Old school mainboard

I have an Intel i7-3930k processor that's plenty for a server build. I already have the DDR3-1800 memory but I just need a mainboard. I want to stay away from Asus, since that's what I have now and can't copy files between my drives properly. I'm actually doing all this just to eliminate if the copy issue is a hardware issue or not. As in another post when copying files from one user share to another ( even if the drives are on different controllers ) the copy starts great then after a little bit will actually drop right down to 0MB/sec and sit there for 30-45 seconds and then start up again. It is slowly driving me crazy since I cannot figure out why it is happening and no one in the support section has any ideas either. So to satisfy my mind before I do go crazy I want to try a completely different mainboard. I wish I could rent one. I've been out of the hardware market for a long time now since I really haven't needed anything in a long time, so does anyone suggest a particular mainboard? It has to have an LGA 2011 processor socket and at least 2 PCI-E slots, preferably 3.  

Before I updated to a new CPU, I was on the same architecture. Your choices for a main board are outrageous prices for 1 of a few limited options that are available new - or scavenge something from another system.

I sourced options from ebay, facebook market place, nextdoor, and craigslist.  In the end, I opted to buy a new mainboard, CPU and memory. It was less hassle IMO.

4 minutes ago, whipdancer said:

Before I updated to a new CPU, I was on the same architecture. Your choices for a main board are outrageous prices for 1 of a few limited options that are available new - or scavenge something from another system.

I sourced options from ebay, facebook market place, nextdoor, and craigslist.  In the end, I opted to buy a new mainboard, CPU and memory. It was less hassle IMO.

I don't know if I could let myself do that. My processor new is still selling for about $450-$500. I just can't throw it away. If I can get away with spending around $250 for a mainboard that I could handle.

What did you end up buying in the end?

I ended up going with a Ryzen 5 2600.

The fact that a new "old" CPU is expensive can be misleading. It's not necessarily because they are worth it, but often because they are hard to find. If you are hardware locked, then that old CPU is worth quite a bit.

For comparison - your I7-3930K vs. I5-8600 vs. Ryzen 5-2600. Your old CPU holds up well in performance, but at twice the cost to operate.
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-i7-3930K-vs-Intel-i5-8600-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-2600/902vs3251vs3243

Besides, you don't have to throw it away. You can sell it. I sold my i5-2400 and i7-2600 when I pulled them out of their respective machines.

Edited by whipdancer
On 5/23/2019 at 1:05 AM, whipdancer said:

I ended up going with a Ryzen 5 2600.

The fact that a new "old" CPU is expensive can be misleading. It's not necessarily because they are worth it, but often because they are hard to find. If you are hardware locked, then that old CPU is worth quite a bit.

For comparison - your I7-3930K vs. I5-8600 vs. Ryzen 5-2600. Your old CPU holds up well in performance, but at twice the cost to operate.
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-i7-3930K-vs-Intel-i5-8600-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-2600/902vs3251vs3243

Besides, you don't have to throw it away. You can sell it. I sold my i5-2400 and i7-2600 when I pulled them out of their respective machines.

This is true. I can always put up my processor for sale, but then again I wouldn't think there would be that many people looking for a an LGA 2011 processor. Even though the processor has great specs and holds up well and has never been overclocked I can only wonder what I could get for it. I guess it can't hurt to try. I've never experienced my issue with unraid since I've been using it, so it does baffle me a little bit. Even in terminal mode when trying to move files from disk to disk the speeds start out great and drop right down to 0 and then pick up a little. I was actually thinking of Synology since this problem doesn't look like it is going away. Thanks for the suggestion and idea. Heck, I think I paid $499 for my processor several years ago. Imagine getting the same price now. How messed up is the computer component market or what. I wonder what future technology Intel has just sitting in their shelves when their stock starts to slowly drop just a hair. I'm sure they have the next few future pieces of hardware already made. Just check out some of their patents. Maybe I'll replace the forward break out cables just for the heck of it...since I never did replace them. Doing that would be just to do it for the heck of it. Not very expensive and all I need is 4 of them. Or is it reverse break out cables. I always get confused, will need to look that up. They do look identical, specially the red popular red ones that everyone uses. I've seen these nice thin blue ones that seem to very easy to route though the small holes. I'll even try a voodoo priest to bless the server. You never know. :)

Thanks again!