Replaced faulty drive - Unmountable: No file system

Hello,

I recently had a bad drive in my unraid server, so I bought a replacement and set it off to rebuild the array. When I checked if it was finished it shows Unmountable: No file system. I ran the preclear plugin before adding it.

image.thumb.png.7e2eb8b44e36e7dd9ba43457d7a08a7d.png

Im unsure why a brand new drive that was just added into the array would have no file system?

I've stopped/started the array and restarted the server with no luck.

Any ideas?

unraid-diagnostics-20190525-1159.zip

If I run a btrfs check using the GUI it says

parent transid verify failed on 1477954420736 wanted 175092 found 1569
    parent transid verify failed on 1477954420736 wanted 175092 found 1569
    Ignoring transid failure
    Couldn't setup extent tree
    ERROR: cannot open file system

1 minute ago, bort said:

so this doesn't seem...normal?

No, either parity was out of sync or filesystem got corrupted when it switched to the emulated disk, small corruption when Unraid disables a disk and switches to the emulated one has been known to happen in some cases.

You'll need to try and recover the data using the old disk and/or the btrfs recovery tools linked above, then format it.

So I stopped the array and removed the unmountable disk, and the emulated contents are still there and look to be fine. How can I ensure that if I do another rebuild, it rebuilds correctly? Im kinda unsure what to do if everytime I rebuild onto the new disk it will fail?

Edited by bort
5 minutes ago, bort said:

So I stopped the array and removed the unmountable disk, and the emulated contents are still there and look to be fine

You're leaving some info out or something else is going on, rebuilt disk and emulated disk should have exactly the same contents.

Start another rebuild and the disk should mount immediately, if it doesn't post new diags.

Yeah im not sure either. Would it be an issue if the faulty drive is 3TB and the new drive is 4TB?

I can even mount the new 4TB drive in unraid now that its not attached to the array and the contents are browseable.

image.thumb.png.d923bc15fa2ce851c5a26eab792f1e92.png

image.thumb.png.7ebd8d11dc69075e536f851999880796.png