run "tail -fn1 /mnt/user/appdata/lancache-bundle/log/*/*.log" is a "get" message whether the game is cached or not?

Edited by enigma27

Awesome container mate, been working wonderfully.
I did have a question about making a copy of the cache and if that was possible, forgive me, I'm very new to nginx.
background-
I have unraid doing all the things, can't really pick it up and bring it with me.
I have a synology nas I would buy that I plan on installing your container on to bring with me to lan parties.
Is it possible to copy or sync the cache from unraid to synology and nginx will pick it up and just work?

This is more of a docker thing than an nginx thing. The beauty of docker is that you can shutdown this lancache-bundle container on unraid, create a tarball of your whole cache directory, then extract that archive on the Synology NAS wherever you are going to bind to the lancache-bundle container. If you do this, then as soon as you run the lancache-bundle container on the Synology NAS, it will see those cached files exactly the same as if it were being run on unraid. This is what docker is for, an agnostic wrapper around processes so that they run the same way in the same environment no matter where they are deployed.
44 minutes ago, Josh.5 said:

Thanks for the quick response!
Sounds like my idea may work, I was originally thinking of just using syncthing to sync the cache directory on each host that the lancache containers are using. Do you see any issues with that? I wouldn't be using both at the same time, it would be one or the other.

This is more of a docker thing than an nginx thing. The beauty of docker is that you can shutdown this lancache-bundle container on unraid, create a tarball of your whole cache directory, then extract that archive on the Synology NAS wherever you are going to bind to the lancache-bundle container. If you do this, then as soon as you run the lancache-bundle container on the Synology NAS, it will see those cached files exactly the same as if it were being run on unraid. This is what docker is for, an agnostic wrapper around processes so that they run the same way in the same environment no matter where they are deployed.

18 hours ago, enigma27 said:

Has anyone successfully migrated over their exsisting cache from Steamcache to lan cache?

When I was checking out this docker, I downloaded a new game on both steamcache & lancache and then checked to see if the files existed in both. They did not. I then assumed it was not compatible and I dumped the 2TB of steamcache files.

On 3/6/2020 at 6:23 PM, jbartlett said:

When I was checking out this docker, I downloaded a new game on both steamcache & lancache and then checked to see if the files existed in both. They did not. I then assumed it was not compatible and I dumped the 2TB of steamcache files.

Thanks. I decided to start a fresh

So whats the crack with Origin? i keep getting popups asking me to disable safe downloads because its detected a cached IP

Ive been checking my logs and they only seem to show Get and not Hit/Miss. Does that mean everything is fine? I never got steamcache to work properly and Id thought I would get this to work but I cant tell if it is. When I delete and reinstall a steam game the second time my speed is aroud 30MB's.

7 hours ago, fullnet85 said:

Ive been checking my logs and they only seem to show Get and not Hit/Miss. Does that mean everything is fine? I never got steamcache to work properly and Id thought I would get this to work but I cant tell if it is. When I delete and reinstall a steam game the second time my speed is aroud 30MB's.

if the speed is over what your normal maxxed out internet connection speed would be then yes its working fine.

For instance i'm on a 30meg connection and usually download around 3.2 from steam. i just uninstall and reinstalled a game and download speed peaked at 79.7

I have the same speed issue (or lack thereof) that had me wondering if it was really caching. I haven't done any recent tests on it but I'm still not 100% convinced.

There's a script inside the docker itself that tests if the cache is working. Open up a container terminal and type in: ./cache_test.sh

This reports that it's working for me (technically, you can only run it once to test).

I am having speed issues too. I have a symetrical gig connection to my ISP and my download speeds on steam are 60mb/s before I installed LanCache. After the install I am getting 2-15mb/s tops. Once LANCACHE has it cached it works perfectly (80-90MB/s). So right now I have a love hate relationship with it. I LOVE it once it has the files cached but I HATE how much it slows down my first download ^_^;

I am running this docker on unRAID with the following specs:

CPU: Intel® Xeon® CPU E3-1240 v5 @ 3.50GHz

HVM: Enabled

IOMMU: Enabled

Cache: 128 KiB, 128 KiB, 1024 KiB, 8192 KiB

Memory: 64 GiB DDR4 (max. installable capacity 64 GiB)

Network: bond0: fault-tolerance (active-backup), mtu 1500
 eth0: 1000 Mbps, full duplex, mtu 1500

Kernel: Linux 4.19.98-Unraid x86_64

OpenSSL: 1.1.1d

PS: I have a dual SFP+ NIC that I plan on installing bonded and my primary switch is fiber only 10g but unless I can figure out this issue, there is no point in installing it.

LANCACHE.png

I keep getting "We're having a problem transferring data. Please check your internet connection just in case and try again" every time I try to download something on battle.net... I don't get this when not using lancache.. any ideas what the problem could be?

EDIT: It was my VPN. Disabled my proxy and instantly it went back to working!

Edited by kayjay010101
20 hours ago, ONI said:

I am having speed issues too. I have a symetrical gig connection to my ISP and my download speeds on steam are 60mb/s before I installed LanCache. After the install I am getting 2-15mb/s tops. Once LANCACHE has it cached it works perfectly (80-90MB/s). So right now I have a love hate relationship with it. I LOVE it once it has the files cached but I HATE how much it slows down my first download ^_^;

I am running this docker on unRAID with the following specs:

CPU: Intel® Xeon® CPU E3-1240 v5 @ 3.50GHz

HVM: Enabled

IOMMU: Enabled

Cache: 128 KiB, 128 KiB, 1024 KiB, 8192 KiB

Memory: 64 GiB DDR4 (max. installable capacity 64 GiB)

Network: bond0: fault-tolerance (active-backup), mtu 1500
 eth0: 1000 Mbps, full duplex, mtu 1500

Kernel: Linux 4.19.98-Unraid x86_64

OpenSSL: 1.1.1d

PS: I have a dual SFP+ NIC that I plan on installing bonded and my primary switch is fiber only 10g but unless I can figure out this issue, there is no point in installing it.

LANCACHE.png

I am experiencing this same issue.

• Like 1