(Solved) Mover Error

On 6/6/2019 at 6:20 PM, nickro8303 said:

Thanks for the help. I'm at my wit's end with these CRC errors. I've spent months trying to stop them. I'm ordering a WD SSD to see if that will resolve the issue.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I'm in the same boat as you! Tried at least 4 different cables of 2 different brands in total. Tried all ports on my motherboard. I have an AMD setup with Samsung 860 SSD. RMA'd the drive and the new one has the CRC errors as well.

On 6/10/2019 at 9:40 AM, nickro8303 said:

Looks like Samsung brand SSD was the issue, replaced it with a WD SSD and I'm not getting any more CRC errors. Thanks for the help guys.

I'd hate to have to change from the Samsung SSD but at this rate I might have to.

On 6/11/2019 at 12:52 AM, johnnie.black said:

Like mentioned the problem was likely not the SSD, but the cables you're using, since they are very picky with cable quality.

I know you are experienced and very helpful, so thank you. I think I should try 2 more cable brands before giving up on this brand of SSD.

Note: I've read a few posts about issues between Samsung SSDs and AMD board's SATA controller. I can likely acquire an LSI (or similar) PCIe 2-port SAS controller with the SAS-to-SATA breakout cables. Is it worth going through the effort of installing this in my build and trying the Samsung 860 SSD on that controller?

2 minutes ago, KR1SeS said:

I can likely acquire an LSI (or similar) PCIe 2-port SAS controller with the SAS-to-SATA breakout cables. Is it worth going through the effort of installing this in my build and trying the Samsung 860 SSD on that controller?

It might be worth a try, but note that trim will only work with SAS3 models like 9300-8i, etc.

• Upvote 1
15 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

It might be worth a try, but note that trim will only work with SAS3 models like 9300-8i, etc.

Excellent note. This is the only one I can get my hands on, can you tell me if trim will be supported?

• LSI SAS2008-8I SATA 9211-8i 6Gbps 8 Ports HBA PCI-E RAID Controller Card

If I can't use the trim plugin with my SSD on this controller than I won't even bother.

Just now, johnnie.black said:

No, currently trim won't work with any LSI SAS2

Well shoot. Thanks for letting me know and saving me some time! I'll try two more brands of SATA cables directly to my motherboard. If they don't work it looks like I have a 500GB Samsung 860 SSD as a coaster and have to purchase a different brand.

8 minutes ago, KR1SeS said:

Well shoot. Thanks for letting me know and saving me some time! I'll try two more brands of SATA cables directly to my motherboard. If they don't work it looks like I have a 500GB Samsung 860 SSD as a coaster and have to purchase a different brand.

You can try more sata cables but I can tell you you're wasting your time. I tried several brands and none of them stopped the errors. I replaced the Samsung SSD with WD and the errors stopped. So now I have a 1tb SSD I paid over $100 for working as coaster on my desk. I feel your pain.

Edited by nickro8303
  • Like 1
10 minutes ago, nickro8303 said:

You can try more sata cables but I can tell you you're wasting your time. I tried several brands and none of them stopped the errors. I replaced the Samsung SSD with WD and the errors stopped. So now I have a 1tb SSD I paid over $100 for working as coaster on my desk. I feel your pain.

Which WD did you get? I'm considering the Western Digital Blue 2.5" 500GB or 1TB SSD.

• 4 weeks later...