Need Upgrade Advice

gyrene2083

Hello All, 

I've had my trusty Norco 4220 since 2011, it's still running on a Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H, with a AMD Athlon™ II X2 250 and 4 gigs of Ram. Geez just typing that cracks me up. 

Anyway, I just updated my server to the Unraid 6.7 from 5.0. I know, I know no need to tell me, but for what I needed at the time everything worked. Hell I still have my Hitatchi Deskstar 5K300 2GB drives running in there. I've only replaced two since 2011! 

I also have a Win10 Pro with Stablebits DrivePool and I have a 2U Supermicro 8 Bay - X8DTi-F with 2 Xeon L5640 I'm not sure what I'm going to do with that one though.

So now that I've disclosed my present hardware, here is what they do, see below :

Win10 - 36TBs - Has NZBGet, Sonarr, NZBGeek, NewsHosting, Emby, Media Center Master (mixture of 4TB drives)

UnRaid - 34TBs - Initially used to stream to my Kodi HTPC from the Media backed up from Win10 (mixture of 2TB drives)

Supermicro - 80TBs - <Uncertain what to do just yet> (mixture of 10TB drives)

Synology DS916+ 

I have all of these in a rack server, honestly, I would love to have just one box that does it all, and maybe keep the second as a backup. 

I just want to stream my videos (Blu-rays) to my Rokus, Photos, Music. I am not familiar with the use of Dockers, and unsure about VMs, but I am looking to you, the community, to help this 'Ole Grumpy Marine out the best you can. 

Thank you in advance.

-Semper Fi

gyrene2083

Consolidating into the Norco makes the most sense if you want a single machine to handle it all.

Whether you go with a dual Xeon CPU setup, i9 CPU or a Threadripper - you should have enough horsepower to run almost anything you want.

If cost is an issue, I'd price out i9 vs. Threadripper.  Just make sure the MB you select has enough PCI-e slots for future expansion if you need it.

• Like 1

@whipdancer, thanks for responding. I have a Threadripper 2950 actually sitting on my desk which I was using for video encoding. If I could use that as the server build, I've seen spaceinvaders video on setting up handbrake to do encodes that would be great! 

I do have a question, as I said I built the Norco in 2011, it has two SUPERMICRO AOC-SASLP-MV8 cards in it which max Transfer Rate is 3GBs. Would updating those cards to ones that have 6GB Transfer Rates increase the speeds, OR is the Norcos backplane going to restrict those speeds anyway. I can't find the specs from the time I bought the server, as NewEgg only has an updated description. 

Hell when I bought the Norco, it didn't even come with a fan plate. Anyway, I appreciate your time and thoughts.