Could unbalanced / rsync be knocking out my parity drives?

Over the last few weeks, I've 'lost' one of my parity drives on 3 occasions (not always the same drive). I get a 'Parity1 Disabled' error.

On each occasion I ran extended SMART reports, and couldn't find any issues. I've swapped out power, data cables etc, but never found the cause and on each occasion I ended up re-formatting and re-adding the parity drive.

The 2 parity drives are connected to different controller cards (I have 3xH200's), and different power outputs from the PSU.

I do have 2 new WD 'Red' drives onorder to replace both parity drives which are currently Seagate Archive drives (ST8000AS0002, which I understand are SMR drives?). But it's bugging me why the parity drives keep getting kicked out. It then occurred to me that on all 3 occasions I had been running Unbalanced to shift data between disks as I go through applying XFS Encryption to each of the 18 array disks.

Could the combination of shifting data between disks, and the less-than-ideal SMR drives being used for Parity have something to do with this? Or is it simply the fact that the law of probability means I'm more likely to encounter such an issue during this type of activity?