Major hardware upgrade - all new except data disks - Process ?

I am planning on a major upgrade - everything except the disks - moving from Intel to Ryzen.  Latest version unraid sw.

I will use an old data drive and a temp unraid usb key/license for the initial new server setup (burn in) of the hardware. 

Once it has burnt in and all hardware is working with unraid, I will be ready for the 'move' to this new hardware from the old existing system.

(Note, I have many backups in case of issues)

But - when it comes to the 'moving' of my unraid config from the current system to the new system, it cant be as simple as connecting all the the drives and moving the USB key to the new hardware, then boot up ? 

or is it that simple ?

Is there anything ryzen specific that needs setting up or is 6.6.7 fully supporting Ryzen's ?

Edited by vw-kombi
  • 1 month later...

Just reporting back that this all went fine.  Here is my process in case it helps anyone :

1 - scn shot the current disk layout for array, cache and unassigned disks, Backups.

2 - Set array to NOT autostart, Set dockers and VMJ's to all not autostart

3 - in my case, had to disable the imodprobe gpu passthrough as going from intel to Ryzen

4 - shutdow array and machine

5 - install USK and disks to new server, which has monitor/keyboard and mouse (im usually headless) - Reason below

6 - Took time to label all disks as my eyes not so good reading those serial numbers

7 - booted to array controller - checked all disks attached

8 - booted to bios - checked disks on sata all showing

9 - Booted unraid, checked disks all showing, changed temp and fan to new mobo version in plugins

10 - Checked network up and running

11 - started array, did a few spot checks - all good, no parity build needed.

12 - started each vm one by one and let it update for the new hardware

13 - started dockers one by one to check all ok.

14 - reset VM'[s and dockers to autostart where they needed to, plus array to autostart

Job Done.

• Like 1