Disk 4 disabled, contents emulated

Powered down unRAID and checked the connections -- they seemed okay.  Then checked slots in iStar dock where drive is in slot one.  Noticed drive did not pop out easily when latch opened.  Then noticed lever at back of dock slot not in place -- it was completely loose.  So I moved the drive from iStar dock slot 1 to slot 4 and powered up.  Disk 4 is still marked with a red x and disabled.  Unraid notification appeared:

Unraid array errors: 12-05-2019 00:53

Notice [SERVER2018] - array turned good

Array has 0 disks with read errors

Then I ran a SMART short self-test of Disk 4, results attached.

Currently running SMART extended self-test and ordered a new iStar dock -- I didn't realize the back levers were so delicate.

Num Test_Description Status Remaining LifeTime(hours) LBA_of_first_error 
# 1 Short offline Completed without error 00% 30381 -

server2018-smart-20190512-0114.zip

Edited by oh-tomo

SMART extended self-test passed and reconstruction started.  ETA 9 hours 23 minutes.

While the test was running I went to the local computer store looking for a new 10TB drive and none were to be found.   I guess that's a popular size.   They had 14TB but that seemed like overkill since it was bigger than my parity or data drives so I bought a 12TB which I'll add as a second parity when the reconstruction is done.

New HDD in Disk 4 position working fine so far.  Ran an extended test on the old HDD with WD Diagnostics in Windows (connected via USB 3.0 HDD dock) and it passed.   So not sure why it got disabled twice in unRAID array if WD Diagnostics can't find a problem.   I'll wait until new iStar dock arrives and add it as a new disk and see if it fails a third time.

• 2 months later...

So I got a new iStar dock and have now re-added this same HDD yesterday as a new disk and this morning I see a "Array has 1 disk with read errors" warning.

How can the same HDD pass the WD Diagnostics extended test and then get read errors in unRAID, now connected via a brand new dock?

Currently 10% into a SMART extended self-test of HDD.

Well I can't login to the WD site.  I can't rest my password on the WD site.  And the WD site's customer portal apologizes for the inconvenience when my case details won't go through.  And my email to [email protected] bounces back with "this email is not monitored, please use customer portal."

And unRAID now says "Disk 6 in error state (disk dsbl)" 

This is the third time I've tried, the first with a new drive cage.  But I guess the new drive cage ain't helping.

Any other ideas?

Edited by oh-tomo