using unRaid as router

Since unraid got quite good hardware, is it possible or clever to run some kind of pfsense (or any suggested software) so I can setup users, firewall, radius, dhcp, dns etc on the NAS-server. Im not sure if I want to setup a windows machine, so would like the easiest and most advanced method.

Or is the only solution to setup an own machine for this kind of usage?

Yes, its the catch22 I was afraid of that unraid would fail, then the whole network would fail.

I was concidering using an I3 Dual Gbit NIC with 16GB ram and M2 SSD for some kind of router. Any suggestions of router os that is very good, very good UI (unify integration is a big plus), but the largest requirement is able to do radius and VLAN tagging (tag VLAN for SSID)

I am using Ubiquiti gear.

The USG router has a radius server built-in and I use this to let wifi users login with username + password.

It has the capability to automatically switch a user to the internal wifi network or the guest wifi network based on their credentials.

These wifi networks are each on a different VLAN and logically separated from each other and the rest of the network.

All equipment is managed from a single view. I have the Unifi manager running in a docker container on my Unraid server.

I used a USG router before and as I agree it got basic auth it lacks so much it was not useable. USG have a strange development cycle and will now from what I heard drop edgeOS for their new line, making it extremely unpredictable what to do in the future (like the square AP points that got thrown out "overnight" with no future support or bein able to add into their system anymore)

If you plan on making an all-in-one router device with pfSense with something like that you have to keep in mind that because it's based on FreeBSD you're limited to 802.11n. No support for 802.11ac and from the looks of it no plans for it. Still an interesting looking computer.

2 hours ago, Taddeusz said:

If you plan on making an all-in-one router device with pfSense with something like that you have to keep in mind that because it's based on FreeBSD you're limited to 802.11n. No support for 802.11ac and from the looks of it no plans for it. Still an interesting looking computer.

Availability of radios for this specific box not withstanding, I abide by my recommendation here.