Ryzen 5 2400G Unraid Compatible

Hi Guys

This CPU seems like good value with built in APU, I only want a solid confirmation that it works with Unraid.

What is the current state of Ryzen compatibility with Unraid as of May 2019.

Are C States still an issue?

Will I be able to passthrough graphics card for VM's?

I really want an answer before I take the plunge.

CPU: Amd Ryzen 5 2400G

MB: Asus Prime B450M-A 

Thanks guys.

• 1 month later...

Really?

I've been looking at building a new machine to upgrade a mitx intel pentium build. Should I be avoiding Ryzen still?

I was looking at the same motherboard but a 1600 cpu for esxi with unraid as guest along with some other VMs and dockers (most intensive being plex of course).

On 5/20/2019 at 12:37 PM, pappaq said:

For now I would stay with Intel. I've had a Ryzen 2400g for testing and the power management with linux and the Ryzen CPUs is really bad in my experience.

Your statements are very fanboy vague. How bad is really bad? Can you quantify it please.

Your statements are very fanboy vague. How bad is really bad? Can you quantify it please.
I've got a Ryzen 1700 on a B450 platform and tested it with Windows and with Linux only with the unraid USB stick plugged in and it was always a difference of over 15W. Same with the 2400g.

Also I've tested the 1700 in Windows and it won't clock down the CPU below 2600Mhz. Sure I could go and fiddle around with pstates and so fourth but that is a tedious task and not for everyone. In my experience the support for Intel CPUs under Linux is by far better.

And don't get me wrong. For every non 24/7 system I recommend a Ryzen. And if your power bill doesn't bother you, go ahead. But smooth sailing as with Intel is not possible yet.

If you got the experience to tame the power consumption of my Ryzen build then please go ahead and tell me! I would be more than happy to switch!

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 2 XL mit Tapatalk

The wattage difference while idling can be attributed to higher idle frequency, that does not say anything about power consumption at load. 15W is equivalent to just under 11 kWh / month. That is at most 3 Euros / year. You have to hold on to your Intel system for at least 10 years to make up the difference in prices.

I am not against your choice of Intel over AMD but your unsupported assessment of "really bad" is misleading.

The wattage difference while idling can be attributed to higher idle frequency, that does not say anything about power consumption at load. 15W is equivalent to just under 11 kWh / month. That is at most 3 Euros / year. You have to hold on to your Intel system for at least 10 years to make up the difference in prices.

I am not against your choice of Intel over AMD but your unsupported assessment of "really bad" is misleading.
I've read post in which people state that their Ryzen systems draw like 50-70 from the wall idling. I can't get mine to under 100W. No matter what. And a nearly as powerful Intel system comes really close to the much lower wattage.

Like I said. It is possible but so much more difficult or I didn't find the right way.

And your calculations are a little bit off. 11kWh/month add up to 132kWh per year and that multiplied with 0,29cents/kWh is about 38€ a year. That is pretty much if you ask me.

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 2 XL mit Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm thinking about choosing another G4560 or ASUS Prime N4000T... or because I'm curious about the APU transc. performance an AMD Athlon 200GE...  But if I read this...Oo

I want to run it 24/7 and in Germany I can be happy about 30cent kWh.

Edited by Reflexion
34 minutes ago, Reflexion said:

I'm thinking about choosing another G4560 or ASUS Prime N4000T... or because I'm curious about the APU transc. performance an AMD Athlon 200GE...  But if I read this...Oo

I want to run it 24/7 and in Germany I can be happy about 30cent kWh.

Ok, I tinkered around the last few days with my Ryzen 1700 System and got it down to about 75W idle with a GTX 1070 AND a GTX 960 but it is still some tinkering involved and no plug in and go. That said, for a low power system I would stil suggest you a system like my other server: Celeron J4105. It is able to transcode up to 3-4 1080p streams and handles my 25 docker containers pretty well and idles around at 30W. The Ryzen APUs are not yet able to transcode at all as far as I know. If you want to run this many dockers I recommend 16GB of RAM and if not 8GB will suffice.

cheers

• Like 1