can't boot to local GUI from USB (solved)

I've been using unraid 6.6.7 pro for weeks now. I did a clean shut down a few days ago and when I powered back on I received an error after selecting either the local GUI or GUI safe mode.  See picture for error. The usb I am using is new kingston. After loading a trial version of unraid on a different new kingston. I was able to load the GUI without issues. I can see all the files on my original USB (key, etc.) but do not have a backup or a way to boot into the GUI to create a backup.

Since this is a new USB I'm not completely sure it's failing, I've copied the drive contents over to another computer.  How would I go about trouble shooting before creating a new USB? Remove plug-ins?

If I do need to create a new drive what folder and files could I copy over so that the setup is easy?

image0.jpg

Edited by rustmouth

All your settings are stored in the config folder on the USB stick.    Since you have backed this up you could rewrite the original USB as though starting from scratch; check it boots; and as long as it does copy the saved config folder onto the USB stick overwriting existing contents to have your settings intact.

• Upvote 1

Thank you. That worked great.

Backed up the drive. Reformatted the USB with the unraid tool, made sure it would boot. then copied/replaced the config folder and it's back up and running like normal.  Any advice on how to avoid that in the future or what would cause that?

7 minutes ago, rustmouth said:

Thank you. That worked great.

Backed up the drive. Reformatted the USB with the unraid tool, made sure it would boot. then copied/replaced the config folder and it's back up and running like normal.  Any advice on how to avoid that in the future or what would cause that?

Not really sure.    Something must have caused some corruption on the USB stick.  

As a point of good practise any time you make any significant configuration change it is a good idea to make a backup of the USB stick by clicking on the ‘flash’ drive on the Main tab.   Ideally this should be done with the Array stopped so that if you ever have to use the backup Unraid will not try and do a parity check on starting the array.