Disk read failed

1 hour ago, vpnadmin said:

is it possible to post it without exposing the serial numbers in a public forum? (can i send it directly to you in a PM)?

The diagnostics are already anonymized. If you find something in the diagnostics that you think needs further anonymization, let us know and give your reasons, and it will be taken into consideration.

I am not aware of any reason to hide serial numbers, and some very good reasons to show serial numbers, since they are the only reliable way to identify different disks when discussing a lot of disks in a system. Lots of disk serial numbers have been posted in this forum for just this reason.

As for PM, here is the last paragraph from the "Need Help" sticky:

PLEASE do not privately ask the moderators or other users for personal support!  Helpful moderators and users are just users like yourself, unpaid volunteers, and do not provide official support, so it is better to ask support questions on the forum instead.  That way, you get the benefit of having answers from the whole community, instead of just one person who may or may not know, or may be wrong, or may be unavailable.  Plus, you will probably get faster help.  And, other users in the community can benefit by learning from your problem and its solution.

And the reason I asked for the complete diagnostics is because it answers a lot of questions about your system that would be needed to give an answer to your question.

23 hours ago, vpnadmin said:

hello my disk 4 failed to read. does that require a full rebuild or a override?

SMART for a single disk or snippets from a syslog don't tell us nearly enough to tell you the best way to proceed to save your data.

SMART for all disks looks fine. Syslog indicates problems communicating with disk4. Check all connections, SATA and power.

You should rebuild the disk after you get the connections fixed.

Not related to that disabled disk, but there are some other things I noticed in your diagnostics that we can discuss after you get disk4 rebuilt. And some of these I would say are serious misconfigurations that you really ought to fix before using your server for anything else at all.

Your syslog is getting filled up by various connections from another computer on your network. You may have a better idea what is going on there than I do, but you need to do something to make it not happen so frequently or you are going to fill your log space. Plus it makes your syslog a pain to read.

You have a ridiculous number of user shares. No doubt you have accidentally created these by writing things to the top level of your disks. The user shares are simply the top level folders on all disks. Even if you don't intentionally create a user share, if you create a top level folder on a disk, it is a user share. Possibly these have something to do with all those connections from the other computer. Are you transferring things directly to your Unraid disks from that computer?

Your docker image is set to the ridiculous size of 100G. It is extremely unlikely that you would ever get close to filling even 20G unless you have some docker application(s) misconfigured, and making the docker image large only makes it take longer to fill. It is not the solution to filling docker image.

39 minutes ago, vpnadmin said:

can i delete the diagnostic attachment now?

I believe you can edit your post and delete it if you want. Do you have any advice on how we could improve the anonymizing of diagnostics?

If you need any help in the future (and you still have unresolved issues currently) we will usually ask for your diagnostics. As I indicated, the information you gave earlier was insufficient for me to make any recommendations. You might have had problems with other disks that you didn't know about, for example, and those could compromise your attempt to rebuild the disabled disk. And, you did have other issues that you didn't know about.

I am likely to delete your diagnostics that I downloaded from my computer in the near future just to clean things up, since I download a lot of them. And, you can't depend on just me to help you for all the reasons given in that quote.

Diagnostics answers a lot of questions for us, questions that might make a thread drag on for days and pages if we had to ask them and explain to the user how to get the answer. Etc.

For anything involving possible data loss you can expect no help without diagnostics because it is too easy to make a mistake if we don't have enough information. It might not even be possible to decide whether a situation could cause data loss without enough information.

i very much appreciate your time and help. i don't feel comfortable sharing with the world my sn of the hard drives (or my computing habits) because it can lead to warranty theft/claims from unkown actors with simmilar hard drives . my suggestion would be to password protect the zip file and then pm the person looking into the case the password.

1 minute ago, vpnadmin said:

my suggestion would be to password protect the zip file and then pm the person looking into the case the password.

There is no "person looking into the case", and it's often very good that more than one person can give advice, as already explained in that quote above.

Here is that quote again in case you missed some important details there.

PLEASE do not privately ask the moderators or other users for personal support!  Helpful moderators and users are just users like yourself, unpaid volunteers, and do not provide official support, so it is better to ask support questions on the forum instead.  That way, you get the benefit of having answers from the whole community, instead of just one person who may or may not know, or may be wrong, or may be unavailable.  Plus, you will probably get faster help.  And, other users in the community can benefit by learning from your problem and its solution.