Slower network speeds on unraid

Hoping someone can help me figure this out.

Recently, I upgraded to 1gb/40mbps internet. 

On my desktop that is wired to the router, I'm getting consistent speedtest results of about 940 mbps. Even wifi devices are getting about 600 mbps. 

On my unraid server that is wired to the same router, I'm getting speedtest results (via the plugin) that vary from 400-780 mbps (and usenet maxes out at about 250 mbps). 

If I run "wget --output-document=/dev/null http://speedtest.wdc01.softlayer.com/downloads/test1000.zip", I consistently max out at about 720 mbps with an average of about 580 mbps. 

I've disabled all bonding/bridging, and I've tried using another 1gb intel ethernet pcie card with no change in results. 

Any thoughts on what's causing the performance hit to my unraid server? Should I try a 10gb pcie card to see if it resolves the issue? 

I'd like to get consistent 900+ mbps, and at least 500 mbps on usenet. 

10 hours ago, G Speed said:

Same issue... I average out around 55Mb/s :(
My win 10pc can do 92Mb/s

In firefox on unraid, speedtest.net.. I get 940mbps/940mbps
I have a 1.5gb fiber connection..

I was getting around 70Mb/s on unraid, but since 6.7 and previous beta's it's been slow

Interesting. I hadn't thought to try speedtest in a firefox container. I just tried it and got about 850 mbps. 

Close but not quite there. Also not clear why a successive speedtest to the same server using the unraid speedtest plugin got 790 mbps (and one right after that got 450). 

3 hours ago, notphilip said:

Interesting. I hadn't thought to try speedtest in a firefox container. I just tried it and got about 850 mbps. 

Close but not quite there. Also not clear why a successive speedtest to the same server using the unraid speedtest plugin got 790 mbps (and one right after that got 450). 

I figured it would have the lowest overhead/resources...

Edited by G Speed

I just tried rolling back to 6.67 to see if speeds are better on that version, but they were not. 

I also upgraded to a 1.25Gb NIC, and that got my speed up to 900-1050 mbps inside firefox using Xfinity's speedtest.

With speedtest.net inside firefox, I get 365 mbps. 

But the new NIC had no effect on the host speeds. 

Update: I just tried using an ubuntu live image on the same machine, and it also had slow speed test speeds (yet somehow fast xfinity speed test speeds).

I tried changing ethernet cables and ports on the router, but nothing changed.

So it doesn't look like this is an Unraid issue after all. It's a hardware issue of some sort. Not sure exactly what is wrong since the speeds are constrained via integrated and pcie gigabit network ports. I guess it's time for a new mobo, ram, and cpu? This setup is about 6 years old after all.

16 minutes ago, notphilip said:

Update: I just tried using an ubuntu live image on the same machine, and it also had slow speed test speeds (yet somehow fast xfinity speed test speeds).

I tried changing ethernet cables and ports on the router, but nothing changed.

So it doesn't look like this is an Unraid issue after all. It's a hardware issue of some sort. Not sure exactly what is wrong since the speeds are constrained via integrated and pcie gigabit network ports. I guess it's time for a new mobo, ram, and cpu? This setup is about 6 years old after all.

Could be a peering issue with the ISP "that's what I think my problem is".. I have an i5 from 2012.. that 8gb of ram that can pull 1gb...

Just now, G Speed said:

Could be a peering issue with the ISP "that's what I think my problem is".. I have an i5 from 2012.. that 8gb of ram that can pull 1gb...

I don’t think so. The desktop on the same network can pull 1gbps without any issues. WiFi devices are consistently getting 600mbps. So it’s specific to this server

4 minutes ago, notphilip said:

I don’t think so. The desktop on the same network can pull 1gbps without any issues. WiFi devices are consistently getting 600mbps. So it’s specific to this server

Those speed test don't mean much though... I was on 1gb/50mb up before and I could get 90mb/s with usenet.. I switched providers..
1.5gb/1gb.... I was getting 80mb/s.. now i'm around 60mb/s.. <-usenet

Edited by G Speed
Just now, G Speed said:

Those speed test don't mean much though... I was on 1gb/50mb up before and I could get 90mb/s with usenet.. I switched providers..
1.5gb/1gb.... I was getting 80mb/s.. now i'm around 60mb/s.. <-usenet

Usenet on the desktop is getting about 100 MB/s. On the Unraid server, it is getting about 25 MB/s. Both of which are reasonably consistent with the speed test results 

I’m having these exact same issues. It happened specifically when I upgraded to 6.7. Was getting ~800 Mb/s before the upgrade and am now getting 20-35 Mb/s. Both before and after the upgrade I’ve been using the Speedtest app from the community App Store. Have swapped out cables multiple times, and am seeing similar speeds from qbittorrent and sabnzbd containers. 

• Upvote 1
On 6/14/2019 at 7:18 AM, Chiliman said:

I’m having these exact same issues. It happened specifically when I upgraded to 6.7. Was getting ~800 Mb/s before the upgrade and am now getting 20-35 Mb/s. Both before and after the upgrade I’ve been using the Speedtest app from the community App Store. Have swapped out cables multiple times, and am seeing similar speeds from qbittorrent and sabnzbd containers. 

Same for me, ever since 6.7.0 my usenet speeds on the server avg at around 50-70MB a sec, when it used to be 90-110MB a sec. went back to 6.6.7 but the problem hasn't gone away.

• 1 month later...

So I ran sabnzbd on another computer running windows and pointed sonarr from unraid to it. Downloads instantly go to 100+MB/s. This just shows me it’s not my router or isp and definitely an issue with unraid. This doesn’t get much attention since not many people can relate unless they have unraid and gigabit internet connections.

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update, so I’m still having issues where my dockers share a 60MB limitation. They are all writing to a cache drive (nvme). If I create a new docker network and have sab use that, the next download will be at 100MB a sec but the next one right after goes back to that 60MB max. Not sure what’s forcing dockers to share this 60MB limitation.

I have this same exact issue. I'm running 6.6.6 and recently upgraded from a i7 desktop build to a R720xd server. On the i7 build I was consistently getting 90-100MB/s. I transferred everything to the new server and instantly started getting 20-60MB/s on the same gigabit internet. I've tried different cat5e/cat6 cables, different switch ports, and yesterday even installed a brand new intel pcie ethernet card. Still the same speeds. I have a R620 server right next to it with a windows VM and am getting gigabit speeds to that. This seems to be a problem with Unraid specifically and there are many unsolved posts on these forums and on Reddit about it. Hopefully someone can help us.

24 minutes ago, bucnast16 said:

I have this same exact issue... I transferred everything to the new server and instantly started getting 20-60MB/s

Impossible for us to say anything further about your specific issues without more details. Possibly it is not at all the same.

Go to Tools - Diagnostics and attach the complete diagnostics zip file to your next post. I may split your post and its responses into its own thread if appropriate.

58 minutes ago, bucnast16 said:

Appreciate your help!

Some things I notice that are likely unrelated.

Your syslog is filling with this over and over:

Aug 16 01:29:38 Tower root: error: /plugins/preclear.disk/Preclear.php: wrong csrf_token
Aug 16 01:29:38 Tower root: error: /plugins/unassigned.devices/UnassignedDevices.php: wrong csrf_token
### [PREVIOUS LINE REPEATED 2 TIMES] ###

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/46802-faq-for-unraid-v6/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-545988

Had you actually done a data transfer exhibiting the problem since you had last rebooted? If not then syslog would not contain any information about the transfers.

Your docker image is many times larger than necessary. I usually recommend 20G for docker image. You are already using 28G, though nowhere near the 150G you have allocated. You do have a lot of dockers, so it might be possible that you actually do need more than 20G, but often the reason someone has set their docker image so large is because they have been filling it up due to misconfigured applications. Your docker image shouldn't really grow much and if it is you have something setup wrong.

Now on to your complaint. You need to tell us more about the source and most especially the destination of the transfer.

Are you transferring to a cached user share, an uncached user share, directly to cache, directly to a disk in the parity array, directly to an Unassigned Device?

Do you get better speeds if you leave the network out of it and transfer between disks directly on the server using Krusader docker or from the terminal using mc (Midnight Commander) or a linux command?

- Yeah, I saw all the csrf stuff. Appreciate the link to help with that.

- My docker image once filled up with docker-child-images and I had to increase it and haven't looked into decreasing it yet.

- The lack of speed I'm seeing is with downloading from the internet. I'm downloading from my Sabnzbd docker image to the cache drive, the downloads share that is set to Prefer cache. I've tried various speedtests (google, fast.com, speedtest) on my VM and from the terminal cli). I haven't seen any difference in data transfers with mc/krusader. I also tried NZBget docker containter just now and it's the same download speeds.

Thank you for your help so far!

• 6 months later...
On 8/16/2019 at 2:00 PM, bucnast16 said:

- Yeah, I saw all the csrf stuff. Appreciate the link to help with that.

- My docker image once filled up with docker-child-images and I had to increase it and haven't looked into decreasing it yet.

- The lack of speed I'm seeing is with downloading from the internet. I'm downloading from my Sabnzbd docker image to the cache drive, the downloads share that is set to Prefer cache. I've tried various speedtests (google, fast.com, speedtest) on my VM and from the terminal cli). I haven't seen any difference in data transfers with mc/krusader. I also tried NZBget docker containter just now and it's the same download speeds.

Thank you for your help so far!

Did you ever find a solution to this or reason?

I have an even more strange issue. My docker images have good internet speed. Sometimes, I've been testing 800mbit download and same up. I have a 1/1gig internet connection. Best ever speed has been 950mbit. However, unraid itself has some issues. I can pull down ubuntu iso files fine from Wellington, New Zealand in a few hundred mbit speed. I installed the speedtest app and it use to show mid 700 mbit speeds. However, a few days ago, I constantly getting

# speedtest --server 4954
Retrieving speedtest.net configuration...
Testing from Vodafone New Zealand (n.n.n.n)...
Retrieving speedtest.net server list...
Retrieving information for the selected server...
Hosted by Vodafone New Zealand (Wellington) [254.27 km]: 3069.999 ms
Testing download speed................................................................................
Download: 3.35 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed................................................................................................
Upload: 3.34 Mbit/s

I'm on the latest unraid immage.

Strange. As all other computers, including docker images are testing with many hundreds of mbit download speeds, I suspect it may be something with unraid.

Ps. I have installed the speedtest App for speed tests

Edited by martinf
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/26/2020 at 5:17 PM, martinf said:

Yay. something changed updated.

Now I'm getting 2020-03-27 10:13 FriTrustpower Ltd (Tauranga)224.58 km17.171 ms

Down 616.95 Mbit/s  Upp 103.89 Mbit/s

:)

do you remember what you did to get this fixed? my VMs are all topping out at about 70Mbit ... even though I have 400Mbit. If i boot Unraid with GUI, i can get about 360Mbit, which is what I used to get in my VMs (same hardware) on ESXi. Even creating a new VM doesn't seem to help. 

On 4/21/2020 at 9:26 AM, axeman said:

do you remember what you did to get this fixed? my VMs are all topping out at about 70Mbit ... even though I have 400Mbit. If i boot Unraid with GUI, i can get about 360Mbit, which is what I used to get in my VMs (same hardware) on ESXi. Even creating a new VM doesn't seem to help. 

It fixed itself after my post. 

In my testings I also installed Firefox as a docker app. It had good speed, along with some other apps. One docker app have manage to get speeds over 800Mbit. Currently, my unraid "speedtest" never go above 650. Putting that down to the speedtest app and the remote end.

I never got to the stage where I uninstalled and reinstalled the speedtest software. 

At the same time (as I found out after my initial post), I had the "same" problem with the speed test checking from my firewall.

I _think_ the problem was on my ISP side... Possible filtering something to keep the bandwidth down. 

/M