Support USB Ethernet Dongle?

Is there any type of support for USB Ethernet dongles in UnRaid? If so how can I get one to work? Is there any particular brand/model that is supported? I have a USB Ethernet dongle that I plugged into my UnRaid server and it doesn't seem to recognize it or see it, even after completely powering down the server and then powering back up.

Backstory as to why I need this. I am using UnRaid to run a Plex server. Before going with UnRaid, as a proof of concept I tested Plex out in Windows using an old gaming laptop that I had. The laptop had an Intel 1Gb wired NIC, my whole house is wired with Cat6, and my routers/switches all support 1Gb. One of my main requirements was being able to stream 4K movies on the local network using Direct Play with no transcoding. The two main reasons for not wanting transcoding were that I wanted to maintain originally quality and my old gaming laptop was not up to transcoding 4K content. In this configuration it worked perfectly and I was able to stream 4K movies to both an Amazon Fire Cube and Xbox Ones using Direct Play with no transcoding.

Once I tested out Plex and saw what I liked on the Windows PC, I decided to build a new Plex server and go with UnRaid server so that I could have resiliency in case on of my hard drives died. I set up the UnRaid server but on a different old gaming laptop. The gaming laptop had similar specs as the first one I used and was actually a bit newer model PC. I have an external 4 bay hard drive enclosure connected to the laptop via eSata. I got everything working, both from the UnRaid side and the Plex side. I had this set up for a few weeks when I noticed that for my 4K movies it was actually pulling down the 1080p version instead of the 4K version of the movie (I have both 4K and 1080p copies for most of my content). When I tried to play content that just had a 4K version, the Plex server would try to start transcode and would essentially choke because it was just not up to transcoding the 4K stream.

I knew my network was capable of streaming the 4K content via direct play based on my tests with the Windows Plex server, so I knew the network or the clients were not the problem. To double check, I went back to my Windows Plex server which I still had up and it was still able to stream 4K content via Direct Play. Both of my old gaming laptops are connected to the same exact switch. From there I determined that the problem has to be somewhere with the networking on the UnRaid server. I took a look at the network card on the UnRaid server and discovered it was a RealTek NIC. I have not had great experience with RealTek NICs and from what I hear they are on the cheap end of NIC cards so I suspect this may be where the problem is.

To try and test my theory, I plugged in a USB NIC dongle that I have to see if performance would be any better. However I cannot seem to get UnRaid to see the dongle. If I can get the dongle to work and it resolves the problem, then I will probably just leave that dongle plugged in. My other option is to "rebuild" the UnRaid server on my other gaming laptop where I am currently running Windows that has the better Intel NIC. This won't be as straight forward as just moving the UnRaid USB boot drive and my external hard drive enclosure because I am also utilizing two internal SSD drives hard drives as cache drives. If I can get the USB dongle to work and if it resolves the problem that will be a much easier solution then trying to move everything over to the other laptop.

FYI I am trying to keep costs down which is why I am using the old gaming laptops. They are pretty good laptops (high end for their day) and I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars to buy and build a new PC when I already have capable hardware to do the job (minus what appears to be a crappy NIC card).

There are single port Intel NIC cards available starting as a modest cost and going up as the number of ports increase.  There are many folks with Unraid servers who have installed them to get around onboard (often RealTek) Nic chips.  See here for an one of those entry level cards:

https://www.amazon.com/Intel-PRO-1000-Server-Adapter/dp/B000BMVM6S/ref=sr_1_14?crid=2MY6EN2HA3GQZ&keywords=intel+nic+card&qid=1559246356&s=gateway&sprefix=Intel+NIC%2Caps%2C142&sr=8-14

You can find a lot more cards on Amazon by searching for    Intel NIC cards 

Remember this is a laptop so I cannot add in NIC cards or else that is definitely what I would have done. The laptop does not even have one of those cardbus slots so those type of cards are also not an option. I have USB 3, Firewire, and eSata ports. Obviously a USB NIC dongle would be the easiest solution.

Edited by Rojma

I am no expert on Plex but it is a CPU hog.   The rule of thumb is that you need 2000 Passmarks of CPU power to transcode a 1080 video stream!  I cannot imagine what the Passmark requirement is to do a 4K video stream.  

One thing I cannot figure out from your post is the exact setup that you have.  (1) Are you running a Plex Docker on the Unraid server to do the transcoding or (2) do you have a Unraid server that is passing a raw 4K data stream to another computer which is the Plex server?  One major problem with most laptops is that the thermodynamic designs are terrible and most of them can quickly overheat under high CPU loads and reduce the CPU frequency to control the temperature. 

I am not doing any transcoding with Plex, or let me rephrase and say that Plex shouldn't be doing any transcoding. I am using Plex strictly for internal use at my home. In this scenario as long as you have the bandwidth to stream the original source, which I do in my network as proven with my tests of Plex running on my Windows PC, Plex will not transcode. Instead Plex will stream the original content, in this case 4K content, untouched using something called Direct Play. As long as Plex does not have to transcode, then the CPU usage is minimal and my oldish laptops work just fine for that. The problem comes in that for whatever reason when I try to stream 4K content from my laptop with the RealTek NIC, the clients do not think there is enough bandwidth and they request the Plex server to transcode to lower quality. I really think that this is a problem with the RealTek NIC since the Intel NIC works just fine. Ultimately I wanted to test with the USB NIC to see if the problem did go away which would ultimately prove that the RealTek NIC was the problem.

Regarding running Plex, yes I am running Plex via a Docker container in UnRaid.

Is there any type of support for USB Ethernet dongles in UnRaid? If so how can I get one to work? Is there any particular brand/model that is supported? I have a USB Ethernet dongle that I plugged into my UnRaid server and it doesn't seem to recognize it or see it, even after completely powering down the server and then powering back up.

Backstory as to why I need this. I am using UnRaid to run a Plex server. Before going with UnRaid, as a proof of concept I tested Plex out in Windows using an old gaming laptop that I had. The laptop had an Intel 1Gb wired NIC, my whole house is wired with Cat6, and my routers/switches all support 1Gb. One of my main requirements was being able to stream 4K movies on the local network using Direct Play with no transcoding. The two main reasons for not wanting transcoding were that I wanted to maintain originally quality and my old gaming laptop was not up to transcoding 4K content. In this configuration it worked perfectly and I was able to stream 4K movies to both an Amazon Fire Cube and Xbox Ones using Direct Play with no transcoding.

Once I tested out Plex and saw what I liked on the Windows PC, I decided to build a new Plex server and go with UnRaid server so that I could have resiliency in case on of my hard drives died. I set up the UnRaid server but on a different old gaming laptop. The gaming laptop had similar specs as the first one I used and was actually a bit newer model PC. I have an external 4 bay hard drive enclosure connected to the laptop via eSata. I got everything working, both from the UnRaid side and the Plex side. I had this set up for a few weeks when I noticed that for my 4K movies it was actually pulling down the 1080p version instead of the 4K version of the movie (I have both 4K and 1080p copies for most of my content). When I tried to play content that just had a 4K version, the Plex server would try to start transcode and would essentially choke because it was just not up to transcoding the 4K stream.

I knew my network was capable of streaming the 4K content via direct play based on my tests with the Windows Plex server, so I knew the network or the clients were not the problem. To double check, I went back to my Windows Plex server which I still had up and it was still able to stream 4K content via Direct Play. Both of my old gaming laptops are connected to the same exact switch. From there I determined that the problem has to be somewhere with the networking on the UnRaid server. I took a look at the network card on the UnRaid server and discovered it was a RealTek NIC. I have not had great experience with RealTek NICs and from what I hear they are on the cheap end of NIC cards so I suspect this may be where the problem is.

To try and test my theory, I plugged in a USB NIC dongle that I have to see if performance would be any better. However I cannot seem to get UnRaid to see the dongle. If I can get the dongle to work and it resolves the problem, then I will probably just leave that dongle plugged in. My other option is to "rebuild" the UnRaid server on my other gaming laptop where I am currently running Windows that has the better Intel NIC. This won't be as straight forward as just moving the UnRaid USB boot drive and my external hard drive enclosure because I am also utilizing two internal SSD drives hard drives as cache drives. If I can get the USB dongle to work and if it resolves the problem that will be a much easier solution then trying to move everything over to the other laptop.

FYI I am trying to keep costs down which is why I am using the old gaming laptops. They are pretty good laptops (high end for their day) and I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars to buy and build a new PC when I already have capable hardware to do the job (minus what appears to be a crappy NIC card).
Get a quad Nic on ebay. Make sure your board supports the right PCI-e version. They are quite cheap. I bough this one and is working flawless with PCI-E 2.0

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F273857412402

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Guys I appreciate the help but please read over the posts. This is the second time someone recommends PCI NICs when I clearly state several times that I am using a laptop as my server. Again I appreciate the help but lets try to make suggestions that actually apply to my setup so that we cut down on the noise in the thread. Thanks.

Guys I appreciate the help but please read over the posts. This is the second time someone recommends PCI NICs when I clearly state several times that I am using a laptop as my server. Again I appreciate the help but lets try to make suggestions that actually apply to my setup so that we cut down on the noise in the thread. Thanks.
Sorry, I got lost reading your post.

Does Realtek run in 100Mbps, I don't think USB ( even worst if it just USB 2.0 ) ethernet would better then Realtek. 4K meadia should need 5MB/s ~6MB/s . Could you perform some file transfer test and see actual bandwdith/performance from that Realtek.

Even Plex not perform transcoding, it also use CPU power and we don't know the laptop spec.

I suspect problem not come from NIC, but not much idea.

Edited by Benson

I do know that RealTek NIC had problems with stalling in a earlier version of Unraid (back in 2015) when coupled with low power CPU's streaming 1080p content.   (Case in point was a AMD Sempron 140.)  This was a straight stream of a BluRay iso files to a dedicated settop box which mounted and played the iso.    LimeTech and I worked together on the issue and we definitely determined that it was the RealTek NIC driver that was bundled with Linux at the time.  (Apparently, RealTek is a really barebone operation and Linux is the ugly step-child...)  My solution at the time was the Intel network card which fixed the problem.  

@gacpac, I don't think that LimeTech is going to include the USB driver in Unraid.  You can make a feature request as there is a forum sub-section (Three boxes below this General Support sub-forum) to do this.  However, you have found that (apparently) Unraid is a solution that you can use.  If cost is a concern, look for a used 4-8 year old computer and use that for your Unraid server.  (You will soon not be happy with an single e-sata connection to your array HD's...)   My two setups (detailed in my signature) have a MB, CPU, memory cost in the $250-300 range and will be a more than adequate solution  (probably even PLEX-transcoding a single 4K stream) unless you want to run a VM.   A case and PS could  easily be less than $150.

I do know that RealTek NIC had problems with stalling in a earlier version of Unraid (back in 2015) when coupled with low power CPU's streaming 1080p content.   (Case in point was a AMD Sempron 140.)  This was a straight stream of a BluRay iso files to a dedicated settop box which mounted and played the iso.    LimeTech and I worked together on the issue and we definitely determined that it was the RealTek NIC driver that was bundled with Linux at the time.  (Apparently, RealTek is a really barebone operation and Linux is the ugly step-child...)  My solution at the time was the Intel network card which fixed the problem.  

[mention=83915]gacpac[/mention], I don't think that LimeTech is going to include the USB driver in Unraid.  You can make a feature request as there is a forum sub-section (Three boxes below this General Support sub-forum) to do this.  However, you have found that (apparently) Unraid is a solution that you can use.  If cost is a concern, look for a used 4-8 year old computer and use that for your Unraid server.  (You will soon not be happy with an single e-sata connection to your array HD's...)   My two setups (detailed in my signature) have a MB, CPU, memory cost in the $250-300 range and will be a more than adequate solution  (probably even PLEX-transcoding a single 4K stream) unless you want to run a VM.   A case and PS could  easily be less than $150.
@Rojma

The USB NIC dongle that I have is a USB 3 Gigabit NIC dongle and it is connected to a USB 3 port. Let's say theoretically it can't reach full Gigabit speeds, it should still be fast enough to handle straight streaming of the 4K content.

CPU is not an issue. When not transcoding Plex barely uses any CPU. While streaming other content via Direct Play (not transcoding) the CPU rarely goes over 5%. The CPU is either a 1st or 2nd generation Intel i7. Not the speediest by today's standards but also not a slow CPU. Probably a middle of the pack CPU by today's standards. It was top of the line back when I got the laptop.

I really do think the problem is with the RealTek NIC. The NIC is a Gigabit NIC. Some of the comments seem to confirm my suspicions that the RealTek driver is bare bones and probably not well maintained/written. Looking at the dashboard it is recognizing the RealTek NIC as a Gigabit NIC, full duplex, and MTU at 1500.

Hard drive speed also is not an issue through the single eSata port. For Plex streaming you do not need super fast hard drive speeds or transfers. In fact I purposely went with WD Red NAS 5400rpm drives to keep heat down in the external hard drive enclosure.

Ultimately if I need to I will move everything over to my other laptop that has the Intel NIC. It will take some work and I was hoping for an easier solution via a USB Ethernet dongle.

3 hours ago, Rojma said:

I really do think the problem is with the RealTek NIC. The NIC is a Gigabit NIC. Some of the comments seem to confirm my suspicions that the RealTek driver is bare bones and probably not well maintained/written. Looking at the dashboard it is recognizing the RealTek NIC as a Gigabit NIC, full duplex, and MTU at 1500.

Although Intel NICs are recommended I still would not expect a Realtek NIC to have problems  handling a single Gigabit LAN connection reliably.   I certainly have no problem on my servers with Realtek NICs built into the motherboards.

I can't think of another explanation. Being able to use the USB Ethernet dongle would confirm my theory one way or another, but unfortunately that doesn't seem possible. I may just need to move everything over to my other laptop and see what happens.

4 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

@gacpac, I don't think that LimeTech is going to include the USB driver in Unraid.  You can make a feature request as there is a forum sub-section (Three boxes below this General Support sub-forum) to do this.  However, you have found that (apparently) Unraid is a solution that you can use.  If cost is a concern, look for a used 4-8 year old computer and use that for your Unraid server.  (You will soon not be happy with an single e-sata connection to your array HD's...)   My two setups (detailed in my signature) have a MB, CPU, memory cost in the $250-300 range and will be a more than adequate solution  (probably even PLEX-transcoding a single 4K stream) unless you want to run a VM.   A case and PS could  easily be less than $150.

I think you did not read the message @Rojma 

I did read the message. I just do not want to spend the money right now especially after already having spent a few hundred dollars on the initial setup (hard drives and external enclosure). Wife is already not happy that I spent the few hundred dollars. I am not going to spend a few hundred more to get new hardware, especially when I have hardware that should be more than capable of doing what I need to do. My Windows proof of concept server worked so I know it works. I just need to figure out if the NIC is the issue in UnRaid and if not, then go from there.

• 4 months later...
23 minutes ago, philw said:

And it works a treat.

Good to know that one USB Ethernet dongle works. Perhaps this is the important part of its spec:

• Universal Compatibility: This RJ45 Adapter work with Mac OSX 10.6/10.7/10.8/10.9/10.10/10.11/10.12, Linux kernel 3.x/2.6, and Chrome OS, Windows 10/8.1/8/7/Vista/XP.

• 1 month later...
On 10/20/2019 at 10:26 PM, philw said:

I recently swapped out my PCI32 NIC for a USB 3 dongle, as I was getting conflicts on the PCI bus when adding an additional GPU :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07M91X2NW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And it works a treat.

Unraid 6.7.2

Xeon E3-1246v3 3.5GHz

Lenovo TS140 Mobo

32GB EEC DDR3

These are the specs of the chipset used: https://www.asix.com.tw/products.php?op=pItemdetail&PItemID=131;71;112