SuperMicro 4U (24Bay) Case

Hello All, 

I hoping I could get some help. I am eyeballing a Supermicro 4U 24 Bay Barebone chassis W/ SAS846EL2 2x PWS-902-1R, and I am hoping to replace my eight year old Norco 4220 case. Can I put an ATX Mobo in it? Looking to put a Threadripper in it. 

Also, what controller can I use for this chasis if I can use it with an ATX board. Thanks for all the help in advance!

Hello All, 

I finally made a choice and have this chassis coming:

Supermicro SuperChassis 846E16-R1200B

Lsi 9210-8i (Flashed to IT Mode)

BPN-SAS2-846EL1 GENERIC STATIC RAILS INCLUDED

I haven't decided on a mobo yet. I have a ThreadRipper that I solely use for Video Encoding. I read that UnRaid allows you to install Handbrake and encode. I believe I would get more use out of the ThreadRipper if I could just use that in the server. 

What are your thoughts, in regards to wiring, is there any proprietary wiring by SuperMicro? Are there adapters I could use on the threadripper mobo?

I appreciate your help in advance. 

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

I'm pretty sure it still supports dual link, just connect the HBA to J0 and J1

When I read the menu, also unbelievable will be true from Supermicro. It may be confuse as SAS2-846EL2 have dual JO and J1.

Edited by Benson

I appreciate all the responses, I am getting the case and card from the Server Store. The gentleman there was a great help and told me that card was all I needed as he flashed it already to IT mode. All the comments above have confused me now though. Do I need something else now to run all 24 drives?

Regarding the Heatsink for the Threadripper, I have to see how much space I have once I put that mobo in, but I was thinking of using one of the Noctua ones. My question, though is do I need additional cables for any proprietary cabling the chassis has?

I again am grateful to you all. 

8 hours ago, gyrene2083 said:

do I need additional cables for any proprietary cabling the chassis

You need two SFF8087 cable to connect the HBA with backplate.

12 hours ago, gyrene2083 said:

I haven't decided on a mobo yet.

You need care which mainboard support LSI HBA, many report TR mainboard sick with LSI HBA at booting ( other platform also but seems less complaint ) , most recommend Asus Zenith Extreme X399 , but this too expensive.

8 hours ago, gyrene2083 said:

All the comments above have confused me now though.

Mostly because the menu haven't clearly said support dual link or not, as ashman70 said you could further check with Supermicro support.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/25/2019 at 6:36 PM, gyrene2083 said:

I hoping I could get some help. I am eyeballing a Supermicro 4U 24 Bay Barebone chassis W/ SAS846EL2 2x PWS-902-1R, and I am hoping to replace my eight year old Norco 4220 case. Can I put an ATX Mobo in it? Looking to put a Threadripper in it. 

When buying a Supermicro make sure you get a  SAS2 backplane ... which yours has. Also, the EL2 model means it has dual port capabilities (i.e. 2 x SFF-8077 connectors), giving it a lot of bandwidth.  You can connect either 1 cable to the card, 2 cables for double the bandwidth, or 2 cables to do different cards, cascade the controller to a real external port. Check the manual for different connectivity options. EL1 may or may not support dual link - people on the FreeNAS forums say it does unofficially.

Also, make sure all the trays come with the chassis - they can add up quick. Also, that both PSUs work correctly. Lastly, you may want to get a 1 to 8 PWM fan hub to connect the 7 chassis fan to the motherboard fan header so that you can control the speed/sound of the server. If you have the fans hooked up  to the SAS expander, they run at full speed and are NOISY.

Yes, the 4U SuperMicros can fit a standard ATX motherboard, you'll need a special chassis control panel to I/O port breakout cable (it's about $20 on Amazon/eBay) if you're not using a SuperMicro motherboard.

Edited by coolspot
  • Like 2

@coolspot, thanks for your input. I got the case and it has all the bays, and a bunch of screws, which is always a plus. I am using a non-Supermicro board. I have looked for this chassis cable but can't seem to find it. Would you happen to have a link by any chance?

Actually is it this cable? - Supermicro CBL084L Front Panel Connector 6" - CBL-0084L (this is what I purchased along with 1ST PC CORP. CB-E8-P68F 8" 8-pin EPS to PCIE 6+2pin, for my Nvidia card)

I also bought 2x Supermicro 920 Watt PWS-920P-SQ 80 Plus Platinum Switching Power Supply

I am swapping all the fans with Noctua Industrial fans. I have 2 4 port PWM hubs for these fans. I'll post more as I am working on it.

Edited by gyrene2083
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...

As someone who just ordered a Supermicro 4U (My listing specifically mentions unRAID in the title though)

How has your experience been so far? I'm thinking about swapping the motherboard is comes with one I have as a secondary gaming computer.

Built it for the living room originally but low and behold no one uses it. The board in it has a dual socket xeon setup 12 cores. But I have an 1800x I can slap in it if I can see how difficult it is to put a standard mATX motherboard in it.