Parity check and then system hung

I recently swapped out my parity drive with a larger one and that went without much trouble and no errors. Yesterday the parity check started running on schedule and I checked on it from time to time to see progress and it seemed normal, albeit taking longer than usual. I chucked that up to going from a 4tb to 10tb drive.

This morning when I went to check again the dashboard said it finished with 0 errors, but parts of the dashboard data was missing, like running apps. I went to look under docker and nothing was coming up and the system was just acting funky so I rebooted it and it didn’t seem to go down or up gracefully. Ended up SSHing into it and rebooting from there.

It came up and then immediately started parity check again which I thought was odd so I stopped that and decided to check for OS updates just in case whatever that was was a bug and there was an update so did that. After coming back up I started parity check again since I don’t know what the hell just happened anyway.

I’ve run this system for many years without so much as a hiccup so I’m not sure what’s going on. One note, and this could be nothing, when I went to check on the initial parity check yesterday I noticed that the only drives spun up were parity and cache. I thought they all needed to be spun up for the check, but could be wrong there. Honestly can’t remember.

Another note, the new parity drive is connected via an addon SATA card and not to the MB ports like the previous one. I had a data drive connected to it previously and never had an issue, but thought I’d bring that up just in case it’s relevant.

So the system is currently running the parity check. Anything else I should be looking at doing here to find out what happened? Anyone see something like this before?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

22 minutes ago, acurcione said:

I noticed that the only drives spun up were parity and cache. I thought they all needed to be spun up for the check, but could be wrong there. Honestly can’t remember.

Each data drive will spin down on schedule after it has been completely parity checked.  If the Parity disk is the largest drive in the array, the parity will read all of the remaining sectors to verify that the parity disk does not an issue reading any sector.  

You might also check that you don't have any issues with your flash drive.  (When Unraid shuts down, it set a flag in a file if there is clean shutdown.  On restart if that flag is not set, a parity check will start automatically.)

What version of Unraid are you runnning?  With 6.7.0, there is a new built-in troubleshooting tool, to capture the syslog in cases like this.  You can find under    Settings   >>>   Syslog Server    Use 'Help' to figure out how to set it up.   

Each data drive will spin down on schedule after it has been completely parity checked.  If the Parity disk is the largest drive in the array, the parity will read all of the remaining sectors to verify that the parity disk does not an issue reading any sector.  

You might also check that you don't have any issues with your flash drive.  (When Unraid shuts down, it set a flag in a file if there is clean shutdown.  On restart if that flag is not set, a parity check will start automatically.)

What version of Unraid are you runnning?  With 6.7.0, there is a new built-in troubleshooting tool, to capture the syslog in cases like this.  You can find under    Settings   >>>   Syslog Server    Use 'Help' to figure out how to set it up.   

Ah. Ok. That explains why all the drives were spun down then. And yes, I’m now on 6.7.0. I’ll set that up and see what’s what.

As for the flash drive, how would I determine if it has an issue? The syslog as well?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro