[Solved] Registration key file is corrupted or missing

Hey

I have no idea what happened, I havn't used my nas for a few days and it has been running 24 7.

I'm the type of person with way too many browser tabs open all the time and wanted to see something on the nas, and the gui was still running. However it said that I had some system noticfications disabled, so I clicked on the link and enabled it and hit apply, then I did something and it was disabled again, I thought that was odd and maybe I had clicked reset, so I tried again with same result. So I went and turned off the disks in the "main" tab when it was done with that my disks were not assigned which also seems a bit odd, but no big deal I could just assign them again, so I did. Now the "start" button is grayed out and there is a message saying, "Invalid, missing or expired registration key." which also seems a bit odd since I'm running the trial version and I believe that's a 30 day period or so, and I have been using it for 9 days more or less. But in the "Invalid, missing or expired registration key." you can click on registration key and you get taken to the "tools" tab and if you look at the screenshot it says the key is missing or corrupted, I'm a bit confused and don't really want to buy a key after trying a trial for 9 days that then corrupt the key or loses it, it seems a bit like saying, yes please sell me something that doesn't work for me :D

But really I have no done anything up/download on the server in the days prior and it has been on all the time, so I really don't understand what has gone wrong here.

Also I read that you can get your key from customer support but only once a year or something, and I don't want to do that after 9 days ;D

One last thing, I want to attach a log file but how do I get it now that I can't even start the drives anymore?

Unraid lost its key somehow.png

Edited by HAJFAJV

Yes, problems with the flash drive:

May  9 04:40:03 NAS kernel: FAT-fs (sda1): Directory bread(block 30541) failed
May  9 04:40:03 NAS kernel: FAT-fs (sda1): Directory bread(block 30542) failed
May  9 04:40:03 NAS kernel: FAT-fs (sda1): Directory bread(block 30543) failed
May  9 04:40:03 NAS kernel: FAT-fs (sda1): Directory bread(block 30536) failed
May  9 04:40:03 NAS kernel: FAT-fs (sda1): Directory bread(block 30537) failed

Try chkdsk to see if it's fixable, also make sure you're using a USB 2.0 port, not 3.0.

39 minutes ago, HAJFAJV said:

But doesn't the drive load everything into memory? and therefore it doesn't actually do anyone after I booted or did I get that wrong

Not quite true!   

The main OS is loaded into RAM at booting stage, but anything that is configuration related will be written to the USB stick.   This means that although there will be few writes to the USB stick then there will be occasional ones, particularly if you are doing anything in the GUI.   Also, if you are using the GUI then Unraid will tend to be reading configuration related information from the USB stick as part of displaying the GUI tailored to your setup.

2 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

Yes, problems with the flash drive:

May  9 04:40:03 NAS kernel: FAT-fs (sda1): Directory bread(block 30541) failed
May  9 04:40:03 NAS kernel: FAT-fs (sda1): Directory bread(block 30542) failed
May  9 04:40:03 NAS kernel: FAT-fs (sda1): Directory bread(block 30543) failed
May  9 04:40:03 NAS kernel: FAT-fs (sda1): Directory bread(block 30536) failed
May  9 04:40:03 NAS kernel: FAT-fs (sda1): Directory bread(block 30537) failed

Try chkdsk to see if it's fixable, also make sure you're using a USB 2.0 port, not 3.0.

I'm using a 3.0 input  as it has two in front, is that the reason why it has failed? 😮

1 hour ago, HAJFAJV said:

I'm using a 3.0 input  as it has two in front, is that the reason why it has failed? 😮

Difficult to say.    Experience shows that USB2 ports are more reliable than USB3 ones, and also that USB2 flash drives are more reliable than USB3 ones.

15 hours ago, HAJFAJV said:

What should be my next step? Format the drive, run some secret sauce software that fixes things or just get another drive?

If you decide to get a new USB drive then get a USB2 one as they tend to be more reliable (and cheaper) than USB3 ones.

7 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

Try using it on a USB 2.0 port, if issues persist get a new one.

Ok I'll do that, thanks :)

7 hours ago, itimpi said:

If you decide to get a new USB drive then get a USB2 one as they tend to be more reliable (and cheaper) than USB3 ones.

I'm pretty sure the one I'm using is usb 2.0 it's like 10-years-old :)