Allow Paused Parity Check to carry over after reboot

The current pause/resume capability is a new feature of the 6.7 release but it does have the restriction that current position is lost on a reboot. I believe that pause/resume surviving a reboot is a roadmap item for a future Unraid release, but no idea on the ETA.

I would assume that once implemented it may well also apply to disk rebuilds and disk clears as well since they can also be paused/resumed in the 6.7 release but we will have to wait and see what (if anything) materializes.

• 3 weeks later...

The following was posted in the 6.7 release post:

"Parity sync/Data rebuild/Check pause/resume capability.  Main fu nctionality in place.  Pause/resume not preserved across system restarts yet however."

No idea what that means for the ETA of this being done.

Edited by Conmyster
1 hour ago, Conmyster said:

No idea what that means for the ETA of this being done.

I think this means it could be any time (or even never) depending on how difficult it turns out to be to get this to work safely.   Having said that I suspect that this does not impact many people as most seem to leave their Unraid servers on 24x7.    The ones who I could see really wanting this is those who would like to power off their servers over-night which means that if the parity check takes more than about 16 hours they could not do so without aborting the check with the current restriction.

Edited by itimpi
27 minutes ago, itimpi said:

I think this means it could be any time (or even never) depending on how difficult it turns out to be to get this to work safely.   Having said that I suspect that this does not impact many people as most seem to leave their Unraid servers on 24x7.    The ones who I could see really wanting this is those who would like to power off their servers over-night which means that if the parity check takes more than about 16 hours they could not do so without aborting the check with the current restriction.

I leave my server on 24/7 but I'd still like this feature.  Sometimes I need to reboot my server while in the middle of a parity check and I have to cancel the parity check.

• 8 months later...

This would be a very good feature. I normally shut down my array when I don't need it, especially to safe power. To be able to shutdown and (in best case automatically) continue the parity check on the next boot until it is finished would be best. Also it would be best to be able to automatically start parity checks that were scheduled but not started due to being shut down.

So Unraid just should be able to check if a scheduled check has to be run, or if a current session is still unfinished, after it is started. When the run is finished, next parity check should be started after schedule was reached, either directly when it is online or when it is booted next time and did not start before, and of course continue until it is finished after every reboot. Only exception: Manual intervention. Manual stop should stop of course, until next scheduled check.

That would be the perfect solution. Would not bother the people running it 24/7 but would be most comfortable for everyone else.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Bump.. I assume this hasn't been implemented yet?  I'm rebuilding a data disk and I almost had to reboot the system (I think crash plan was bringing my system to a halt..)  I was able to stop crash plan and the system started responding again..  But I'd love for it to remember where is was during a disk rebuild/parity check/Parity build...

Jim

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...