Moving drives from Synology to unRaid server

I have an older Synology with four 2TB hard drives on there.

I'd like to move my data onto my unRaid server that I just got. I have a 1TB SSD that i'll be using for the cache, and a 3TB HDD that i'll be using for parity.

Am I able to just take the drives out of the Synology and hook them up to my unRaid server and have unRaid do it's thing?

Unraid doesn't have a "thing" to automatically transfer data if that's what you mean. Whether Unraid can easily read your Synology disks is another question I don't know the answer to, not being familiar with Synology.

Does the Synology not work any more? If it does you should be able to transfer the data from one system to the other over the network.

I guess it depends how you configured your Synology but if you used SHR or SHR-2 you have no way to just "plug in" your drives and retain the data.

I'm currently in the process of transferring 30TB of ISO's using 2 x 4TB externals (the server I'm transferring to is off-site) which is crazy slow. I'm also taking the gamble to keep my costs down of pulling out my redundant drives in the Syno so I dont have to buy 3x8TB drives for the Unraid array until I can pull all the drives from the Syno.

The idea is I'll fill what I have (13 odd TB) without touching the Syno then pull one of my 2 redundant disks and add it to the Unraid, fill that, then pull the other redundant disk and have my data at risk for the final leg of the transfer.

In the end I weighed it up and the time cost of regathering the ISO's is much much less than the $700 odd Aussie Dollars 2 x 8TB disks would cost that in total size I don't really need.

Edit: The math is probably a bit off here but its worked out properly on paper at home :P

Edited by Runear
Clarity
3 hours ago, Runear said:

I guess it depends how you configured your Synology but if you used SHR or SHR-2 you have no way to just "plug in" your drives and retain the data.

I'm currently in the process of transferring 30TB of ISO's using 2 x 4TB externals (the server I'm transferring to is off-site) which is crazy slow. I'm also taking the gamble to keep my costs down of pulling out my redundant drives in the Syno so I dont have to buy 3x8TB drives for the Unraid array until I can pull all the drives from the Syno.

The idea is I'll fill what I have (13 odd TB) without touching the Syno then pull one of my 2 redundant disks and add it to the Unraid, fill that, then pull the other redundant disk and have my data at risk for the final leg of the transfer.

In the end I weighed it up and the time cost of regathering the ISO's is much much less than the $700 odd Aussie Dollars 2 x 8TB disks would cost that in total size I don't really need.

Edit: The math is probably a bit off here but its worked out properly on paper at home :P

This is probably what I'll have to do because I can't afford to buy new drives just for the server. I was hoping to reuse what I already have so I can sell the synology without any drives.

8 hours ago, trurl said:

Unraid doesn't have a "thing" to automatically transfer data if that's what you mean. Whether Unraid can easily read your Synology disks is another question I don't know the answer to, not being familiar with Synology.

Does the Synology not work any more? If it does you should be able to transfer the data from one system to the other over the network.

The synology works, it's just slow and can't handle everything I want to use it for. I cannot transfer directly from one onto the other because I don't have any spare drives.