[Support] Josh.5 Docker Templates

4 hours ago, mrkambo said:

Can anyone advise on how i set this up correctly using PiHole...

My PiHole acts as a DHCP server and DNS - Its IP is 192.168.1.3, I've given lancache the IP of 192.168.1.4

Upstream in the container is 192.168.1.3 - is this correct?

Since PiHole has the ability to track individual devices, I would configured the DHCP server to hand out 192.168.1.3 and a fake IP address for the second IP.

Then, on PiHole, make it's upstream DNS custom and give it 192.168.1.4.

Then, on LanCache server, give it's upstream DNS as your ISP's DNS or 8.8.8.8, or whoever you prefer.

Using this method, you retain all the function of PiHole with the benefit of the LanCache server.  Just keep in mind that if DHCP hands out more than 192.168.1.3 as a valid IP address, things might not always work correctly, as windows doesn't use them as primary and if I can't talk to primary, use secondary, it will randomly use either of them depending on how it feels at the time.

You may also have to clear the DNS cache on the PiHole if it already knows the real IP address for the services you are trying to cache.

James

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jzawacki said:

Since PiHole has the ability to track individual devices, I would configured the DHCP server to hand out 192.168.1.3 and a fake IP address for the second IP.

Then, on PiHole, make it's upstream DNS custom and give it 192.168.1.4.

Then, on LanCache server, give it's upstream DNS as your ISP's DNS or 8.8.8.8, or whoever you prefer.

Using this method, you retain all the function of PiHole with the benefit of the LanCache server.  Just keep in mind that if DHCP hands out more than 192.168.1.3 as a valid IP address, things might not always work correctly, as windows doesn't use them as primary and if I can't talk to primary, use secondary, it will randomly use either of them depending on how it feels at the time.

You may also have to clear the DNS cache on the PiHole if it already knows the real IP address for the services you are trying to cache.

James

Thanks, this worked an absolute treat......

Hi,

just installed this on my machine.

On my gaming PC the primary DNS ist the lancache, secondary DNS the one from the main router.

With that set, a game is downloading only half or less of the normal download speed. Resetting DNS settings i get my usual 9.x-10 MB/s in Steam.

Any info where or how i could fix this?

EDIT:

Don't know why but at late night the problem got solved by itself. Even with the cache DNS i get full speed now...

Edited by maxik

Hi, I have just installed lancache docker on unraid and I am seeing these errors on the logs:

# Allow the use of state entries
proxy_cache_use_stale error timeout invalid_header updating http_500 http_502 http_503 http_504;

# Finished including /etc/nginx/sites-available/generic.conf.d/root/40_etags.conf
# Including /etc/nginx/sites-available/generic.conf.d/root/90_upstream.conf
# Upstream Configuration
proxy_next_upstream error timeout http_404;

Am I missing something?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/28/2020 at 6:56 PM, maxik said:

Hi,

just installed this on my machine.

On my gaming PC the primary DNS ist the lancache, secondary DNS the one from the main router.

With that set, a game is downloading only half or less of the normal download speed. Resetting DNS settings i get my usual 9.x-10 MB/s in Steam.

Any info where or how i could fix this?

EDIT:

Don't know why but at late night the problem got solved by itself. Even with the cache DNS i get full speed now...

As in a previous post, you cannot use 2 DNS addresses as windows will randomly choose one of them to use, which means sometimes you pc will use the cache to fulfil the request and other times it will use your router and bypass the cache entirely.

I have /data/cache pointing to a ZFS pool, which previously worked great.

Now I'm getting errors like this:

2021/01/23 01:29:15 [alert] 2410#2410: *66 sendfile() failed (22: Invalid argument), client: 192.168.x.x, server: , request: "GET etc, etc..."

TLDR: For lancache/nginx on ZFS, this needs to have a setting changed at /etc/nginx/nginx.conf

Instead of sendfile = on

It should be sendfile = off.

Once I change this and restart the docker, everthing works perfectly again.  Is there any way this can be exposed as a docker variable so it will survive container updates?

12 hours ago, ConnectivIT said:

Is there any way this can be exposed as a docker variable so it will survive container updates?

I'm guessing this would require changes to the upstream docker images and probably isn't going to happen.  I realise there's not many using ZFS in unraid, but in case anyone else comes across this problem, I've "fixed" it with a disgusting user scripts hack.

I have this running in User Scripts every 5 minutes, it will:

• Check if lancache-bundle docker is running
  • If so, it will check the "sendfile" setting in nginx.conf inside the docker
  • If nginx.conf is set to "sendfile on", it will change this to "sendfile off" and then restart lancache-bundle.

lancache-bundle-nginx-fix-for-zfs

#!/bin/bash
if docker ps | grep -q lancache-bundle
then 
    echo "lancache-bundle is running, checking for sendfile setting in nginx.conf"
	docker cp lancache-bundle:/etc/nginx/nginx.conf /tmp/lancache-bundle-nginx.conf
	if grep -Pxq '\tsendfile on;' /tmp/lancache-bundle-nginx.conf
	then
		echo sendfile is on, fixing nginx.conf
		sed -i '/\tsendfile on;/c\\tsendfile off;' /tmp/lancache-bundle-nginx.conf
		echo copying fixed nginx.conf to lancache-bundle docker
		docker cp /tmp/lancache-bundle-nginx.conf lancache-bundle:/etc/nginx/nginx.conf
		echo restarting lancache-bundle docker
		docker restart lancache-bundle
	else
		echo sendfile is off, nothing to do.
	fi
else
    echo "lancache-bundle is not running"
fi

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

So when I point my PC to lancache my internet connection isn't showing a drop but, I'm unable to reach webpages or steam (these were the two things I tested).  I was in my discord server with my buddy who was sharing his screen and I could still see that and talk to him.  But I do not have a connection when pointing the DNS of my pc to lancache.

Any suggestions?

8 hours ago, BSAVAG3 said:

So when I point my PC to lancache my internet connection isn't showing a drop but, I'm unable to reach webpages or steam (these were the two things I tested).  I was in my discord server with my buddy who was sharing his screen and I could still see that and talk to him.  But I do not have a connection when pointing the DNS of my pc to lancache.

Any suggestions?

up stream DNS for lanchache is probably not set to your modem/router ip

its probably not that your internet is out, it that your PC is unable to resolve DNS entries

Edited by Supermillhouse
  • Like 1
10 hours ago, Supermillhouse said:

up stream DNS for lanchache is probably not set to your modem/router ip

its probably not that your internet is out, it that your PC is unable to resolve DNS entries

So I should be setting my upstream DNS to the IP of my router?  Currently I have it set to 1.1.1.1, but I can give that a try when I get home and point lancache to the router.  

1 hour ago, BSAVAG3 said:

So I should be setting my upstream DNS to the IP of my router?  Currently I have it set to 1.1.1.1, but I can give that a try when I get home and point lancache to the router.  

Givie it a try, (1.1.1.1 works for me). I'm no networking expert but the other casue is that the "default gateway" in the docker container is wrong, as far as i know that is just taken from unraid itself, not sure though. To get to 1.1.1.1 you have to go through the default gateway, and if thats wrong it cant get out to the internet, this is my understanding anyway. Anyone correct me if i got this wrong.

Edited by Supermillhouse
  • Like 1
20 hours ago, Supermillhouse said:

Givie it a try, (1.1.1.1 works for me). I'm no networking expert but the other casue is that the "default gateway" in the docker container is wrong, as far as i know that is just taken from unraid itself, not sure though. To get to 1.1.1.1 you have to go through the default gateway, and if thats wrong it cant get out to the internet, this is my understanding anyway. Anyone correct me if i got this wrong.

So after trying that I'm still not getting an internet connection.  I am able to ping 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8 but when trying to actually get to the site it never loads.  Same with Steam, it's not detecting a network connection.

Edit:  Now i'm getting a network connection but, it is not caching.  In the lancache folder I am seeing the confighash file.  But the cache folder has nothing in it.  I've downloaded doom a couple of times and it's not catching it. 

Edit #2:  So it appears the network connection I was getting was because my adapter got reset and removed the lancache dns.  So still not getting a network connection when I set the lancache docker as my DNS server. 

Edited by BSAVAG3
updating

Anyone has noticed significant slow downs using lancache lately? Everytime I reboot the container the download speed just up again but it would eventually drop down again to around 1/10 of my download speed. Everything network wise is working fine I can pull files of my server with 100MB/s+ without a problem it is just lancache downloads that are slow. Tested both in Steam and battle.net downloads I can find nothing in the logs

On 1/24/2021 at 10:02 PM, ConnectivIT said:

I'm guessing this would require changes to the upstream docker images and probably isn't going to happen.  I realise there's not many using ZFS in unraid, but in case anyone else comes across this problem, I've "fixed" it with a disgusting user scripts hack.

I have this running in User Scripts every 5 minutes, it will:

• Check if lancache-bundle docker is running
  • If so, it will check the "sendfile" setting in nginx.conf inside the docker
  • If nginx.conf is set to "sendfile on", it will change this to "sendfile off" and then restart lancache-bundle.

lancache-bundle-nginx-fix-for-zfs

#!/bin/bash
if docker ps | grep -q lancache-bundle
then 
    echo "lancache-bundle is running, checking for sendfile setting in nginx.conf"
	docker cp lancache-bundle:/etc/nginx/nginx.conf /tmp/lancache-bundle-nginx.conf
	if grep -Pxq '\tsendfile on;' /tmp/lancache-bundle-nginx.conf
	then
		echo sendfile is on, fixing nginx.conf
		sed -i '/\tsendfile on;/c\\tsendfile off;' /tmp/lancache-bundle-nginx.conf
		echo copying fixed nginx.conf to lancache-bundle docker
		docker cp /tmp/lancache-bundle-nginx.conf lancache-bundle:/etc/nginx/nginx.conf
		echo restarting lancache-bundle docker
		docker restart lancache-bundle
	else
		echo sendfile is off, nothing to do.
	fi
else
    echo "lancache-bundle is not running"
fi

@ConnectivIT @Josh.5

Hey, so can't we just mount the /etc/ folder into local server e.g. /mnt/SSDPool1/docker/lancache/etc?  I assume it's resetting the sendfile setting because the container get's updated or something?

I haven't tested if this impacts me or not, but I believe it will be since I have the same kind of setup.  And while looking into it, I noted there is not persistent store for lancache configuration, only logs and data.

Thanks.

Edited by Marshalleq

I've just run this script, and now everything is crawling slow.  I guess because lancache probably wasn't working before, or because to function efficiently it really needs sendfile.  I'm going to have to disable it if I can't fix it.  I remember this slow speed happened a long time ago so perhaps it hasn't been working since then at all and it's just how it is.

As a guide, I'm on Gigabit fibre and my initial download starts off fast e.g. 60 MB/s then get's down to kb/s and in fact steam is telling me at one point it will be completed in 'years' lol.

It bounces up again, but not more than about 2MB/s.  Also noticing problems with my MS teams client for some reason, not sure if it's related but it's a mighty coincidence.

1690759340_ScreenShot2021-02-21at11_08_50AM.thumb.png.752580de1c094b372f503ee53f950226.png

Edited by Marshalleq
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/21/2021 at 8:37 AM, Marshalleq said:

60 MB/s then get's down to kb/s and in fact steam is telling me at one point it will be completed in 'years' lol.

It bounces up again, but not more than about 2MB/s.  

I'd strongly recommend slice size of 8MB configured in lancache-bundle

image.thumb.png.7e3f861fd6bae86c18370fb359110f04.png

and ZFS recordsize of 1MB

zfs set recordsize=1M tank/lancache-dataset

ZFS recordsize only applies to new files, and I'm not sure exactly what happens to existing lancache cached files when you change the slice size.  Probably best to nuke and start again.

image.png.097f55898bdb6594caf96c400fc4ea1c.png

I just had to reinstall all my dockers and unfortunately I'm unable to install now:

Command:
root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name='lancache-bundle' --net='bridge' -e TZ="Australia/Adelaide" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -e 'LANCACHE_IP'='192.168.0.252' -e 'DNS_BIND_IP'='192.168.0.252' -e 'CACHE_MEM_SIZE'='500m' -e 'CACHE_DISK_SIZE'='2000g' -e 'CACHE_MAX_AGE'='7300d' -e 'UPSTREAM_DNS'='1.1.1.1' -e 'USE_GENERIC_CACHE'='true' -e 'DISABLE_ARENANET'='' -e 'DISABLE_BLIZZARD'='' -e 'DISABLE_CITYOFHEROES'='' -e 'DISABLE_DAYBREAK'='' -e 'DISABLE_EPICGAMES'='' -e 'DISABLE_FRONTIER'='' -e 'DISABLE_HIREZ'='' -e 'DISABLE_NEVERWINTER'='' -e 'DISABLE_NEXUSMODS'='' -e 'DISABLE_NINTENDO'='' -e 'DISABLE_ORIGIN'='' -e 'DISABLE_RENEGADEX'='' -e 'DISABLE_RIOT'='' -e 'DISABLE_ROCKSTAR'='' -e 'DISABLE_SONY'='' -e 'DISABLE_STEAM'='' -e 'DISABLE_TESO'='' -e 'DISABLE_TWITCH'='' -e 'DISABLE_UPLAY'='' -e 'DISABLE_WARFRAME'='' -e 'DISABLE_WARGAMING'='' -e 'DISABLE_WSUS'='' -e 'DISABLE_XBOXLIVE'='' -p '53:53/udp' -p '80:80/tcp' -p '443:443/tcp' -v '/mnt/poolname/lancache':'/data/cache':'rw' -v '/mnt/poolname/appdata/lancache-bundle/log/named':'/var/log/named':'rw' -v '/mnt/poolname/appdata/lancache-bundle/log/nginx':'/var/log/nginx':'rw' 'josh5/lancache-bundle:latest'
docker: Error response from daemon: failed to copy files: copy file range failed: invalid argument.
See 'docker run --help'.

The command failed.

I did just switch to unRAID docker service using "directory" instead of "docker.img", not sure if that's related, but this is the only docker I've been able to reinstall.

edit: Never mind, it's another ZFS issue - back to XFS docker image.

Edited by ConnectivIT
On 2/24/2021 at 6:04 PM, Michel Amberg said:

I think I need to remove my lancache server from now on. It just does not work and there are mutiple reporting the same

I'm also experiencing some problems... Including being unable to login to game stores.

==> /mnt/user/appdata/lancache-bundle/log/nginx/access.log <==
[wsus] 192.168.1.148 / - - - [10/Mar/2021:17:43:30 +0100] "GET /msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/authrootstl.cab?7768c4ebe73d95a2 HTTP/1.1" 502 182 "-" "Microsoft-CryptoAPI/10.0" "-" "ctldl.windowsupdate.com" "-"

==> /mnt/user/appdata/lancache-bundle/log/nginx/error.log <==
2021/03/10 17:43:30 [error] 2550#2550: *483 ctldl.windowsupdate.com could not be resolved (110: Operation timed out), client: 192.168.1.148, server: , request: "GET /msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/authrootstl.cab?7768c4ebe73d95a2 HTTP/1.1", host: "ctldl.windowsupdate.com"

Although if other people still got it working, I might think it is my setup... 

• 3 weeks later...

I installed it and it worked without a problem.

My DNS config ist LanCache DNS --> pfSense DNS --> public DNS.

I also did some testing regarding download speeds and my results are - let's say - interesting.

It seems it depends on the game, how fast it will downloaded via the cache. I have a 500/50mbit internet connection and a 1Gbit LAN.

Here are some examples:

Need for Speed - Most Wanted (EA/Origin)

--> initial download --> ~500Mbit/s

--> internet online --> ~500Mbit/s

--> cache --> ~1000Mbit/s 

Star Wars Battlefront 2 (EA/Origin)

--> initial download --> ~300Mbit/s

--> cache --> ~300Mbit/s

Day of the Tentacle Remastered (Steam)

--> initial download --> ~500Mbit/s

--> cache --> ~900Mbit/s

Anno 2205 (Steam)

--> initial download --> ~300Mbit/s

--> cache --> ~300Mbit/s

I just have 4 test results, but the pattern I see here is that "Need for Speed" and "Day of the Tentacle" are fairly small games (~3GB) and the other two are rather big (Anno ~16GB and SWBF2 ~90GB). My assumption is the files are cached temporarily in the RAM and therefor you don't have the disadvantage of the slow HDDs. When you check the lancache folder there are thousands of small files --> low performance with HDD and high performance with RAM cache.

Can someone confirm this that small games benefit from the Lancache and big ones not really?

Edited by riddler0815
  • 2 weeks later...

i installed this on a Linux VM since unraid has a crashing issue when a docker has a custom ip but im running into a error now

lancache@lancache-Standard-PC-Q35-ICH9-2009:~/lancache$ sudo docker-compose up -d
Creating network "lancache_default" with the default driver
Creating lancache_sniproxy_1 ...
Creating lancache_monolithic_1 ...
Creating lancache_sniproxy_1   ... done

Creating lancache_dns_1        ... done

ERROR: for monolithic  a bytes-like object is required, not 'str'
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/docker/api/client.py", line 261, in _raise_for_status
    response.raise_for_status()
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/requests/models.py", line 940, in raise_for_status
    raise HTTPError(http_error_msg, response=self)
requests.exceptions.HTTPError: 500 Server Error: Internal Server Error for url: http+docker://localhost/v1.22/containers/ce8e0e80e94586aca94609a32cd27086ad2cc4826b7a8f886c91b54c10ccfdb4/start

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/compose/service.py", line 625, in start_container
    container.start()
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/compose/container.py", line 241, in start
    return self.client.start(self.id, **options)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/docker/utils/decorators.py", line 19, in wrapped
    return f(self, resource_id, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/docker/api/container.py", line 1095, in start
    self._raise_for_status(res)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/docker/api/client.py", line 263, in _raise_for_status
    raise create_api_error_from_http_exception(e)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/docker/errors.py", line 31, in create_api_error_from_http_exception
    raise cls(e, response=response, explanation=explanation)
docker.errors.APIError: 500 Server Error: Internal Server Error ("b'driver failed programming external connectivity on endpoint lancache_monolithic_1 (4d83d6d16257591abd90a4d49cb97c2c7ead140900a180a7c5dabd3e08754a33): Bind for 0.0.0.0:443 failed: port is already allocated'")

File "/usr/bin/docker-compose", line 11, in <module>
    load_entry_point('docker-compose==1.25.0', 'console_scripts', 'docker-compose')()
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/compose/cli/main.py", line 72, in main
    command()
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/compose/cli/main.py", line 128, in perform_command
    handler(command, command_options)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/compose/cli/main.py", line 1107, in up
    to_attach = up(False)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/compose/cli/main.py", line 1088, in up
    return self.project.up(
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/compose/project.py", line 565, in up
    results, errors = parallel.parallel_execute(
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/compose/parallel.py", line 112, in parallel_execute
    raise error_to_reraise
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/compose/parallel.py", line 210, in producer
    result = func(obj)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/compose/project.py", line 548, in do
    return service.execute_convergence_plan(
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/compose/service.py", line 545, in execute_convergence_plan
    return self._execute_convergence_create(
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/compose/service.py", line 460, in _execute_convergence_create
    containers, errors = parallel_execute(
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/compose/parallel.py", line 112, in parallel_execute
    raise error_to_reraise
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/compose/parallel.py", line 210, in producer
    result = func(obj)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/compose/service.py", line 465, in <lambda>
    lambda service_name: create_and_start(self, service_name.number),
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/compose/service.py", line 457, in create_and_start
    self.start_container(container)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/compose/service.py", line 627, in start_container
    if "driver failed programming external connectivity" in ex.explanation:
TypeError: a bytes-like object is required, not 'str'
Error in sys.excepthook:
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/apport_python_hook.py", line 153, in apport_excepthook
    with os.fdopen(os.open(pr_filename,
FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/var/crash/_usr_bin_docker-compose.0.crash'

Original exception was:
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/docker/api/client.py", line 261, in _raise_for_status
    response.raise_for_status()
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/requests/models.py", line 940, in raise_for_status
    raise HTTPError(http_error_msg, response=self)
requests.exceptions.HTTPError: 500 Server Error: Internal Server Error for url: http+docker://localhost/v1.22/containers/ce8e0e80e94586aca94609a32cd27086ad2cc4826b7a8f886c91b54c10ccfdb4/start

File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/compose/service.py", line 625, in start_container
    container.start()
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/compose/container.py", line 241, in start
    return self.client.start(self.id, **options)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/docker/utils/decorators.py", line 19, in wrapped
    return f(self, resource_id, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/docker/api/container.py", line 1095, in start
    self._raise_for_status(res)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/docker/api/client.py", line 263, in _raise_for_status
    raise create_api_error_from_http_exception(e)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/docker/errors.py", line 31, in create_api_error_from_http_exception
    raise cls(e, response=response, explanation=explanation)
docker.errors.APIError: 500 Server Error: Internal Server Error ("b'driver failed programming external connectivity on endpoint lancache_monolithic_1 (4d83d6d16257591abd90a4d49cb97c2c7ead140900a180a7c5dabd3e08754a33): Bind for 0.0.0.0:443 failed: port is already allocated'")

File "/usr/bin/docker-compose", line 11, in <module>
    load_entry_point('docker-compose==1.25.0', 'console_scripts', 'docker-compose')()
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/compose/cli/main.py", line 72, in main
    command()
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/compose/cli/main.py", line 128, in perform_command
    handler(command, command_options)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/compose/cli/main.py", line 1107, in up
    to_attach = up(False)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/compose/cli/main.py", line 1088, in up
    return self.project.up(
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/compose/project.py", line 565, in up
    results, errors = parallel.parallel_execute(
    raise error_to_reraise
    result = func(obj)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/compose/project.py", line 548, in do
    return service.execute_convergence_plan(
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/compose/service.py", line 545, in execute_convergence_plan
    return self._execute_convergence_create(
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/compose/service.py", line 460, in _execute_convergence_create
    containers, errors = parallel_execute(
    raise error_to_reraise
    result = func(obj)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/compose/service.py", line 465, in <lambda>
    lambda service_name: create_and_start(self, service_name.number),
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/compose/service.py", line 457, in create_and_start
    self.start_container(container)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/compose/service.py", line 627, in start_container
    if "driver failed programming external connectivity" in ex.explanation:
TypeError: a bytes-like object is required, not 'str'

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

I am using this docker since yesterday and with Steam everything works as expected, however with Rockstar there seems to be no caching, there are no streams to the container and no disk activity. The download in the Rockstar launcher is working.

Edit:

Origin is working.

Ubisoft also seems to work.

Epic Games also works.

Do you guys have any idea what to do or what to check?

Edited by SignorRossi
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/25/2020 at 8:08 PM, jzawacki said:

Not sure how that is the case, I had it working fine with PiHole, just couldn't tell if it was actually caching properly or not.  Here is how I have mine setup:

1) DHCP hands out DNS IP1 as PiHole IP and DNS IP2 as a dead IP.  You have to do this because Windows will randomly ask DNS.  It's not a "primary" and "secondary" IP, it's whatever Windows wants to use.

2) PiHole upsteam DNS is lancache-bundle server IP

3) lancache-bundle upstream DNS server is OpenDNS server IP

This provides ad blocking (as well as blacklists), caching, and whatever filter settings you  have on OpenDNS.

Just make sure that when you are troubleshooting/making changes to DNS servers that you do an ipconfig /flushdns on the computer you are troubleshooting with, as Windows with cache DNS IPs and you won't be actually asking the DNS server.  Another method to verify is to talk directly to the DNS servers.

From a cmd prompt, type in "nslookup", it will connect to your default DNS server.  If you want to change server, type "server" and then IP, such as "server 8.8.8.8", this will ask that DNS server for the next lookup.

Edit: Example-

C:\Users\jzawacki>nslookup
Default Server:  UnKnown
Address:  10.10.10.12

> server 10.10.10.14
Default Server:  [10.10.10.14]
Address:  10.10.10.14

> steamcache.cs.steampowered.com
Server:  [10.10.10.14]

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    steam.cache.lancache.net
Aliases:  steamcache.cs.steampowered.com

Hey,

i have set it up like this ( Point 3 i have the upstream to 8.8.8.8/1.1.1.1 both do not work) but if i ping steamcache.cs.steampowered.com for example i get an error (not reachable).

Every url works exept the url´s which should be cached. So I can browse as usual with pi hole blocking all ads but i cant download a game.

Strangly at some point after 10-20 min steam starts downloading but does not use lancache. Bevor that time it says server not reachable. Even the download pictures do not show.

I tried disabling pi hole but the issue persists.

If I edit the DNS Server inside windows to the lancache it works but then i do not have the adblock. So for my understanding is there a problem between the communication from pi hole to lan cache.
Does someone know how to fix this?