Upgrade advice for 7 year old system

Hello,

I am looking for some advise to upgrade my server to improve performance for Plex and start running VMs and Steam from the server.

My current build is:
Intel Core i3 @ 3.07Ghz
Supermicro X8SIL motherboard
8GB Ram.
2 x AOC-SASLP-MV8
Norco 4220 Case
1 x 10TB Parity Drive
19 data drives - combination of 3 x 3TB and 16 x 4TB
1 x 1TB SSD cache drive

Main usage of the server:
Plex streaming 4-6 (concurrent) users
Steam running 2 games (2 video cards)
Dockers (plex / sonarr / couchpotato / sabnzbd)
3-4 Windows 10 VMs

My current issue is performance when Plex is running 3 or more streams, the server maxes out on CPU and RAM, so I am looking for a multi core CPU (6-8+) or dual CPU combination that will fit in my existing Norco 4220 case and a motherboard that will support two graphics cards and the RAID cards.

During the migration, I will install a second 10TB parity drive and an additional 2TB SSD for running VMs\Steam by removing older 3TB drives and replacing these with 10TB Red hard drives.

My other concern is the AOC-SASLP-MV8 cards which I have read are no longer supported, though I have never had an issue and what card would be best to replace these two cards and if I can use only one card, this would free up a slot on the motherboard.

I would like to hear of any suggestions or links to existing builds people have posted and my budget is up to $2k USD (excluding hard drives), either for new or second hand parts?

Thanks in advance

ds.

During the migration, I will install a second 10TB parity drive and an additional 2TB SSD for running VMs\Steam by removing older 3TB drives and replacing these with 10TB Red hard drives.

To start this off, what will be your HD’s? You said you’d replace the 3x3tb with a 10tb and keep the 16x4tb right? Will you buy more 8 or 10tb drives?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi jrd680,

Yes, over time.

For this build, I will need a second 10TB for a parity drive, so my plan is to upgrade the three 3TB drives to 10TB and convert one of the data drives to be the second parity drive and the other two 10TB drives will remain as data drives, one of which will have 6TB of data from the retired data drive.

For the time being, the remaining data drives will remain as 4TB drives and as the price per TB comes down (or I run our of storage space), I will upgrade the 4TB drives to 10TB drives.

I will also be adding an additional SSD hard drive(s) to run the VMs and steam and I am looking for feedback based on the motherboard if this is SSD or NAND drives.

Thank you for your reply and I am unsure what motherboard will support two graphics card and the two raid cards in my existing Norco 4220 case or if I am better to buy a new case or build two servers, with the storage computer (this server) upgraded to be like the Spartacus Plex 4.0 computer for storage, Plex and dockers and a second server to run the VMs and Steam?

Edited by Euph
clarrification

Hi All,

I have been reading a few post and Tybio post has me thinking about the following system:

CPU: Xeon E-2176G
Motherboard: Gigabyte - C246-WU4 ATX LGA1151
RAM: 32GB (2 x 16GB Kingston 16GB 2666MHz ECC Unbuffered DDR4; KSM26ED8/16ME)
Case: Norco 4220
RAID: AOC-SASLP-MV8
RAID: AOC-SASLP-MV8
Graphics Card:
Graphics Card:
Parity Drive: 1 x 10TB WD RED
Parity Drive: 1 x 10TB WD RED (to be purchased)
Cache Drive: 1 x 1TB Samsung EVO SSD
Cache Drive: 1 x 2TB Samsung EVO SSD (to be purchased)
Storage Drives: 1 x 10TB WD RED; 15 x 4TB WD RED; 2 x 3TB WD RED

Would this motherboard support 2 graphics cards and the RAID controllers and should I be replacing these RAID cards or keep them with the migration?

Hi All,

Parity Drive: 1 x 10TB WD RED
Parity Drive: 1 x 10TB WD RED (to be purchased)
Cache Drive: 1 x 1TB Samsung EVO SSD
Cache Drive: 1 x 2TB Samsung EVO SSD (to be purchased)
Storage Drives: 1 x 10TB WD RED; 15 x 4TB WD RED; 2 x 3TB WD RED

Why 2 different sized cache drives? Also is 2 parity drives needed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk