VPN/IP browser/deluge question

Hello, 

I'm not real sure where to put this, so I will start here.  

I have unraid newest version running with Deluge, using OpenVPN.  For a site, I'm needing my browser IP to match exactly to what my deluge IP is using, and I'm not sure the best way to go about that.

I generally only use the VPN through unraid, and dont use one on my person computer, but due to the rules of this site.  Whatever IP I use to access the site has to be the same IP that the torrent downloads through.

Any thoughts/ideas?  

Thanks

If you use binhex's deluge-vpn docker, you can enable the privoxy portion, and set your preferred browser to use privoxy. It tunnels through the same IP that deluge is using.

I'm not sure from your description what you are currently doing to pass the deluge traffic through your vpn, but binhex makes it seamless with his containers.

17 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

If you use binhex's deluge-vpn docker, you can enable the privoxy portion, and set your preferred browser to use privoxy. It tunnels through the same IP that deluge is using.

I'm not sure from your description what you are currently doing to pass the deluge traffic through your vpn, but binhex makes it seamless with his containers.

I do use that, I'll check that out thanks! 

23 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

Hmmm well I use openvpn, but binhex deluge. I'll have to look into it too figure out how to try that

4 hours ago, binhex said:

If you are just interested in running a proxy then I would recommend using the privoxyvpn image as this only contains the proxy server (privoxy)

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

I used the openvpn originally that so I could access my server away from home. Is there a way to use both together? 

4 hours ago, coltonc18 said:

I used the openvpn originally that so I could access my server away from home. Is there a way to use both together? 

Now I'm more confused. In general, VPN's are used to create a secure tunnel between two points. There are two ways people tend to use them.

Connecting to a foreign or less identifiable endpoint to make downloading or browsing less trackable, you generally pay a third party like PIA or NordVPN for use of their endpoints,

or,

Connecting one of your devices back to your home network while you are away, so you can access your stuff securely while logged in to a foreign network.

When you described the scenario of needing your browser to connect using the same IP as your torrent client, I ASSumed you were using a service such as PIA to obfuscate your home IP for torrenting, and needed to access the tracker's web site using that same VPN tunnel.

That's why I asked for clarification on how exactly the VPN figured in to this.

1 hour ago, jonathanm said:

Now I'm more confused. In general, VPN's are used to create a secure tunnel between two points. There are two ways people tend to use them.

Connecting to a foreign or less identifiable endpoint to make downloading or browsing less trackable, you generally pay a third party like PIA or NordVPN for use of their endpoints,

or,

Connecting one of your devices back to your home network while you are away, so you can access your stuff securely while logged in to a foreign network.

When you described the scenario of needing your browser to connect using the same IP as your torrent client, I ASSumed you were using a service such as PIA to obfuscate your home IP for torrenting, and needed to access the tracker's web site using that same VPN tunnel.

That's why I asked for clarification on how exactly the VPN figured in to this.

OK you are correct. 

I use PIA, and use openvpn on my server to access my server away from when needed. 

I'm also wanting to do what you mentioned at then end. Right now I don't necessarily use my VPN on my desktop because it's not needed. The torrenting is done on the server which runs through the VPN, so no problems. 

However, this site says my ip that actually accesses the site, to click/download the torrent, has to match exaclty the same as the IP that my server is showing. 

This is the issue I'm running into. I don't know how to make my pc and server go through the same tunnel when needed. 

Thanks! 

On 5/16/2019 at 12:03 PM, jonathanm said:

https://github.com/binhex/documentation/blob/master/docker/faq/vpn.md

https://www.privoxy.org/user-manual/quickstart.html

Substitute 127.0.0.1:8118 with the IP of your unraid server and the privoxy port defined in the docker config.

Im having an issue here, and i'm not sure why.

I downloaded it, and installed the windows version then I went to cmd prompt
I have it 

C:\Program Files (x86)\Privoxy>privoxy --install 

Then I get this error 
"Cant open service control manager - Service install failed!
Admin rights are required to create a service."

Yet im signed into my admin account on my windows computer.

13 minutes ago, coltonc18 said:

I downloaded it, and installed the windows version

Why? If you are indeed using binhex's delugevpn docker with the VPN enabled, privoxy is already installed and ready to use in his docker. Just set the variable ENABLE_PRIVOXY to yes, and add your server IP and port 8118 as an http proxy in your preferred browser.

• Upvote 1
13 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

Why? If you are indeed using binhex's delugevpn docker with the VPN enabled, privoxy is already installed and ready to use in his docker. Just set the variable ENABLE_PRIVOXY to yes, and add your server IP and port 8118 as an http proxy in your preferred browser.

Perfect!! Thanks so much, I guess I was thinking I had to install it to work on the browser.

Either way, I got it resolved, this is exactly what I was looking for.  Thanks so much for the help!

Just now, coltonc18 said:

Perfect!! Thanks so much, I guess I was thinking I had to install it to work on the browser.

Either way, I got it resolved, this is exactly what I was looking for.  Thanks so much for the help!

Now, to verify things are working as needed, go to any one of the IP checking sites in the browser (whatismyip.com or similar) and make sure you get the same IP as the test torrent in deluge. https://www.vpnuniversity.com/bittorrent/how-to-check-your-torrent-ip-address

1 minute ago, jonathanm said:

Now, to verify things are working as needed, go to any one of the IP checking sites in the browser (whatismyip.com or similar) and make sure you get the same IP as the test torrent in deluge. https://www.vpnuniversity.com/bittorrent/how-to-check-your-torrent-ip-address

yup, just checked it, I had my IP pulled on the computer, and it changed after the switch...then ran the curl check in the deluge console and they match :D