what is the standard way to create a media disk

I currently just have unRAID set up with a single disk (I will set up a parity disk as well but Im just trying to understand the basics) so this disk is already being used to store appdata/systemdata/domains and Ios but it is a 1TB disk so plenty of room to store user data.

So I want to create a /media folder/partition that is visible to my other computers on network , what is the reccomended way to do this ?

It seems there are disk shares, but his wouldnt be able to show only a /media folder and there are usershares but these could spread over multiple disks, is usershare what Im meant to use, is the idea that an unRAID system just looks like one massive disk from other systems so user doesnt really worry about what disk the data is shared on ?

I just tried to create a user share, I gave it a name Music  and specified to include Disk 1, and that was it. But the result seems to be that appdata/systemdata/domains are no longer listed as user shares, and nor is the share I just created !

What did I do wrong ?

Edited by Paul Taylor

Not sure what has happened :)  If you can not figure it out then post the system diagnostics zip file (obtained via Tools->Diagnostics) to see if someone else can spot what might be wrong.

Have you checked that User Shares are enabled under Settings->Global Share Settings?   Leave the included/excluded fields blank at this stage as being more convenient. 

You do not need to specify included disks ender a share's settings unless you want to limit the share to just those disks

They were enabled (seems to be the default).

Anyway I have got it working in a roundabout way. I mounted my disk share to Windows, create a folder on Windows, then the folder shows as a user share in unRAID, I can then drop disk share and make user share available to Windows. Put in down to user error, but are there any easy tutorials on achieving these simple tasks that I expect many users want to do. I can see unRAID is very powerful but its a bit daunting to start with, there no real guidance on what do within the application itself.

Edited by Paul Taylor

I would try toggling the option to use User Shares under Settings->Global Share stings off and then on to ensure it is enabled correctly.

How much use have you made of the Help built into the GUI?  it should help when you want to know more about any setting.  Also what about the online manual (linked on right end of status bar)?

Edited by itimpi

The user shares are simply the top level folders on array and cache. If you create a user share, unraid will create top level folders on array and cache as needed according to the settings you make for the user share.

If you create a top level folder on array or cache disk, then it is automatically a user share with default settings. This is the "workaround" you used, but it isn't necessary or the usual way to get this done.

I don't know what may have gone wrong with your attempt to do it the usual way.