Cache question

Hello,

I have two SSDs setup as a cache pool. Total size shows about 200 GB. The mover is set to default overnight. The share is set to Yes for cache disk.

Ran into an issue where I was copying files to the share and got error saying out of space. The array has 4TB capacity and I'm moving a few hundred GB right now. 

How does the cache work in this setup? Will it automatically move data to the array when full or only overnight as scheduled?

For now, I've set the share to No for cache disk.

Thanks.

mover will only move data when it runs at its scheduled time.    You can install the Mover Tuning plugin to get finer grained control over when mover runs.

The other thing you should do is make sure that the the Minimum Free Space setting under Settings->Global Share Settings is set to be larger than the biggest file you expect to write.    When the free space on the cache drops below that value Unraid will automatically stop trying to write new files to cache, and will start bypassing cache and writing directly to the array until space is freed up on the cache drive.

Edited by itimpi
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, itlists said:

BTW, even with share set to No for cache disk, I got the same error no space left on device. Puzzling... 

You should probably post your diagnostics.  But, it should be noted that Split Level overrides everything.  Is one of your drives basically full?