Granular Agent Notification Filtering Control

I love that UnRaid 6.7 just rolled out with Telegram.  I think the number of agents will increase over time.  Currently I count 8 different agents available.  Many of us use more than one agent outside of UnRaid for various reasons.  Some agents are more flexible than others and get used with enhanced tools such as Tasker or home automation.  This allows tight notification elevation control which may interrupt a movie to alert of a problem for example or break the "do not disturb" setting for an important announcement.  Also, some agents have limits such as Pushbullet which can be easily exceeded in a short time with lots of chatter.

I propose that UnRaid support an additional mechanism to control which agent is subscribed to whichever topic the user selects.  The provided annotated screenshots should explain this well.

FirstTier.png

SecondTier.png

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I would like to +1 this and also, in keeping with the same request, make the types of notifications more granular as well.

What I'm thinking is I'd like for unraid to be able to notify different users of events that may be of interest to them.

For instance, my wife backs up her memory cards to the server after each photo shoot. I currently use Unassigned Devices to automate the backing up process for her. But my server doesn't have a speaker so I can't have it beep for her to know its done. Plus it can take some time to back up the photo's so she isn't always near the server to hear it. So currently I have the email notifications setup and the script sends out a notification, which works.

The issue here, which is more of a minor annoyance, is any email listed in the notifications will receive that email. I would like for only her to receive the email. I think this could also be expanded for other things. Another example could be if the server is recording a tv show, you could setup a post recording script that sends a notification/email to interested parties that something was just recorded.

So two ways I was thinking this could work:

1) Adding custom events with their own recipient lists, the main email notification settings could keep the recipients list that is there which could act as a default if no recipients were added for the custom events. This would require a few changes to how the notify script works, I believe mainly just checking if the event has its own recipients and using that instead of default.

2) Modify the notify script to add a recipients argument that when present overrides the default list. Could also add a flag that lets it ignore the dashboard notifications as well.

Either of these would open up the capability of the built-in notification system to be used by other applications and scripts that users may run.