Anyone running SteamOS?

I've tried to set it up myself, but haven't had much luck. Just wondering about other peoples experiences and if anyone can give me any tips.

The main issue that I have is that after it installs after the first reboot is that it gets stuck and only a black screen with lines is seen, sometimes it gets stuck on the grub menu. When I changed VNC drivers there was a black screen with a big mouse like others have reported.

Tried changing the bios, though that didn't do much.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Ahh that may be the difference - dedicated GPU.

What happens with me, is that i can see everything on the console up until it gets to the desktop. At the desktop it appears to download a 350 mb update and at the conclusion of the update it reboots and is never seen again. Just a blank screen with an enlarged mouse cursor. 

However, steamos specifically states that it supports intel gpu.. so theoretically it should work, 

• 2 months later...

I'm running a i7-4970 on a Asus Z87-A with 24GB RAM and a GTX970.

I have a W10 VM running with dedicated GPU.

I'm unable to install a VM with SteamOS. I stop my W10 and use the same settings...

When the installer ISO boots it gives me a menu, I can select any of them.

Then I get a black screen on top of most of the screen. Nothing more happens.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/10/2019 at 10:35 AM, Cirion said:

I'm running a i7-4970 on a Asus Z87-A with 24GB RAM and a GTX970.

I have a W10 VM running with dedicated GPU.

I'm unable to install a VM with SteamOS. I stop my W10 and use the same settings...

When the installer ISO boots it gives me a menu, I can select any of them.

Then I get a black screen on top of most of the screen. Nothing more happens.

I have same issue. Using threadripper and gtx980ti. Downloaded steamos file from http://repo.steampowered.com/download/

Are all you you guys with issues possibly trying to run this with a single video card installed IE Unraid in a Headless mode. Dedicating your one GPU to the SteamOS? If so. Are yall all remembering to use a known good Video bios? The issues many of you are describing sounds very similar to what happens when you attempt to do the same with a windows installation. Windows installs/loads fine without a good video bios, but goes to crap right after installation of video drivers. Which is what it sounds like SteamOS might be doing shortly after its install.

Edited by metathias
1 hour ago, metathias said:

Are all you you guys with issues possibly trying to run this with a single video card installed IE Unraid in a Headless mode. Dedicating your one GPU to the SteamOS? If so. Are yall all remembering to use a known good Video bios? The issues many of you are describing sounds very similar to what happens when you attempt to do the same with a windows installation. Windows installs/loads fine without a good video bios, but goes to crap right after installation of video drivers. Which is what it sounds like SteamOS might be doing shortly after its install.

Yes, using an actual bios dump from my video card with header removed. Same bios being used in Windows 10 vm that works just fine. Yes the Windows 10 vm is not running if you are thinking that.

• 5 months later...
  1. Installed just fine.
  2. Was able to get the "Big Mouse" issue.
  3. Tried GPU pass-through with an Nvidia GTX 1060 with GPU bios dump = no such luck.
  4. With the GPU pass-through, the screen would flicker and then the display would display correctly with the OS trying to recover from a system crash.
  5. System would reboot into the system and then crash all over again into a boot loop.
  6. I run my VM's headless. But from these videos, we'll have better luck installing Ubuntu 18.04 LTS and then install the Steam client in there. Linus Tech Tips | Craft Computing
  7. Also those that run headless, not sure what clients you are using, but Parsec supports Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. That's something I want to test when I come back to this side project.
  • 2 years later...