SMB Apple Time Machine 6.7

• 1 year later...
On 7/30/2019 at 7:20 PM, wgstarks said:

I never had any problem setting mine up. Mount the share on my Mac and select it in TM prefs. Same as when I used AFP.

Hi,

if at SMB Settings "Enable SMB" is set to "Yes (Active Directory)" which means "AD join status" is "Joined", then the setting "Enhanced macOS interoperability" setting "Yes" and the "SMB Security Settings" at "Export" set to "Yes/TimeMachine" doesn't work for using it on Apples Time Machine.

AFP is also extremely instabil in Active Directory Services (ADS) for more (4+) Macs doing Time Machine Backups. If good luck, then it works some weeks. Next is unRAID's note: "Please note that AFP is deprecated, please use SMB instead.". This will prevent from using AFP - but it's OK.

The only way to get SMB based Time Machine backup running in ADS environments with more Mac-Users is to add these lines to "Samba extra configuration:"

# Samba extra configuration/settings

fruit:aapl = yes

fruit:resource = file

fruit:metadata = netatalk

fruit:locking = none

fruit:encoding = native

fruit:nfs_aces = no

#

# Share specific settings

fruit:time machine = yes

fruit:time machine max size = 4T

This must be done, because if "Enable SMB" is set to "Yes (Active Directory)", all "macOS interoperability" settings will be ignored from unRAID OS - so far as I remember from Tom (cause of ADS problems in the past).

With the settings above, we are running SMB based Time Machine backups in an ADS environment long time without any issues.

But there is one problem, because these settings are global, the option "fruit:time machine = yes" and "fruit:time machine max size = 4T" is valid for ALL shares. If Macs are connecting to any share, the share limit is 4TByte for ALL shares. Leaving the option "fruit:time machine max size = 4T" is not an option, because Time Machine is taking ALL available storage. 

So, my wish is that the "macOS interoperability" and TimeMachine based GUI settings won't be ignored if ADS is active (SECURITY="ads" in /boot/config/ident.cfg).

Is there a quick and easy way to make this happen or is there any possibility / timeline / roadmap until when it could be happen?

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Reini said:

So, my wish is that the "macOS interoperability" and TimeMachine based GUI settings won't be ignored if ADS is active (SECURITY="ads" in /boot/config/ident.cfg).

Is there a quick and easy way to make this happen or is there any possibility / timeline / roadmap until when it could be happen?

This should be posted in the Feature Request section of the forum so that it reaches the attention of someone from LT.

• Thanks 1
24 minutes ago, wgstarks said:

This should be posted in the Feature Request section of the forum so that it reaches the attention of someone from LT.

OK, but basically this feature is already implemented and internally disabled if ADS is active. It just needs to re-enable it again.

Anyhow, I posted it at the Feature Request section.

Thanks.

Edited by Reini
On 5/14/2019 at 1:30 AM, limetech said:

Right I didn't have the resources available to test combination of AD with/TimeMachine, so as to not possibly fubar AD further, decided not to add the necessary 'fruit' settings when AD is selected.  You should be able to add these lines to Settings/SMB/Samba extra configuration:

fruit:aapl = yes
fruit:resource = file
fruit:metadata = netatalk
fruit:locking = none
fruit:encoding = native
fruit:nfs_aces = no

And then let me know if this works. 👍

Hi Tom,

First of all many thanks. With theses settings above, it work perfectly.

Because of the positive result, we wish that the feature will be re-enabled in ADS environments.

Please see my Feature Request Re-enabling macOS interoperability and Time Machine based GUI settings if SMB Settings "Enable SMB" is set to "Yes (Active Directory)".

Best regards,

Reini