[solved] Network card not detected in Unraid

Hi,

I bought a IBM/ Intel Pro/1000 PT Quad Port NIC Ethernet PCI-E Adapter 39Y6138 on ebay.

I want to setuo Pfsense but this csrd is not detected. I was reading and this should be compatible.

I'm using a lenovo M83 as hardware for my build.

Is there anything I need to do here to make this work?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Edited by gacpac

I think is the card pci express. It works on windows, but it doesn't work for any Linux distro.

Can someone give me a good recommendation that's not super expensive.

Maybe i should move this post to the lounge

Hi Everyone, 

I finally got a card. This one is not fake and it gets detected when I use the command 

lspci 

I see the card is picking my onboard nic and it's also picking up my new Quad Intel I350 gigabit network connection (rev 01) 

But I'm not getting IP. I've been using IP reservation for my server FYI.

Something I'm doing wrong?

7 minutes ago, bonienl said:

Correct, change assignments here and reboot your server afterwards.

Thanks. I see it works but I'm getting this message I don't know why. 

image.png.c3013dc4893217d102b8698be55319f5.png

My end goal is to have more ports and assign custom nics to dockers and VMs. Which, I think can be achieved if I enable bridge.

Just now, bonienl said:

To turn off this message, go to the Network settings and click on "Port Down" for eth1.

Cool. Just did it worked. 

Question. I don't know if it's possible, how can I use the extra ports that I have now with the docker containers and VMs? I guess is using bridge, but don't know how to set it up. I see you can do a single bridge with all the ports, or create each port as it's own bridge. If there's a FAQ somewhere send me there. 

Something like ?

br0 -> eth0

br1  -> eth1

br2 -> eth2

br3 -> eth3

br4 -> eth4

Also, I really don't plan in using bonding, because honestly, it's my house, and when the internet goes down, it goes down. For what else I can use bonding here, other than increasing throughput maybe (My network is 1GB so it won't get faster than that)

Edited by gacpac
Bonding is a good solution for two main reasons
  1. Higher availability. When a link fails, your server stays reachable for local and remote clients
  2. Higher throughput. This is beneficial when several local clients access your server at the same time
Thanks for the explanation.

I think I'll keep it disable for now. I have only one ISP provider, so high availability won't help me much there. And for performance done right I gotta buy a switch that supports link aggregation. And it's only me connecting to the server so.

This should be enough to get me started with pfsense.
I noticed Spaceinvader recommends using the nic via pcie pass-through. But I want to use the extra ports for different VMs I don't see why not.

Is this possible?