Red X - bad cable, what to do in 6.7?

So, I've had a red x on a drive before, while running with dual parity drives.  Usually just a cabling issue... wiggle the SATA cables and back in business.

I would simply stop the array, unassign the drive, start the array, stop again, and reassign, and then start.

However, is doing this with 6.7 different now?

I stopped the array, unassigned the drive, and started the array again.  Now it is rebuilding the parity which will take serveral days.  So I now need to wait to add back in the drive?  I don't recall older versions of UnRAID doing this.  Before, I was able to stop the array, and then assigned the drive back in, and start the array again.

Unfortunately, I find the online manual pretty much useless...

3 hours ago, DarkHorse said:

This technique discussed here is no longer valid in UnRAID 6.7?

Stop the array

Set the disk to be not installed

Start the array

Stop the array

Set the disk to be the appropriate disk

Start the array

Just tried this on my test server running 6.7 and it worked exactly as expected!

There must have been something else going on at the time in your case.

Edited by itimpi
10 hours ago, DarkHorse said:

I stopped the array, unassigned the drive, and started the array again.  Now it is rebuilding the parity which will take serveral days.  So I now need to wait to add back in the drive?

If it is rebuilding parity without the removed drive, the data on that drive is no longer being emulated, and you will lose any changes that were made to the emulated drive. Additionally, if you add the drive back to an array with fully synced parity, the added drive will be completely and irreversibly erased with all zeros to allow it to be added to the array without recalculating parity.

If you wish to try to save the data that is on the removed disk, I think you need to post a screenshot of the Main page in the webGUI, and a copy of the diagnostics zip file from the Tools page, so we can see exactly what state you are currently in.

So, the drive has been unassigned, is being emulated, and a parity-check is currently in progress, 3 hrs to go.   I'm still able to access my shares and data.

To the best of my memory, here is exactly what I did:

1. stopped the array

2. unassigned the drive

3. started the array.  The system immediately  began doing a parity check upon starting the array

4. I used the GUI button to "Cancel" the parity check.  Without canceling, the "Stop" array button was not active.

5. After canceling the parity check, I was then able to click the "Stop" button to stop the array.  Unfortunately, it hung trying to unmount shares.  I waited and waited with no progress. I had to hit the physical server reset button to reboot.

6. after system reboot, the array came back up, unassigned drive still in emulated state, services and data running fine, parity check began to run again.  Is currently 80% done.

I really appreciate any advice you guys have.  My UnRAID server has been rock solid, except for the "cable" issue that happens every 4 months or so.  I really need to invest in some better gold plated SATA cables.

Anyway, as requested, here is a zip of my diagnostics... and some screen shots of my main page.

Until I figure out what is going on, I've cancelled the current parity check before it finished.  Things are still running fine with the drive in an emulated state. Going to do some backups to a spare drive.

Thanks.

main_bottom.png

main_top.png

brownbear-diagnostics-20190529-1304.zip

Edited by DarkHorse

A short follow up: so, after making sure I had things backed up, I stopped the arrary.  Previously, this would just hang trying to unshare folders.  This time, however, the array stopped.  I then reassigned my drive back into the array, and it rebuilt the drive from parity.  Everything appears to be fine now.