Windows 10 VM 1903

On a clean fresh install of 1903 I don't see any issues like yours. The only thing I had is on a local account on first login OnDriveSetup.exe pegged all the cores, in my case to 100% for maybe a minute. Also some Windows apps had to update itself + 3 or 4 Windows updates needed to be installed on a fresh install.

4 vcpu's, 8GB RAM, 30GB vdisk scsi the rest is on default and no passthrough. 

1 hour ago, bastl said:

On a clean fresh install of 1903 I don't see any issues like yours. The only thing I had is on a local account on first login OnDriveSetup.exe pegged all the cores, in my case to 100% for maybe a minute. Also some Windows apps had to update itself + 3 or 4 Windows updates needed to be installed on a fresh install.

4 vcpu's, 8GB RAM, 30GB vdisk scsi the rest is on default and no passthrough. 

@bastl do you see much performance increase from using the scsi driver rather than sata for the vdisk?

@AntaresUK The 2 best choices are still VirtIO and SCSI and is adviced by the Unraid team. Both have the least amount of overhead but for both you need the drivers during the OS install. Windows doesn't have any drivers for these devices out of the box. The advantage of SCSI is you can pass through trim operations from within the guest to the host. This isn't possible with SATA or IDE devices. Windows in this case is aware of an underlying SSD an optimizes the disk like a normal SSD. For older operating systems and some linux distros only SATA devices are recognised.

• Upvote 1

I did a couple more tests and another thing what I noticed with 1903, as soon as I login with a user no matter if I use VNC or RDP all cores spike up to 100% for maybe 20-30 seconds. A short spike is normal but this amount of load is unusual. Remember it's a fresh install without any passthrough. I went a bit further and stripped down the install iso and removed a couple of the junk, all the useless apps and services and preconfigured the install, removed or disabled all the tracking functionality as far as I know of. Same behaviour. After the first login it looks like everything settles down and works as normal, only the first seconds the cores are all pegged more than on older versions. Not exactly sure what causes this, maybe microsofts newest implementations to prevent all the spectre meltdown zombieload attack surfaces. Maybe on older CPU architectures like on Piledriver and Bulldozer in a virtual environment this is an issue now. Let's hope maybe some other users can report back if they have the same issue as you on similar hardware. Have you tried it with Q35 as machine type instead of i440fx? @Tucubanito07