What kind of memory for 2950x? CL14 or CL16?

I just picked up a 1950x that I will be doing a build for. With TR4 being quad channel, I have read the G.Skill CL14 (Samsung B-Die) kits gives you the best performance and stability. That is probably the route I am going to take. With you having a 2nd gen, you should have even better memory support than I. But any major manf. should be fine really (luckily memory prices are dropping). 

This site should help if you haven't seen it already.

https://benzhaomin.github.io/bdiefinder/

On 6/4/2019 at 8:07 AM, AntaresUK said:

Hi guys

I have been reading up on what kind of memory to get for the 2950x and some people say get g.skill flare x cl14, others say it doesnt matter, others say get g.skill trident z cl16. For those that have a threadripper which memory did you buy?

Thanks

Do you really need to run RAM at speed where Samsung B Die matters?

I run a mix of 2666MHz and 2800MHz RAM at 2666MHz without even knowing the existence of "Samsung B-Die". I don't think any of my RAM stick is B-die (all 16 timing).

I actually think the best config for threadripper is to have all RAM slots populated- no matter the speed or latency.  I have done some testing with a 8x8 kit and a 4x16 kit with better results on the 8x8 with exact same speed and latency.  Anyone done any other testing that conflicts?

• 1 month later...