WOL not working in 6.7

7 minutes ago, Jonathan Vella said:

Could it be a driver issue? Maybe Unraid 6.7 is using a different driver?

Could you try port-down the ethernet port in GUI network section then powerdown by power button, after that verify WOL work or not.

In next reboot, it will up as usual.

Edited by Benson
3 hours ago, Benson said:

Could you try port-down the ethernet port in GUI network section then powerdown by power button, after that verify WOL work or not.

In next reboot, it will up as usual.

Not so sure I understand your ask - I went to Settings -> Network Settings; from where can I try "port-down" ?

can you check the driver info with "ethtool -i eth0", please?

On my rig running unRAID-6.7, that is having the issue, I get:

driver: r8169
version: 
firmware-version: rtl8168f-1_0.0.5 06/18/12
expansion-rom-version: 
bus-info: 0000:04:00.0
supports-statistics: yes
supports-test: no
supports-eeprom-access: no
supports-register-dump: yes
supports-priv-flags: no

...in my other rig, running a mor recent board (chip rev. 15, instead of rev.9) but unRAID v6.5.3, I get:

version: 2.3LK-NAPI
firmware-version: rtl8168h-2_0.0.2 02/26/15
expansion-rom-version:
bus-info: 0000:02:00.0

...so, clearly a different version.

...and  I am totally confused, based on the numbers given, which one is newer or more recent.

Edited by Ford Prefect

I have a MSI Z370-A PRO Motherboard with a Realtek RTL8111H.  After upgrading to 6.7 WOL stopped working.  The "ethtool -s eth0 wol g" command temporarily fixed the issue, would work with sleep wake cycles but rebooting the system brought the WOL problem back.

version: 
expansion-rom-version: 

Edited by carolina9
9 hours ago, carolina9 said:

I have a MSI Z370-A PRO Motherboard with a Realtek RTL8111H.  After upgrading to 6.7 WOL stopped working.  The "ethtool -s eth0 wol g" command temporarily fixed the issue, would work with sleep wake cycles but rebooting the system brought the WOL problem back.

version: 
expansion-rom-version: 

A workaround until the cause and fix are identified would be to run this command via the User Scripts plugin.  That way it would be re-run if the system is ever rebooted.

A workaround until the cause and fix are identified would be to run this command via the User Scripts plugin.  That way it would be re-run if the system is ever rebooted.
Thanks, I'll give it a try during the weekend.
But as a first thought: when checking the interface with "ethertool eth0", the wol parameter is already reported as being set to "g"...same from the sleep-plugin.
So why re-set it again??

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

I tested the Dynamix S3 Sleep plugin with "Set WOL options before sleep" set to "g" this did not fix the issue.  Entering the "ethtool -s eth0 wol g" command into the "Custom commands before sleep" field does allow for WOL to work when the system goes to sleep due to the plugin.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, carolina9 said:

I tested the Dynamix S3 Sleep plugin with "Set WOL options before sleep" set to "g" this did not fix the issue.  Entering the "ethtool -s eth0 wol g" command into the "Custom commands before sleep" field does allow for WOL to work when the system goes to sleep due to the plugin.

I think Ethtool method could be ignore.

In fact Unraid never say support or provide any setting for WOL. May be Unraid just simple not touch anything, if HW be config WOL, then it just keep work until you shutdown, but this time just not.

Hope LT could fix ASAP, WOL problem always happen and happen again in Linux/Windows.

Edited by Benson
43 minutes ago, Benson said:

Hope LT could fix ASAP, WOL

WoL is not officially supported by Unraid. There is just too much hardware dependencies to guarantee correct functioning for each and every system (including the system proceedings after waking up).

It seems only RealTek NICs are affected, hopefully Realtek releases an updated driver for the Linux kernel soon(tm). :) 

21 hours ago, carolina9 said:

...so, it appears that this script/plugin feature is broken now, not the driver-

Thanks for pointing that out...

Edit: ...and it does now work flawlessly again, with the solution to use and configure the S3-Sleep plugin (Dynamix V6) as pointed out by @carolina9. Thanks again for that!

Regards,

Ford

Edited by Ford Prefect
confirm solution that solves the issue for me
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/25/2019 at 8:34 PM, Ford Prefect said:

...so, it appears that this script/plugin feature is broken now, not the driver-

Thanks for pointing that out...

Edit: ...and it does now work flawlessly again, with the solution to use and configure the S3-Sleep plugin (Dynamix V6) as pointed out by @carolina9. Thanks again for that!

Regards,

Ford

Hi.

Does this only work for sleep or also for shutdown?

With 6.6.7 i use shutdown in the  S3-Sleep plugin and WOL works. 

Basically, I am sending the rig to sleep 30mins after all is "silent", meaning all disks spun-down, no network traffic etc...

It`s the large storage, with media and stuff, only used when there is a need, which occurs to 99% at weekends only..

The day-2-day workload is covered my a smaller unRAID, idling at 10W which does not go to sleep as it also powers the main router VM.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/4/2019 at 2:18 AM, OOmatrixOO said:

Hi.

Does this only work for sleep or also for shutdown?

With 6.6.7 i use shutdown in the  S3-Sleep plugin and WOL works. 

For me this solution works for both sleep and shutdown state. Currently I have the following controller from Tp-Link:

01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 06)

Very strangely but maybe just pure coincidence, soon after upgrading to 6.7.2 my Intel pro 1000 CT which was fine for about three years suddenly started dropping out, giving errors like "hardware not found", about 30-60 minutes after system booting. This made me go out and buy the Tp-link with Realtek chipset and of course afterwards I came across the WOL issue... A great combo of annoyance... Of course I will test the Intel NIC again when I find the time.