Upgrading / Replacing Hard Drives & UDMA_CRC_ERROR_COUNT

Hey Folks,

I'm slightly above novice level but by no means an expert. I'm just dangerous enough to break stuff :-). Trying to figure out how to troubleshoot this/what's going on. Skip to the end for the direct question.

In any event, I had an array with the following hard drive components:

Parity - 4tb

Drives 1,2,3 - 2 tb each

Drives 4,5 - 4 tb each.

I bought two WD Red 8TB drives to give me more capacity.

When i started this process - all 6 of my drives passed the SMART report (aka all were green). So here's the timeline of what I did and what happened.

1) Pulled out Parity drive and inserted one of the 8TB. Started 3 cycle pre-clear.

2) SMART Report shows errors with Drives 4 & 5 - UDMA CRC Error reports for both.

3) Read somewhere that you could preclear two drives at one time. Pulled out Drive 4 and replaced with second 8 TB drive. Started pre-clear, got a bunch of UDMA CRC Error reports.

4) Read some more and found that lots of people saw errors with perfectly good drives when trying to preclear 2 drives at the same time. Stop preclear on the 2nd drive and re-inserted drive 4.

5) Finished preclear on "new" parity drive. Put it into rotation and it completed the rebuild operation without any problems.

6) Took my old parity drive and replaced drive 3 with it. Rebuilt without a problem.

7) Pulled out drive 1 and replaced with second 8 TB WD Red. Started pre-clear operation, told it to abandon the previous pre-clear and start new. Immediately provided a warning about UDMA errors. However, the "main" tab shows it as in the pre-read stage and moving along (slowly but moving along nonetheless). The text in the unassigned devices area is green.

The preclear on the first 8 TB took about 6 days, so wanting to head this off at the start rather than wait another week to find out i've screwed something up.

So bottom line - do I continue to let the pre-clear on the second 8 TB drive run or is it obviously bunk? I'm wondering if it's not suggesting there are errors because I already tried to preclear it when another preclear was going on? Moreover, because the original drives 4 & 5 were newer than Drives 1,2,3 and because drives 4&5 passed the preclear (albeit a few years back), AND b/c I *think* the UDMA errors relate to communication - how do I confirm that the problem is with the drives and not with the OS or the cables? Other potentially relevant information: I have had some issues with disk permissions and such in the past - whereby plugins wouldn't update and couldn't be deleted and my deluge docker suddenly stopped working. When I updated to 6.7, the plugin updating issue resolved itself. I have not started the array since then to be able to learn more about my docker issue. Attached are what I hope are all the relevant screenshots.

disk log.png

preclear.png

disk5.png

disk 4.png

Main.png