Ran hdparm -W1 /dev/sdb and disks freaked out

The latest fix common problems version was complaining that one of my disks did not have write cache enabled.

So in order to fix that I ran hdparm -W1 /dev/sdb (while the array was still mounted). hdparm took longer than normal and ended up with a failure, then just seconds after hdparm ended, unraid started reporting errors on all 4 disks connected to the same hdd cabinet as /dev/sdb. Eventually unraid dropped one of the disks and marked it as failed.

I stopped the array.

Unassigned the disk that had been marked as failed.

Started the array.

Stopped the array.

Re-assigned the disk that had been failed.

Now it's running Parity-Sync/Data-Rebuild.

The thing is, I browsed some of my shares and noticed there were folders that were just empty. Will the files inside those folder be recreated when parity/data-rebuild is completed or did I suffer major dataloss? If so can I do anything to try to recover those files? (No backup).

Edit: Forgot diagnostics.

tower-diagnostics-20190516-1724.zip

Edited by sorano

Ok, I forgot to mention I powercycled the cabinett that hosts the drives that had errors after the first stop of the array.

I take it nothing can be done to save the lost files now?

About split-level, I'm running: Automatically split any directory as required.

I tested to browse the share from webgui, how could I verify if they are anywhere else @itimpi ?

Diagnostics are attached in first posts.

Give me a min and I'll locate the time when it happened.

In the syslog file:

May 16 12:29:52 Tower sshd[7773]: Accepted password for root from 10.0.1.11 port 51344 ssh2
May 16 12:30:12 Tower kernel: usb 4-1: USB disconnect, device number 2

So between 12:29:52 and 12:30:12 I ran hdparm -W1 /dev/sdb

Edited by sorano
Just now, itimpi said:

I cannot see how the sequence you describe could lead to files going missing

Same, I was afraid you were rebuilding disk2 with errors on other disks, but it appears to all be good, emulated disk2 mounted correctly and it's full:

Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/md2        2.8T  2.6T  174G  94% /mnt/disk2

@Squidmight be a good idea to discourage users from running hdparm on USB disks, since USB command/SMART support is iffy.

46 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

@Squidmight be a good idea to discourage users from running hdparm on USB disks, since USB command/SMART support is iffy.

But it's a long weekend...  I should be able to squeeze that text change in  sometime between breakfast and the first beer (pretty small window though)

I do know that under normal circumstances that running the hdparm causes no problems (I tested it without even bothering to stop my array)