Faulty HDD Tray units??

Hi,

I've been running a server with 13 disks in a cabinet with 3 x Icybox IB-565SSK HDD Trays for over a year with no issues,

Recently I underwent a move, so I took out all the drives and packaged them individually in anti static bags to move the server more easily.

When I booted it up again after setting it up in my new house, I had one missing disk. Figured it was a loose cable, shut it down and confirmed all the connections were snug and booted up again to 5 missing disks! after two more reboots all the disks were missing!

Connecting the harddrives directly to the motherboard with the same sata and power cables that were connected to the HDD Trays works fine, but in the HDD Tray nothing happens, the fans on the trays spins for a few seconds on boot up, but there's no activity light or any sounds from the harddrives.

I couldn't believe all the HDD Trays would fail at the same time like that, but I didn't know what else it could be, I even tried them with a different motherboard and different power supply. And I confirmed all the disks worked fine.

So I RMA'ed them, and I just received 3 new ones today.

I just installed them all, connected all the cables, mounted all the drives in the trays, and booted up excited to finally have my server up and running again.

My excitement was short lived.. The same exact problem, no activity from the drives, all missing drives in unraid...

I'm at my wits end, I can not possibly have received 3 faulty HDD tray units, there certainly has to be something else going on here, I feel like nothing makes sense anymore, I'm so lost.....

Oh. My. God.

I feel like a total idiot! I totally forgot you had to hold a tiny button on front of the trays for each disk to power them on! I only had to do it once the first time I installed them, they were always on after reboots!

I feel so guilty for returning the old ones and receiving new ones 😫

Just gonna let this post stay here as a monument of my failure..

One of 13 drives have somehow gotten a new identification signature so unraid wont recognize it as the old disk anymore, how is that even possible.

What used to be ST2000DL003-9VT166_5YD21G0P is now reported as a ST2000DM001-1CH164_Z2FOX9J1 that's a 7200rpm Seatgate drive, the drive is most definitely a 5200rpm Seagate ST2000DL003.

I think I'm losing my mind.

Edit: It's disk 9, if I remember correctly that's the disk that was missing the first time I booted up after the move as well. Hmm..

Edited by Nilsen
3 hours ago, Nilsen said:

I totally forgot you had to hold a tiny button on front of the trays for each disk to power them on!

A good lesson.

3 hours ago, Nilsen said:

I only had to do it once the first time I installed them, they were always on after reboots!

You means never power off them over a year before ?

In fact, those cage should remember last power state or just simple power on if power again. So, I don't fully understand what's going on.