Looking For Low Power Consumption UnRAID Backup Solution

I used to have a backup solution with Crash Plan.  I haven't restored my remote backup setup since they gave up on regular people and went with the business folk only.  I've been shopping around for some years, but the cost per month for my needs are a bit too high.  (Amazon banning rsync didn't help...)  I'm looking now to host my own remote backup solution, but I don't want my remote host to incur extreme maintenance costs in power.  I've been looking around for a SATA compatible extreme low cost board and found the Helios4 which is about the same cost to purchase as what I would pay per year to store the data.

Sadly, I can't find any information if the Helios4 board is compatible with UnRAID or if anyone has experience with this.  I figure the best option for backing up UnRAID is to have another UnRAID to store a subset of data.  I'm pretty sure I would have encryption enabled for security.  I would likely run a small number of features on this server, but not too much as to avoid exceeding the small amount of RAM available.  I plan to give 50% of the storage space available to the host for kindly allowing me remote backup so they can stop using flash drives to backup their photos which is a bad option.  I may in turn also setup remote backup for this person at my location so they also have a proper backup solution in place.

Ideas or alternatives to the Helios4 option?  Remember, I'm looking for an extreme low power option with little to no noise.  If it can be passive cooling that would be a plus, but not essential.

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent!  That's exactly the news I wanted to hear!  I'm not looking for anything with large power draws.  I ended up getting a ASRock J3455-ITX which is easy to miss the omitted "B" in the model.  This unit features 4x SATA instead of 2x, but with a loss of 0.2 GHz which doesn't bother me.

On 6/15/2019 at 4:39 AM, Sn3akyP3t3 said:

@pappaq are you by chance using DDR4-2666 SODIMM for RAM and using 16 GB?  The specs on the ASRock J4105 say one thing, but users say capacity is actually 16 GB RAM and Crucial.com says that its ok with DDR4-2666 SODIMM.  So weird!

Sorry for reading this so late... the J4105 is pretty picky when it comes to RAM. I tried like 3 kits until I found a working one. Try this: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00S51XHUQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 it works as the 8GB kit and the 16GB kit.

P.S. I didn't take the J3455 because the CPU generation is older and I wanted an iGPU that is able to encode AND decode x265.

Edited by pappaq