[Upate: server down] Server rebooted, no idea why. Where can I look?

Hi all,

My server rebooted at some point between last night and this afternoon, cause unknown. 

I have diags attached, but I doubt they'll be much help considering there's nothing from before the reboot.

I remember a request being made for unRAID to be its own logging server, but unless I'm mistaken this hasn't been implemented yet?

It's an extremely humid, and pretty hot day here, so it could have just been a thermal shutdown, but it would be nice to have an idea as to the cause.

Any help would be great.

server-diagnostics-20190530-1605.zip

Edited by -Daedalus
  • 2 weeks later...

Happened again.

This time, I can't start the array without the server rebooting within a few seconds.

I can start it in maintenance mode, but I'm not sure where the logs would be. 

The system was set to log the syslog to /mnt/user/logs, but obviously I can't get there in maintenance mode.

There is a syslog in /boot/logs, but it doesn't look like there's much there, attached anyway.

Anyone able to offer advice on where to look for logs during the crash?

logs.log

1 hour ago, -Daedalus said:

This time, I can't start the array without the server rebooting within a few seconds.

This could also be a PS issue.  Are the drives all spun down before you are trying to start the array?  Spinning up all of the drives at the same time (which Unraid does when doing several different operations) results a large current spike on the +12V buss.  If the surge is larger than the max current spec, the supply will shut itself down. 

Nope, they're all spinning. I've been running this same hardware for a few months now and haven't had issues previously. 

Also, the array starts fine in maintenance mode, with the disks unmounted, so I don't think it's a power issue. 

Edit: 4U systems are bloody heavy... After some hardware troubleshooting, looks like I've either got two defective DIMM slots, or an issues with the CPU's IMC. Doesn't seem to be an OS issue after all!

Edited by -Daedalus