Unraid OS version 6.7 available

9 hours ago, buxton said:

Correct, I had no clue about my sig or how out of date it was, thanks to the new forum software. The version is updated now though. I do have 8G of memory in the box, but with 2 debian VM's and 120+ days of uptime, I figured that the memory usage would end up getting high. If that doesn't make sense, what should I check into to find the cause? Thanks.

8GB is too little for the Server and 2 VMs.

Update your RAM to at least 16GB - i dont use VMs (only Plex is running) and with 8GB, i had some troubles when people accessed the server...

Edited by Zonediver
10 hours ago, buxton said:

Correct, I had no clue about my sig or how out of date it was, thanks to the new forum software. The version is updated now though. I do have 8G of memory in the box, but with 2 debian VM's and 120+ days of uptime, I figured that the memory usage would end up getting high. If that doesn't make sense, what should I check into to find the cause? Thanks.

Once you start a VM then its memory allocation is locked and not available for other purposes.   Do not forget when working out the RAM requirements of a VM as well as the RAM you specify in the VM settings you also have to allow for the RAM that KVM is using to manage the emulation.  Something like 0.5 GB might be a good amount to budget to be used for handling this emulation.

After reading all of these terrifying posts about how Promise controllers are deprecated, I decided to try to upgrade anyway. It was completely uneventful, and the 16 promise-based drives I have in the array are none the wiser.

Thanks for continuing to push this great software.

On 5/13/2019 at 7:56 PM, rpj2 said:

I've temporarily disabled VT-d until I get a new card. I had a couple of issues on the 6.7 upgrade.

1. The Global Share Settings icon is missing. Or, does it simply not have an icon?

2. I had no Internet access. I had to add a default route.

Had the same issue with the route.  Worked when I added it manually but after starting array it would clear it out.  Ended up just setting it to dhcp with a reservation and it worked through the reboots.

• Upvote 1

This (6.7) is the first unRAID version that I've had major issues...

When I try to boot, everything seems to be going fine, until it tries to mount the UNRAID labelled USB to /boot... I get the following:

waiting for /dev/disk/by-label/UNRAID (will check for 30 sec)...

and then of course it fails, so /boot isn't mounted, therefore no modules etc are available and network doesn't work.

For now, I've had to revert back to 6.6.7

43 minutes ago, wishie said:

When I try to boot, everything seems to be going fine, until it tries to mount the UNRAID labelled USB to /boot... I get the following:

and then of course it fails, so /boot isn't mounted, therefore no modules etc are available and network doesn't work.

There is no way that error should be directly a factor of the 6.7 release.    There will be some other factor at work.     That error suggests that the USB stick is not being properly picked up during the boot process.

It's been suggested that it might be the USB, but that doesnt explain why it boots fine with every other version of unRAID ive used, and even reverting back to 6.6.7 works perfectly.

I suspect its something to do with the USB drivers or something related in 6.7

3 hours ago, wishie said:

I seem to recall that some of the other boot problems with 6.7.0 have been fixed by using Limetech USB Flash utility to install the software on the Flash drive and that fixed this problem.  BUT before you do this, make a backup of the current flash drive (You can do this clicking on the 'Flash' under the Boot Device on the Main tab and then clicking on the 'Flash backup' button) so that you have a copy of the config directory/folder which you can then copy over the default  config directory after the utility does its thing.  

The utility can be found here:      https://unraid.net/download

52 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

I seem to recall that some of the other boot problems with 6.7.0 have been fixed by using Limetech USB Flash utility to install the software on the Flash drive and that fixed this problem.  BUT before you do this, make a backup of the current flash drive (You can do this clicking on the 'Flash' under the Boot Device on the Main tab and then clicking on the 'Flash backup' button) so that you have a copy of the config directory/folder which you can then copy over the default  config directory after the utility does its thing.  

The utility can be found here:      https://unraid.net/download

I wished it recognized my card reader. I had this very problem yesterday. I ended up having to use a fresh SD card, and prepare it the old way. 

Edited by StevenD
On 6/19/2019 at 10:41 PM, StevenD said:

I wished it recognized my card reader. I had this very problem yesterday. I ended up having to use a fresh SD card, and prepare it the old way. 

Both of my servers use card readers.  If one of my SD cards in those readers were to have a problem, the first thing I would do to build a brand-new SD card with the current system. (I keep backups of my Boot Disks!!!)  If that worked, I would then deep-six the old card.  (They are too cheap to bother figuring out if they are still good, bad or just flakey!)  Unfortunately, card readers are not longer a current option.  To my knowledge, no manufacturer is making card readers with unique GUID's at this time.  

25 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

Both of my servers use card readers.  If one of my SD cards in those readers were to have a problem, the first thing I would do to build a brand-new SD card with the current system. (I keep backups of my Boot Disks!!!)  If that worked, I would then deep-six the old card.  (They are too cheap to bother figuring out if they are still good, bad or just flakey!)  

Oh...I agree. I have a stack of 32GB SD cards in my drawer.  The one that was installed was less than a year old though.

25 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

Unfortunately, card readers are not longer a current option.  To my knowledge, no manufacturer is making card readers with unique GUID's at this time.  

Not a problem for me!  :)   I happened to run across a lot on eBay very cheap last year, so I bought it.  I had planned on offering some for sale here, but never got around to it.

1Z0tDpjl.jpg

Edited by StevenD

So, a bit of an update.. I re-imaged my USB stick using the UnRAID USB Creator tool thing, and it booted.. so I've then copied my config/ folder over, and I'm successfully on 6.7 now.

What I did notice is, when I was doing the 'update' from 6.6.7 to 6.7, it seems the USB label was 'UnRaid' instead of 'UNRAID'. Perhaps this was the issue? When I made the USB with the creator tool, its 'UNRAID' again.

30 minutes ago, wishie said:

So, a bit of an update.. I re-imaged my USB stick using the UnRAID USB Creator tool thing, and it booted.. so I've then copied my config/ folder over, and I'm successfully on 6.7 now.

What I did notice is, when I was doing the 'update' from 6.6.7 to 6.7, it seems the USB label was 'UnRaid' instead of 'UNRAID'. Perhaps this was the issue? When I made the USB with the creator tool, its 'UNRAID' again.

UNRAID has always been the required volume label. It seems unlikely it would have worked with anything else whatever the version.

22 minutes ago, wishie said:

it seems the USB label was 'UnRaid' instead of 'UNRAID'.

That will give problems.  Linux is case-sensitive while Windows is not.  Linux will happily create two files-- one named Test.txt and the other test.txt --- While Windows will not!  This point should be kept in mind as SMB often does not handle this type of problem very gracefully...  🙄  (Entire folders of files have been known to suddenly 'vanish' from Windows File Explorer!) 

17 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

That will give problems.  Linux is case-sensitive while Windows is not.  Linux will happily create two files-- one named Test.txt and the other test.txt --- While Windows will not!  This point should be kept in mind as SMB often does not handle this type of problem very gracefully...  🙄  (Entire folders of files have been known to suddenly 'vanish' from Windows File Explorer!) 

I understand that.. but I had a working USB, labelled "UNRAID" and then I did the "Update OS" from within the unRAID GUI, so I dont understand why/how it changed the volume label.

There must be some quirk with the update from 6.6.7 to 6.7.

4 hours ago, wishie said:

I understand that.. but I had a working USB, labelled "UNRAID" and then I did the "Update OS" from within the unRAID GUI, so I dont understand why/how it changed the volume label.

There must be some quirk with the update from 6.6.7 to 6.7.

Nobody else has reported this and it seems extremely unlikely the update would have changed the volume label.

8 hours ago, trurl said:

Nobody else has reported this and it seems extremely unlikely the update would have changed the volume label.

Oh well, im pointing out my experience. Ive update unRAID versions for years without issue. I did nothing different this time, and that was the result.

Apparently others have reported they needed to make the USB image again using the unRAID USB Creator, so maybe that was the reason?

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to pop by and say that "Time Machine support via SMB" looks like it's fixed an issue I had. Previously, TM would only work for a couple of weeks before throwing up a verification error, forcing me to create a fresh "initial" backup which, even over ethernet, took multiple hours to backup <500GB of data.

It's currently been a month since my initial backup and touch wood, it's still working ok.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to document, I've been seeing "eth0: failed to renew DHCP, rebinding" messages appear in 6.7+
Looking back it started with 6.7.0-rc8. rc7 and older did not throw the message. Seems to be cosmetic at least.

6.7.0-rc6 == good // dhcpcd: version 7.1.1
6.7.0-rc7 == good // no dhcpcd changes, logs last entry was: May  5 12:32:34
6.7.0-rc8 == bad  // dhcpcd: version 7.2.0

May  6 10:02:35 husky dhcpcd[1603]: eth0: failed to renew DHCP, rebinding

Looking at the source, I dont see anything that stands out:

https://github.com/rsmarples/dhcpcd/compare/dhcpcd-7.1.1...dhcpcd-7.2.0

• jonp unpinned this topic