New method for passthrough devices in Unraid 6.7 (vfio/BIND)

24 minutes ago, comet424 said:

i tried selecting my onboard soundcard to attach to a ubuntu VM   didnt work

so  i also added a USB controller.. and saved and rebooted.. now unraid is bricked wont boot up..  how do i undue  it

my unraid is headless... so i have the unraid usb in my desktop 

what do i do to edit and go back... since this doesnt work for onboard audio  and doesnt fix  USB audio in a VM  the scretching computer sounds

You should be able to get rid of file 'config/vfio-pci.cfg' on the flash and then reboot.

This has been reworked quite a bit in 6.9 - you now use System Devices page to stub pci devices.

@limetech

ah ya i did that wouldnt work i deleted the vifio.pci folder didnt work

when i put the usb back in the computer ...  the config/vfio.cfg was back

and a bak file

so now i trying again i deleted

vfio-pci.cfg.bak  .cfg .plg  

hoping it works.. as this plugin didnt work for me.. as i trying to get Unraid to detect the Onbooard audio  which it doesnt.. and in Ubuntu VM  i added  a USB Soundcard but its sounding funny..  and it cant detect the onboard audio

gues there is no real good work around   passing through the onboard audio.. i really was hoping i could pass through the onboard audio to Dockers like Airsonic.. but couldnt.. and i trying to get the Audio to work in a Ubuntu.. but it cant detect the onboard.. and a USB   it squeals etc.. there is a fix for Windows  but not for ubuntu...

but hopefully it boot up..

2 minutes ago, comet424 said:

just cant get the darn sound to work

On-board sound is hardware dependent and generally problematic - some get it to work, some don't (same with onboard GPU).  Likewise for anything USB related, much better off stubbing the entire usb controller and pass the controller to the VM instead of individual usb devices, especially anything more complex than a mouse or keyboard.

4 minutes ago, limetech said:

On-board sound is hardware dependent and generally problematic - some get it to work, some don't (same with onboard GPU).  Likewise for anything USB related, much better off stubbing the entire usb controller and pass the controller to the VM instead of individual usb devices, especially anything more complex than a mouse or keyboard.

@limetech

ah ok i was just experimenting..  trying to see how this worked.. since i saw the spaceinvader video..  so i wasnt trying to get anything specific   just wanted to see if it worked.. and maybe fixed audio issues

is that genral issue for VM softwars hosts  like  a windows  or a vmware esxi     compared to you installing the OS directly  to  the computer  without a vm hosting software like unraid.

i guess no real good fix for it..   i even tried the Linus tech tips an space invader  to do 2 computers 1 cpu  but didnt like it also running AMD  and i dunno why AMD has issues but apparently Intel doesnt..   but i gave up playing with it.. maybe next release of unraid will have a fix..

i even asked maybe in the future requests forum  if they could make sound card drivers so  sounds could work directly  but you mentioned  its problematic.. so maybe no fix  ... but ill keep trying  other vm fixes instead

i appreciate the help 🙂  always learning  something new every day