guest VM autostart is not working

Hello ,

I have enabled autostart and i could see the soft link also created (/var/libvirt/qemu/autostart/*.xml > link) . but when i reboot the host the vm is not getting started by default . every reboot i have to start manually . 

host : linux machine

hypervisor :kvm

could someone help ? Thanks in advance....

• 8 months later...

Hi, 

I'm also experiencing a similar issue, I'm running 6.8.1 and setting, for the first time, a VM to autostart.

• I also checked out the autostart directory (/var/libvirt/qemu/autostart/), found links in there (they looked valid) and removed them, reset the "autostart" option and found new links were created in the autostart folder. However the VM service still does not start the VMs.
  • I checked the libvirt log, and could only find the following error: "error : qemuMonitorIO:619 : internal error: End of file from qemu monitor". 
  • Using Krusader, I had a look at the link files in the autostart folder, the "Link to: " field lists the source path but also has " - (broken)" stated next to the link. The link is valid and is the correct path for the file, not sure if this is an issue or not.

Note: the VMs start manually without any issues. Other services are starting without any issues. The VMs are hosted on a disk mounted using Unassigned Devices,. I cannot see any errors in the main log. Attempting to trigger autostart by stopping the array and then starting it again. 

Anyway, any thoughts/recommendations would be welcome. TIA!

On 1/19/2020 at 4:17 PM, User01 said:

Hi, 

I'm also experiencing a similar issue, I'm running 6.8.1 and setting, for the first time, a VM to autostart.

• I also checked out the autostart directory (/var/libvirt/qemu/autostart/), found links in there (they looked valid) and removed them, reset the "autostart" option and found new links were created in the autostart folder. However the VM service still does not start the VMs.
  • I checked the libvirt log, and could only find the following error: "error : qemuMonitorIO:619 : internal error: End of file from qemu monitor". 
  • Using Krusader, I had a look at the link files in the autostart folder, the "Link to: " field lists the source path but also has " - (broken)" stated next to the link. The link is valid and is the correct path for the file, not sure if this is an issue or not.

Note: the VMs start manually without any issues. Other services are starting without any issues. The VMs are hosted on a disk mounted using Unassigned Devices,. I cannot see any errors in the main log. Attempting to trigger autostart by stopping the array and then starting it again. 

Anyway, any thoughts/recommendations would be welcome. TIA!

Exact same issue, i recently moved my Dockers/VMs to an unassigned SSD and they do not autostart

Help?

• 2 months later...

I have the same issue and did not find any other related thread be User1 or CrimsonTyphoon.

Did you solve the problem? How?

Rebooting after turning off the VM manger before turning it back an is not really a solution...

Edited by b0m541