Unraid OS version 6.7 available

4 hours ago, bonienl said:

Yeah this is correct. At the end make sure the folder "appdata" does not exist anymore on disk1 (and the other disks where it is present)

Repeat the same for the system folder.

Both these folders (shares) need to have the setting "Use cache disk = ONLY"

Ah...now this is making sense.   Thanks so much for the help...my plex transfer is taking forever as expected.   I now see how this works.  Just wondering... I know someone said that the "mover" was built to basically do this but what I was talking about is a built-in file browser where its basically impossible to mess up unraid.   Maybe a future version of unraid can do this?   I'm not the smartest person and i find myself boogering up my server soooo often.  I absolutely love unraid and wouldn't use any other tool.  

1 minute ago, MrSage said:

Ah...now this is making sense.   Thanks so much for the help...my plex transfer is taking forever as expected.   I now see how this works.  Just wondering... I know someone said that the "mover" was built to basically do this but what I was talking about is a built-in file browser where its basically impossible to mess up unraid.   Maybe a future version of unraid can do this?   I'm not the smartest person and i find myself boogering up my server soooo often.  I absolutely love unraid and wouldn't use any other tool.  

Actually a full blown file browser would almost certainly make It EASIER to mess up Unraid :(

2 minutes ago, eybox said:

First of all, please allow me to show my gratitude for the amazing work you and the people at limetech have done for all of us. As well as for you helping me right now. Cheers 🍺

Back to your question:

- The router still didn't see the server as an active device on the network

- Still couldn't ping the outside world from Tower.

I do believe it's an in-OS change which triggered the network-related issues, at least that's what I deduced based on my troubleshooting. But I'm just not advanced enough to tackle these on my own 😢

Thanks for the "cheers" - I think I'm going to go fetch a cold one right now myself...

If you don't mind, please post diagnostics.zip of your server in state with no plugins, no docker, no kvm.  The logs are greatly simplified this way.

3 minutes ago, limetech said:

Thanks for the "cheers" - I think I'm going to go fetch a cold one right now myself...

If you don't mind, please post diagnostics.zip of your server in state with no plugins, no docker, no kvm.  The logs are greatly simplified this way.

Alas I already reverted back to 6.6.6 as I described in the original post. But this offers us an unique opportunity.

Would you like me to do both of these:

1. Boot into SafeMode on 6.6.6, and get diagnostics zip

2. Upgrade again to 6.7.0. Then boot into SafeMode and get its diagnostics zip.

This way you would be able to compare them both for differences?

Edited by eybox
Clarification
3 hours ago, johnsanc said:

Upgrade seems to have gone OK, however there is something wrong with the VMS tab. My auto-start VMs start up just fine, no errors in the system log or libvirt log as far as I can tell. The VMs tab just shows the loading animation and never actually loads.

In the browser console log I do see this:

"Uncaught SyntaxError: Invalid or unexpected token"

I also see that the request for /sub/var is pending with a 101 status code.

Any ideas?

I don't mean to double post - but didn't want this to get buried on the other page and lost amongst the string of troubleshooting posts above - If there is a better place to post this let me know. Since the VMs actually work fine I fear it may be a defect in the VM Manager web code.

Having an unusable interface to manage VMs is a deal breaker and I may need to downgrade.

On 5/10/2019 at 5:30 PM, limetech said:

git: version 2.21.0

hmm... git doesn't seem to be installed in 6.7.0?

root@Tower:~# git
-bash: git: command not found

root@Tower:~# whereis git
git:

root@Tower:/var/log/packages# ls git*
/bin/ls: cannot access 'git*': No such file or directory

my postgress-11 docker database seems to be empty now... what the heck...

Also, not a big fan of removing colors from icons. Do you know why we originally used colors when going from black and white monitors to color screens?

To make things discernible at a glance. Colors are processed MUCH faster then shapes.

12 minutes ago, rpj2 said:

The card worked fine in 6.6.7. The card still works fine. Throwing the card out is extremely wasteful and a silly suggestion.

And your point is?   The Marvell controller has been giving problems to folks who are running Unraid setup for the past several years.  The root cause has never really been determined but it has been rumored to be a hardware issue in the chip design, problems in the Marvell firmware or a interaction between the Linux kernel and its drivers and the chip set.  As I understand it, no one--- not Marvell, not the Linux folks, not Unraid developers--- is devoting any time to solving the problem.

If it is currently working in one or more of the Unraid versions for you, keep on using it if that is your choice but realize that in all probability, you will eventually have a issue with it...

Edited by Frank1940

Upgraded from 6.6.7 to 6.7 no probs. A big thank you. I was having issues with my unRAID these past 2 months (under another post) and wanted to turn on Fixed Common Problems' Troubleshooting mode. After the upgrade, this new message appeared: LOOKING FOR TROUBLESHOOTING MODE? On unRaid 6.7+ it has been removed, and you should instead configure the built-in syslog server to save to the flash drive via Settings - Syslog Server. 

image.thumb.png.f0400664ce7f025a278f760a2547edc7.png

I have set this up as shown. I can't see any logs appearing in the the 'local syslog folder'. I don't have a 'Remote syslog server'. Can you please confirm my settings? Your advice is, as usual, much appreciated. Regards. cL

1 hour ago, rpj2 said:

The card worked fine in 6.6.7. The card still works fine. Throwing the card out is extremely wasteful and a silly suggestion.

Your choice on continuing to use a ticking time-bomb. Live as dangerously as you want. 

Upgraded my server from 6.6.7 to 6.7 and everything went smoothly.

I love the new dashboard, although I would like the ability to add your own server case, as the specific one I have is not on there. (I have a 3U case with the drives sideways)

Other than this though everything is working as expected.

1 hour ago, Frank1940 said:

And your point is?   The Marvell controller has been giving problems to folks who are running Unraid setup for the past several years.  The root cause has never really been determined but it has been rumored to be a hardware issue in the chip design, problems in the Marvell firmware or a interaction between the Linux kernel and its drivers and the chip set.  As I understand it, no one--- not Marvell, not the Linux folks, not Unraid developers--- is devoting any time to solving the problem.

If it is currently working in one or more of the Unraid versions for you, keep on using it if that is your choice but realize that in all probability, you will eventually have a issue with it...

11 minutes ago, BRiT said:

Your choice on continuing to use a ticking time-bomb. Live as dangerously as you want. 

A software update broke a previously working system is my point. I rolled back and will try a future update. Throwing out working hardware is wasteful. A software update could break another card also. Blame the user? 🤷‍♂️

11 hours ago, bonienl said:

Yeah this is correct. At the end make sure the folder "appdata" does not exist anymore on disk1 (and the other disks where it is present)

Repeat the same for the system folder.

Both these folders (shares) need to have the setting "Use cache disk = ONLY"tower-diagnostics-20190512-0515.ziptower-diagnostics-20190512-0515.zip

So I've moved all of the appdata and system files to the cache via MC and im still not getting my apps nor vms running.

A software update broke a previously working system is my point. I rolled back and will try a future update. Throwing out working hardware is wasteful. A software update could break another card also. Blame the user? 

Maybe I can offer a different perspective. First let’s go to the “1,000 foot bird eye view” and ask the question what are we trying to accomplish? Likely the answer is to protect data. The next question is what are you willing to do to protect said data? Well, we built a dedicated computer to store our important files. So we are going above and beyond what most “common” folks do to store files. When you start adding up the money spent on the computer hardware plus the actual storage drives, there is some serious money invested.

I think if you look at it in that regard, and ask the question is my data worth an extra $100 dollars for a piece of hardware that is known to work great and let’s me stay on up to date software that comes with the latest security patches or is it worth it to use a piece of hardware with known issues that will likely not get better... well I know what my decision would be.

Anyways just something to think about.
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
6 hours ago, eybox said:

Looks like in 6.7 the default route is being set incorrectly to br1 instead of br0.  Are you using br1 for anything?  It looks like eth1, the link for br1, is disconnected anyways...

• Like 1

I updated Unraid OS from 6.6.7 to 6.7 and after the reboot I can no longer ping my tower's IP address...  I've been meaning to buy a cheap LCD screen to attach to it for diagnosing issues like these, any recommendations?

Unraid isn't showing up on my router's DHCP leases, not sure where else to troubleshoot.

• jonp unpinned this topic