VMDF?

Hello, I am trying get some virtual box VM's from vulnhub up and running on my Unraid server, and I am running into difficulty.  I am running Unraid 6.6.7 and I have other VM's loaded from .iso up and working. I download the files and receive a vmdf file. I have converted them to qcow2 using qemu-ing but I am unable to get the vm manager to recognize the files. I am trying to select them from the "OS Install ISO" drop down. Is this correct? Am I missing steps? Will this work at all? Any help would be appreciated.

Do you mean vmdk (rather than vmdf)?     If so they are not supported by the Unraid GUI although the underlying KVM system can normally use them.    Since the GUI does not support them you have to manually enter the full path.     Also a vmdk File is not an iso image but the main vdisk that is used to run the VM.    You also need to ensure the controller type is set correctly to match what the original VM was set up to use.    This is probably not the vfio type that Unraid defaults to but something like SATA.   There have to be appropriate drivers already loaded into the VM or it will not be able to use the vdisk.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Biloxi_1 said:

Yes, I meant vmdk. Thank you for correcting me. This has gotten me further along, Now when I start the VM it just drops me at a UEFI shell prompt. It is probably the driver issue that you spoke of.

You also need to know whether the VM can do a UEFI boot or not.    If the vmdk is not set up for UEFI boot then you should be using the SeaBIOS option.

• Like 1

Hey again, I'm still struggling with this. I was reading the below forum post where you helped another guy, and I am having the exact same problem. I tried the steps that you outlined in the post changing the options to what I thought were correct. How do you figure out which options should be selected? I am trying to get this to run https://sourceforge.net/projects/metasploitable/files/Metasploitable2/  I have setup the VM with Ubuntu and just general linux and tried various combinations of BIOSs and vdisk modes. Any input you could provide would be much appreciated.