Move cache to LSI SAS 9300 in 6.7

Hi,

I am planning to move my 4 ssd cache drives standard SATA to LSI SAS 9300-8i HBA. Three questions:

1) Will unRaid 6.7 recognise ssd`s connected to this HBA?

2) Will the ssd`s have to be reformatted after connected to the HBA to again be setup as cache drives?

3) Can I just set Shares cache settings from "Prefer/Only" to "No" and run "Move", and then be able to remove the ssd cache drives and the Server run as is?

I be happy for any advice.

Cheers,

Frode

1 minute ago, frodr said:

Will unRaid 6.7 recognise ssd`s connected to this HBA?

Yes.

1 minute ago, frodr said:

Will the ssd`s have to be reformatted after connected to the HBA to again be setup as cache drives?

No, but make sure HBA is using IT mode.

2 minutes ago, frodr said:

Can I just set Shares cache settings from "Prefer/Only" to "No" and run "Move", and then be able to remove the ssd cache drives and the Server run as is?

Set to cache "Yes" then run the mover.

P.S: LSI requires SSDs with read zero after trim or trim won't work.

Thanks for quick reply. 

3) Let med clarify. I plan to move all cache share to hdd in case of need to format, change, or other to the current ssd cache drives.. When doing this move I should set Shares cache setting to "No" and run "Move". Right? 

And when the ssd cache drives are up and running connected to the HBA I set Shares cache setting to "Prefer" and run "Move" again.

Edited by frodr
3 minutes ago, frodr said:

Thanks for quick reply. 

3) Let med clarify. I plan to move all cache share to hdd in case of need to format, change, or other to the current ssd cache drives.. When doing this move I should set Shares cache setting to "No" and run "Move". Right?

No.    You need to set the setting to “Yes”.     Turn on the Help in the GUI to see why.    You should also disable the docker and VM services before running mover as open files will not be moved.

6 minutes ago, itimpi said:

No.    You need to set the setting to “Yes”.     Turn on the Help in the GUI to see why.    You should also disable the docker and VM services before running mover as open files will not be moved.

I see. Thanks.

On 5/26/2019 at 9:00 AM, johnnie.black said:

IT mode is Initiator Target mode, no RAID, if it's a genuine LSI 9300-8i it should already be in IT mode, you can check during boot if there's a bios installed, alternatively post the diagnostics with the HBA installed.

Thanks. I did not do anything and it works fine.