New Unraid machine

Diip

Greetings,

I've been running a NAS enclosure with some disks in it for some time now but I'm reaching a point where it isn't enough anymore. I need more disks and I'm generally not that happy with problems I've had with it and it's cooling is not that great either. I've been looking into other options and Unraid seems to check all the boxes so I'm going to try it out. For that I'm bulding a new system since I don't really have older hardware laying around.

I'll be using Unraid for pretty much as a media storage and have a couple of dockers for plex and a torrent client. I think that's pretty much it...

In terms of hardware I'm a bit lost but I was thinking of going with something like:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 2600
Motherboard: ASRock X470 Taichi

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB
PSU: Seasonic Focus+ 550W 80+ Gold

HDD: at the moment I have 2x HGST NAS 4TB drives and 2x WD Red 4TB drives

Cache Drive: Intel 660p

At the moment I have a 8TB RAID 1 with the 4 disks I've mentioned above and I'm starting to run low on disk space. Unraid will let me have 12TB of usable disk space while having one disk for parity so, for the moment, I think that config is good enough. One think that's always on my mind is - how many disks should I use for parity? Should I use two for peace of mind?

Thank you!

Edited by Diip
  • 1 month later...

Just built the following after massively outgrowing what a sensibly priced Synology would give me:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 2600
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450m DS3H

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB
PSU: Corsair CX650m

HDD: 8x 4TB HGST NAS (2x parity, 6x data, 24TB useable)

Cache Drive: Intel 800GB

Unassigned M.2: WD 240GB

Case: Fractal R5

Video card: Nvidia GT710 (just so the box boots headless)

Running dockers for Plex, Sab, Sonarr, Radarr, Krusader, Virt-manager. A few VMs on top of that as needed.

Went for dual parity as I've still got trust issues over how stroppy the Synology kit was with the HGST drives... it would regularly report errors and "failed" system partition (Synology OS only) when in fact the disks are pretty solid and error free on the whole.

Took a while staging everything across from Syno kit, as I built the new box with 1 parity and 3 data, then pulled the old drives and combined everything.

Sits in a locked cage where I can't hear it at all unless I need to work on it, and throws enough Plex streams at the family to keep everyone happy.

I've added a couple of Fractal F12 fans to what the case ships with (1 front as intake across the drive cage, 1 exhaust at top middle) and on the whole the drives aren't getting much beyond 32c in general use. I used the stock cooler on the CPU, and also put a few additional bits of gaffer tape over some of the case openings (top and front sides mainly) to give a more focused airflow through the case and have only the fans doing work.

That's pretty much it for me really... couldn't be happier with the build overall!

• Like 1