Witch version of Plex to Install (paid veraion-beta)

Hello.... Hope I am not duplicate question but here goes, I had to restart unraid after my old server quit. So I in stalled PLEX ( plexinc/pms-docker ) . Not that this is a BAD version it runs verry good but I would like to update to the BETA Version of Plex. 

First does anyone know witch version-docker should i try

2nd What would be the best way to keep all the data that i have now  with out having to rescan every thing

thanks i was going to ask on plex's site as they would know nothing about un-raid

thanks Again John G.

10 hours ago, John Graham said:

( plexinc/pms-docker )

10 hours ago, John Graham said:

thanks i was going to ask on plex's site as they would know nothing about un-raid

They themselves made the template for unRaid, and should have a basic clue about how it works.  But, you can always ask and they would tell you what environment variable, etc that you need to set in order to pull the version you want.

On 5/10/2019 at 9:03 PM, John Graham said:

will back from PLEX with out any help ... looks like i will to keep trying

Maybe look at the support threads on here for the versions by binhex, linuxserver, or limetech and see if you can accomplish what you want using their versions. Each group has a slightly different take on the packaging and support of the same app, and as you saw, plex itself isn't very helpful, even when dealing with their own docker.

• 2 weeks later...

That's using the Plex docker created and controlled by plex, I notice that you have not got a claimed plex code or is that just for the screenshots? I ask as I didn't think it would update to the plex pass version without that and it was a so and so to get it in there in the first place.

Edited by MMW

Correct, I am using Plex's docker as it updates with just a reboot as soon as new versions are pushed, no having to wait for Dev to update their template. And to be honest, I was running on the plexpass version without having the claim code for weeks now, no issues. However, now that you pointed it out, I added it in 🙂 not an issue for me at least since I have had a lifetime Plex pass for years now. Maybe that's why I had no issues since my account is already linked with a lifetime pass. Either way, give it a shot.

You mentioned it was "so so" to get the Plex version installed? I found it extremely easy using Squid's Community Applications plugin.

Edited by cybrnook
On 5/29/2019 at 1:24 PM, cybrnook said:

Very easy, just add :plexpass behind your repo. When a new beta is released, all you need to do is restart your docker.

image.thumb.png.da6e91c15251612719775f4ce3961568.png

image.png.b5ec2e7311d9fec85ae60af86f1d0120.png

This is on my last reboot of the docker I did:

image.png.c24ddb42d7832bb40a40c9b0cd66c831.png

super ... i was a way from the system for sometime now and just got back ... added the PlexPass ( i also have had plexpass for years) and it updated with out a problem .. thanks so much .. i though it was something i forget to add

I see that you could see all this in A LOG file .. where and how did you get this ?? i would like to look at what my setup says. and i see another question .. ( sorry ) another question what is "udev" 

thanks again John

It's the docker log itself. You can get to this on the dockers tab in unraid, the status button furthest to the right. Will say a summary, something like last exitcode 0, or something (if you are in advanced mode). If in regular mode, it says "log". Click on that.

Edited by cybrnook
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/13/2019 at 4:41 PM, jonathanm said:

Maybe look at the support threads on here for the versions by binhex, linuxserver, or limetech and see if you can accomplish what you want using their versions. Each group has a slightly different take on the packaging and support of the same app, and as you saw, plex itself isn't very helpful, even when dealing with their own docker.

I've been running a Plex media server off of my Nvidia Shield TV with okay results. One gets tired of being a "flagship" device yet to be treated like a red headed stepchild when it comes to server updates and software tech support.

I've been kicking around the idea of utilizing a Plex docker, but there are so many options to choose it's easy to find yourself in paralysis.

• Binhex has a lot of great dockers that I am using already ( @binhex I'll have to buy you a beer/coffee/tea/wine/boba somtime when I'm not broke as a joke to say thanks), so it would make sense from a space & resource standpoint to use his/her docker.
  • Plex official sounds great in theory as one wouldn't have to depend on independent maintainers, but like @jonathanm was saying — Plex isn't known for their world class support.
  • linuxserver has a large following and it seems like they are very active in the maintenance of the docker, but you don't get to share some of the image layers that you would with Binhex's docker container. Their container is smaller than that of Binhex's though and their template is pretty straightforward especially if you want Nvidia GPU support within Unraid.
2 hours ago, Zer0Nin3r said:

I've been kicking around the idea of utilizing a Plex docker, but there are so many options to choose.

If I were you, based on what you have said, I'd go with Binhex.  I personally use the LSIO version for the same reason you stated for possibly going with Binhex; I have several other LSIO docker containers.  I also run a couple of Binhex containers.  You can't go wrong with either one.

If Nvidia GPU support is important to you, perhaps the LSIO container would make that a bit easier but the LSIO unRAID Nvidia plugin does not require that you use their Plex container as seen in this blurb from the support page:

"This plugin from LinuxServer.io allows you to easily install a modified Unraid version with Nvidia drivers compiled and the docker system modified to use an nvidia container runtime, meaning you can use your GPU in any container you wish."

• Like 1

hello ... John G. i has some of the same question and some problems here. But with the help here i switched to "plexinc/pms-docker" and adding "plexpass behind your repo" and it will work super for me with out any problems just restart the plex server and the update will be installed ... super setup

just my $0.02

John G,