Reboot and now I have "Write Cache is disabled on disk4 5 & 6" hdparm does nothing!

On reboot today I was alerted by FCP that three of my disks have "Write Cache is disabled" errors:

Write Cache is disabled on disk4	You may experience slow read/writes to disk4. Write Cache should be enabled for better results. Post your diagnostics for other users to confirm this test and advise. NOTE: If this drive is connected to your server via USB, then this test and the fix may or may not work / be accurate as USB support for smartctl and hdparm is hit and miss	
Write Cache is disabled on disk5	You may experience slow read/writes to disk5. Write Cache should be enabled for better results. Post your diagnostics for other users to confirm this test and advise. NOTE: If this drive is connected to your server via USB, then this test and the fix may or may not work / be accurate as USB support for smartctl and hdparm is hit and miss	
Write Cache is disabled on disk6	You may experience slow read/writes to disk6. Write Cache should be enabled for better results. Post your diagnostics for other users to confirm this test and advise. NOTE: If this drive is connected to your server via USB, then this test and the fix may or may not work / be accurate as USB support for smartctl and hdparm is hit and miss

I ran a check on disk4:

hdparm -W /dev/sdl

/dev/sdl:
 write-caching =  0 (off)

then:

sudo hdparm -W1 /dev/sdl

/dev/sdl:
 setting drive write-caching to 1 (on)
 write-caching =  0 (off)

Seems like I can't set it to "on". Should I be concerned about the drives?

server-diagnostics-20190528-0256.zip

14 minutes ago, DelSol said:

Same here, after a reboot all 4 of my disks have disabled caches.

any information on this?

Other than the fact that this is a new test only recently added to so may not be new condition.    The real important point at the moment is whether you have suddenly seen performance badly decrease.

• Like 1